SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

The Saints have 2 starting Gs with cap hits over 9 mil this season.

The Packers pay their starting Gs 6.8 and 5.8 each.

The Broncos pay Luis Vaszquez over 6.

The Eagles pay Evan Mathis 5.5

The Ravens pay Marshal Yanda close to 9.

Their cap numbers all rise into the high 6s to 8s, with Evans and Grubbs on the Saints both over 10.

Those are all widely viewed as teams smart with the cap.

Last year the Bills spent nearly $10 million on the combo of Urbik, Pears, and Williams. This year Urbik and Williams will cost us close to $7 unless we cut them after June 1, in which we'll save close to $5 mil.

Iupati is in the same class if not better than some of those Gs mentioned above. He was already making around $5 mil last year. Paying him 7 and Incognito 2 and drafting a G in Round 2 or 3, while cutting Urbik and Williams after June 1st is basically a wash money wise. I'd rather have the dominant player and a stop gap than pay 2 inferior guys basically the same amount of money.

Good post, especially in thinking about the combo price of the guards. But aren't thise teams struggling with the cap now?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, especially in thinking about the combo price of the guards. But aren't thise teams struggling with the cap now?

Saints are for sure, and I'm not advocating spending $20 mil + at the G position. I was more making the point that these teams value G as a position of importance. Those teams are all also paying QBs huge money, which we are not. Saints Brees is 25.

Rodgers is 18

Manning is 17.5

Flacco is 15

Saints are for sure, and I'm not advocating spending $20 mil + at the G position. I was more making the point that these teams value G as a position of importance. Those teams are all also paying QBs huge money, which we are not. Saints Brees is 25.

Rodgers is 18

Manning is 17.5

Flacco is 15

Good counter. And I certainly love the player. We need some mean Samoans on this team. It's not like paying the completey overrated Levitre a ton of money. So I certainly won't be mad about it.

But the GM needs to look out for the future as well. Glenn, Glenn, & Dareus are coming up for long term deals in big money positions. I just think G should be lower on the list of priorities. Jmo of course.

Saints viewed as a team smart with the cap? LMAO. They start this offseason at $17 million OVER the cap due to the way some of their players contracts are structured. It's been written in multiple articles that they're going to have to drop some serious contracts and talent to get under as well. To boot, they have a huge amount of "dead" money tied up in players. Jahri Evans cap number is $11 million this year, but $5 million counts against their cap no matter what. In total, they have over $50 million in dead money that will count towards the cap no matter what. I get that you're saying teams invest in the position, but I wouldn't call the Saints smart by any stretch.

we have been talking up Samoans for years.
I may guess that there is a very decent fit in FA besides _apati.

Blalock from the Falcons might be just what the Dr. ordered for Roman and Kromer.

let not get in bunch yet. There are some nice upgrades and Bills would be foolish not get another in FA and let our second year guys learn a bit more. both guard and tackle

The Saints are $16.4M over the cap right now and are looking at dumping at least one of those guards as well as making other moves to get where they need to be.

The logic: to build a beast Oline that can run the ball down people's throat at will. Our QBs suck pretty bad. If we can't pound the ball, out offense will suck. We lose. If you don't agree with the logic, fine by me, but the logic has been evident since we signed Rex. Run the ball. Need blockers to run the ball. Iupati is among the best in the league as a run blocker

I get the idea... Don't get me wrong... Still don't agree with over-paying at OG... Just don't agree with it... But it's not exactly up to me either...

And I'm not crazy about Iupati anyway... Yes he's an exceptional run blocker but that's not all he'll be asked to do... Teams are going to be stacking the box and daring the Bills to throw it... If you're going to spend crazy at OG at least pick a Guard that excells in all areas of blocking...

JMO of course... I'll fully admit Iupati is a ton better than what the Bills sent out there last season... And that's an understatement...

Not surprised chargers want him. Their guards were maybe worse than ours last year when I watched.

Even Chucky Reinwine?

And I think the Chargers will have a hard time attracting players since they're going to move soon.

No thanks. He'll want a boat load of money and with all the players the Bills need to resign I'd rather they spent the money there. Guards, good ones, can be found all over the draft.

Maybe? We haven't been able to find em though. Like him. Knows system would be a great acquisition. Cap space will free up soon enough. . . . . So this will happen.

Does Dareus need to be signed this year? I think they have him for one more? Regardless, I think they have the space especially if they let Pears go.

I think one more year. They can Franchise Tag him next year if they chose. It is something like a 20M tag.

Lou Potty allegedly asking for $8.5m per.

Free agent OG Mike Iupati is reportedly seeking $8.5 million per year.

The Chargers and Redskins have been the two most-connected teams to Iupati. The 49ers want him back, but reportedly not at his current asking price. Not yet 28 years old, Iupati is the top offensive lineman left on the market.

Boling time?

There are a lot of guys who would substantially upgrade our line. Boling one. I think Evans of the Saints will be released. I would love Blalock. Wiesnewski maybe. Franklin. I'm pretty sure we will sign a pretty good veteran name player for that position.

Lou Potty allegedly asking for $8.5m per.

Not worth it. Move to the second tier and sign someone there. Use difference in amount to help in signing someone at another position.

Edited by respk

It's probably about 1.5 million more than he should get. I was ok with 7-7.5 mil. His age is a plus though. With the cap going up in the next few years, 8 mil is probably his zone.

I like Orlando Franklin better, particularly with the amount of movement Roman asks of his guards. He better in pass pro as well.

If we're looking for a little economy it's probably cheaper to sign Wisniewski to play center and kick Wood over to Guard.