After signing Hughes, how are we gonna keep Dareus??

With HUGE $$$ already devoted to DL, and now re-signing Hughes to 5 yr 45mil, its gonna very VERY hard to lock up Mr. Big Stuff next yr. Maybe Mario re-structures or something but we have a ton of dough tied up in DL already and with Suh about to get more $$$ than JJ Watt did, Dareus is probably looking at those deals and salivating.

Hopefully it can be done, but IMO, if I had choice to lock up an elite DT like Dareus and had to chose which one to sign, it would be no brainer, Dareus over Hughes.

At least we are a yr away from this situation and so many things can happen but it was the first thing that came to mind after seeing the money Suh is about to get and us re-signing Hughes.

Hughes would be ALOT easier to replace than Dareus.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus will get done and will get a contract more along the lines of what McCoy got in Tampa then what Suh got.

Im not worried about Dareus at all actually and think he is the one person the Bills would use the franchise tag on if needed. The only concern would be if Dareus just didnt want to be with the Bills but i dont see that being the case so Im confident he will get extended at some point. Players also seem to love playing for Rex so playing one year under him if a deal doesnt get done before this season can only help as well.

Cap is also expected to really jump next few years with new TV deal kicking in.

Edited by Max997

how are we gonna keep Dareus??

By paying him with the money we have. No problem.

Expect it to be done like the Hughes deal. As in, it probably wont get done until right before FA hits. Dareus is going to want to play out this year so he has one more great year to use in negotiations. That's not the FO's fault.

By paying him with the money we have. No problem.

Expect it to be done like the Hughes deal. As in, it probably wont get done until right before FA hits. Dareus is going to want to play out this year so he has one more great year to use in negotiations. That's not the FO's fault.

I actually think they might get a deal done during the season. Dareus was signed to Pegula's agency before he became owner so there is a level of comfort there.

You can manipulate the cap when you have an owner willing and able to turn future money into signing bonus.

Don't worry about the cap.

ive been saying same thing but some people dont agree with it for some reason

Salary cap space is a soft number that can change at any given time so worrying about it is a waste of time. If a team wants to sign a player and that player wants to sign with that team a deal will get done.

We will be able to get a deal done with Mario restructuring but it probably means that this time next year we won't be looking at a flurry of free agents and trades etc... and will be more focused on tying down our own - Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn.

There are some obvious saving still on our roster as well of guys who at most will be here one more year - Lawson, C.Williams, Urbik - those three alone save in the region of $5million then the others who might be more surprising casulaties are Kyle Williams who would save $7million and Leodis who saves another $3million.

Edited by GunnerBill

With Marcel's impending legal "bother" and inconsistent history, I wonder if signing before he hits FA (maybe even this season) might not be in his best interest. Heaven forbid he suffers a major injury this year. His stock is about as high as it's gonna get right now.

We will be able to get a deal done with Mario restructuring but it probably means that this time next year we won't be looking at a flurry of free agents and trades etc... and will be more focused on tying down our own - Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn.

There are some obvious saving still on our roster as well of guys who at most will be here one more year - Lawson, C.Williams, Urbik - those three alone save in the region of $5million then the others who might be more surprising casulaties are Kyle Williams who would save $7million and Leodis who saves another $3million.

and if Glenn plays like he did last year, he won't get a big contract.

I loved what someone posted in another thread earlier. Please take due credit since I'm not giving proper props:

How did Saints sign Byrd? How did Miami get Suh? Cap is crap. Don't worry about it.

They'll figure it out. There's always ways to restructure. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

I don't believe it will be as hard as you think.

If what I read was correct, Shady McCoy's deal is top heavy this season $16 Mil

it's due to drop $5 min in 2016 and another $5 min in 2017.

There is plenty of space to get it done. Please don't panic

and if Glenn plays like he did last year, he won't get a big contract.

Well he'd certainly get less that is true. I don't think he was terrible last year he was just above average. The problem was that in 2013 he was bordering on looking elite. Wasn't it 1 sack given up all season in 2013? That is ridiculous.

Other player next year will be released for younger fresher bodies. Also restructuring of contracts...

Let's worry about winning this year though.

Well he'd certainly get less that is true. I don't think he was terrible last year he was just above average. The problem was that in 2013 he was bordering on looking elite. Wasn't it 1 sack given up all season in 2013? That is ridiculous.

Doug Marrone effect...