After signing Hughes, how are we gonna keep Dareus??

So is this the new thing everyone is going to freak out about?

They gave McCoy money, there's none left for Hughes!!!

They gave Hughes money, there's none left for Dareus!!!

They gave Darues money, there's none left for Gilmore!!!

etc, etc.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With HUGE $$$ already devoted to DL, and now re-signing Hughes to 5 yr 45mil, its gonna very VERY hard to lock up Mr. Big Stuff next yr. Maybe Mario re-structures or something but we have a ton of dough tied up in DL already and with Suh about to get more $$$ than JJ Watt did, Dareus is probably looking at those deals and salivating.

Hopefully it can be done, but IMO, if I had choice to lock up an elite DT like Dareus and had to chose which one to sign, it would be no brainer, Dareus over Hughes.

At least we are a yr away from this situation and so many things can happen but it was the first thing that came to mind after seeing the money Suh is about to get and us re-signing Hughes.

Hughes would be ALOT easier to replace than Dareus.

Before the Hughes deal the Bills had $50 million in cap space next year. They have $100 million in cap space in two years.

I don't believe it will be as hard as you think.

If what I read was correct, Shady McCoy's deal is top heavy this season $16 Mil

it's due to drop $5 min in 2016 and another $5 min in 2017.

There is plenty of space to get it done. Please don't panic

thats cash, not cap. its pretty flat cap wise.

Dareus will get done and will get a contract more along the lines of what McCoy got in Tampa then what Suh got.

Im not worried about Dareus at all actually and think he is the one person the Bills would use the franchise tag on if needed. The only concern would be if Dareus just didnt want to be with the Bills but i dont see that being the case so Im confident he will get extended at some point. Players also seem to love playing for Rex so playing one year under him if a deal doesnt get done before this season can only help as well.

Cap is also expected to really jump next few years with new TV deal kicking in.

You really think he get get Mccoy money more so than Suh money??? I highly disagree.... Agents also know the cap goes up, meaning, more $$$$. I would take Marcel over but for arguments sake, lets call them pretty even... Why would he take less than let's say JJ Watt's deal when his value on open market could easily be AT LEAST Suh;s deal...

Teams drool over getting DT like Dareus. He can fit ANY scheme, 3-4 or 4-3. Is space eater and great vs run (which is what is most important factor in DT) AND he is excellent pass rusher from the inside which is very rare nowadays. Very few DT's get 10 sacks

etc, etc.

how are we gonna sign Sammy in 3 years????

We will be able to get a deal done with Mario restructuring but it probably means that this time next year we won't be looking at a flurry of free agents and trades etc... and will be more focused on tying down our own - Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn.

There are some obvious saving still on our roster as well of guys who at most will be here one more year - Lawson, C.Williams, Urbik - those three alone save in the region of $5million then the others who might be more surprising casulaties are Kyle Williams who would save $7million and Leodis who saves another $3million.

I would bet $ this will be KW's last year. He'll be 33 going into the 2016 season with $7m of pure cap space freed up if released. Maybe it will be time to put Charles in charge?

Edited by TPS

I've said it before: give Mario a new contract to lower his $20M cap hit and they'll have the money to extend Dareus.

or just expect mario to be gone in a few years and structure dareus to transition into the "big contract" slot that mario occupies (not that you can only have 1)

I would bet $ this will be KW's last year. He'll be 33 going into the 2016 season with $7m of pure cap space freed up if released. Maybe it will be time to put Charles in charge?

i agree we dont see KW for long -- and is another way we can expect the composition of the roster/cap to change.

despite having 4 guys that can get after it, wouldnt be shocked if they try to fill all the holes in FA and add a rex ryan D line player very early in the draft to help the long term transition (and of course bolster the rotation now)

Edited by NoSaint

I am beginning to trust this front office not to make moves without contemplating future moves. They're chess players now. Dareus and Gilmore are priorities 1a and 1b -- they know this, and it just doesn't seem practical for fans to "worry" about how it will all happen.

I am beginning to trust this front office not to make moves without contemplating future moves. They're chess players now. Dareus and Gilmore are priorities 1a and 1b -- they know this, and it just doesn't seem practical for fans to "worry" about how it will all happen.

Then what will we do in the off season...? :beer:

etc, etc.

The sky is always falling for some...

Mario will be restructured no matter what... Just when it happens is the question.

I disagree....if you restructure you push money in to later years and Mario could possibly be gone in 3 years...that's how you increase dead money and get in to cap trouble.

More than half of the time when I see posts like the OP, I wonder if they live in a bubble. Let's use McCoy as an example. Immediately after the trade, McCoy would count $10.25 million against the Bills cap this year. $1.00 million of that was guaranteed money, with the rest paid unless he was cut. Obviously highly unlikely. None the less, his cap hit before the new contract was essentially projected at what he would have been paid at $10.25 million. Now he signs a new deal for 5 years and over $40 million. $13.125 million signing bonus and guaranteed salary in 2015 of $2.625. If he meets his workout goals, he can make $16.0 million this year. Yet due to the way it is structured, the most he'll count against the cap for 2015 is $5.5 million. That's almost $5.0 million LESS than he counted before. In terms of Dareus, he counts $8.0 million against the cap this year. If he were structured like Suh is with Miami, the Bills would need another $8.0 million in cap space. Notwithstanding the fact that they have that space NOW, the cap is projected to grow by $10 million more in EACH of next two years.

So if we lived in a complete vacuum and assumed that everything was going to remain exactly as it is right now, maybe I would be concerned about next year and resigning Dareus and Gilmore. I don't live in a bubble though, so I'm not.

More than half of the time when I see posts like the OP, I wonder if they live in a bubble. Let's use McCoy as an example. Immediately after the trade, McCoy would count $10.25 million against the Bills cap this year. $1.00 million of that was guaranteed money, with the rest paid unless he was cut. Obviously highly unlikely. None the less, his cap hit before the new contract was essentially projected at what he would have been paid at $10.25 million. Now he signs a new deal for 5 years and over $40 million. $13.125 million signing bonus and guaranteed salary in 2015 of $2.625. If he meets his workout goals, he can make $16.0 million this year. Yet due to the way it is structured, the most he'll count against the cap for 2015 is $5.5 million. That's almost $5.0 million LESS than he counted before. In terms of Dareus, he counts $8.0 million against the cap this year. If he were structured like Suh is with Miami, the Bills would need another $8.0 million in cap space. Notwithstanding the fact that they have that space NOW, the cap is projected to grow by $10 million more in EACH of next two years.

So if we lived in a complete vacuum and assumed that everything was going to remain exactly as it is right now, maybe I would be concerned about next year and resigning Dareus and Gilmore. I don't live in a bubble though, so I'm not.

You know you're taking all the fun out of this.