Contract Breakdown - Jerry Hughes

Estro

Many deals include funny money on the backend, so I like to take a look at the fine details of contracts signed. Here are the cash breakdowns of Jerry's newly inked 5 year deal (all information from spotrac.com, which I will link at the bottom). Keep in mind this is how the cash will be disbursed over his 5 year contract:

2015: $11.775M (fully guaranteed)

2016: $10.675M ($6M guaranteed)

2017: $7.55M

2018: $7.5M

2019: $7.5M

Total disbursements = $45M over 5 years

One thing that sticks out to me is the fact that Hughes will receive 50% of his total deal in cash within the first 2 years of the 5 year deal. That's great for Jerry and his agent. From their perspective, It's essentially a 2 year - $22.45M deal, followed by three 1 year team options worth $7.5M/year. This is where the Bills win the deal, IMO, but only if Hughes is still playing at a quality level. The last 3 years at $7.5M per season will look like a relative bargain in 2017-2019 when Hughes will be 29-31 years old (still not over the hill).

Lastly, the more I look at this contract the more I like it for the Bills. Spotrac.com did a feature piece leading up to FA in which they predicted the value of the key FA's to be. They had Jerry's predicted contract value @ 6 years - $60.945M w/ $20.7M. Clearly, they think the Bills signed Hughes for much less than his worth on the open market. And for those who might think they just suck at guessing, many of the other FA signings around the league have come in north of their predictions.

You can see for yourself here: http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/projecting-contracts-for-notable-2015-free-agents-504/

Jerry's contract breakdown here: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes/

but only if Hughes is still playing at a quality level. The last 3 years at $7.5M per season will look like a relative bargain in 2017-2019 when Hughes will be 29-31 years old (still not over the hill).

That will certainly be the key. Cap hits are $10.4M over the last 3 years, but we can get away from it rather painlessly after 4 years if things take an unexpected turn.

The problem is that I seriuosly doubt Hughes plays to the end of that contract as once he starts getting paid 7.5 per he'll start grumbling for a new contract. So In that sense the Bills didnt really save money on it as they'll likely have to do redo it 2-3 years from now.

That looks like a better deal for the Bills than I would have expected if that's the entirety of it. Difficult to think Hughes won't be here for the duration. I thought there were some escalators/bonuses mentioned in the original report of the deal. Any word on those, or was that incorrect?

The problem is that I seriuosly doubt Hughes plays to the end of that contract as once he starts getting paid 7.5 per he'll start grumbling for a new contract. So In that sense the Bills didnt really save money on it as they'll likely have to do redo it 2-3 years from now.

he can grumble all he wants (even though I dont think he will, hes been paid his money up front), we own him until after 2019, and I dont expect them to redo the contract 2-3 years from now....so yes, we did really save money

• 4 months later...

No way the Bills re-do this deal in 2-3 years. That's ridiculous.

I think it is great. His numbers over the last few years make it very easy to sign and keep other players. They could do something with Marcel where his numbers are higher during the years where Jerry's are lower and still get him paid. Very, very smart to structure a contract where they aren't hamstrung and can't pay other good players in the future. Love it.

I think it is great. His numbers over the last few years make it very easy to sign and keep other players. They could do something with Marcel where his numbers are higher during the years where Jerry's are lower and still get him paid. Very, very smart to structure a contract where they aren't hamstrung and can't pay other good players in the future. Love it.

100%

So. If he's worth you do it. He gave us a discount going in. If he proves to be worth it do it no problem. Extend him and do right by him. We used to have to do this routinely with a lazy guy named Smith.

Show the talent reap the rewards.

Justin Houston just signed a 6 yr $106m deal with $52.5m guaranteed.

I know Houston might be a little better, but thank you Jerry fit taking that hometown discount!

clicked this thread to comment comping it to houston's deal.

feel really good about the numbers we signed hughes at now that we're seeing these new-salary-cap contracts come in.

There is always someone pissin in the punchbowl

Yes the bills absolutely saved money.