RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

Yes, but lets flesh it out. If all the QBs are currently backups (and I agree), and we are bringing them in, there's only 2 ways to go.

We are bringing them in to backup (so why would they leave their current cushy visor-wearing gigs), or we are bringing them in to UPGRADE the QB position. Bringing them in to possibly start.

Which in all, suggests that Whaley/Rex dont believe EJ is the "starter." They think that other teams' backups can start here.

So either you think we are bringing in backups, or we are bringing in potential starters. WHICH IS IT?

You are (should be) bringing in 2 vets to battle it out with EJ. You have OTAs, extra session because RomanRex is new, conditioning etc. You could cut one before camp if you're worried about snaps. Talent at the position is woefully thin......don't make it thinner by cutting someone before you have to. Don't make it thinner before the draft which may tie your hands and force you to pick someone early because you have to (see Manuel, EJ).

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imm admit that this doesnt make sense financially but from a football standpoint I have no major problem with it. As a fan I am going to trust Rex and Whaley until they do something to lose their trust but this isnt it. Do you think people in Jacksonville are happy they gave Gabbert all of those starts? Do the people in Cleveland regret on letting Quinn go so quickly? In hindsight dont you think Oakland regrets even starting Jamarcus even one time? If the player doesnt have it he doesnt have it, just let him go. EJ is never going to be a good starter in this league. A competent backup maybe but thats his ceiling. A year from now if EJ starts this whole season and proves what is extremely likely, that he is not good enough to be a starter, will everyone who is against this decide "Ok now we can cut him"? Why wait?

Id feel better if the rumor was that we were actively searching for a trade but my guess is theyve made calls and theres no market.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, just look at the track record of his biggest fanboys, they are almost always wrong. :( And speaking of accuracy, I don't think any other GM that has watched him play would be too interested in trading for him either. No big deal though IMO, always better to cut your losses early & move on.

always better to cut your losses early & move on.

a few people have posted similar casually as if its a true statement... and unless we are continuing to lose more by holding his rights, its simply not true. if there was a big bonus payment, or we couldnt bring a million guys to camp, or... sure. as is -why is it better?

a few people have posted similar casually as if its a true statement... and unless we are continuing to lose more by holding his rights, its simply not true. if there was a big bonus payment, or we couldnt bring a million guys to camp, or... sure. as is -why is it better?

it is better because it is a cliche and cliches, like hot pockets, are better

To me, there's nothing worse than false hope. If indeed the current braintrust has determined that he can't cut it, there's no need to waste any more time.

If this happens then I would seriously question the judegment of Rex/Roman. Why would you cut a QB that you have not seen live even in a practice. Everyone hated the OC last year. Orton sucked in last years offense too. McCown sucked last year and most oh his career too. The offensive line was a disaster. Fred is old and broken down. CJ sucked again. A new HC/OC can make a judgement on EJ never seeing him in a practice with no financial reason to cut him????

Cutting EJ would be just plain stupid unless they trade for Bradford.

As others have said I think this is just BS.

Edited by Dragonborn10

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

1. They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  2. They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.

Yup. The 'why cut him' and 'hurts the cap' arguments are all moot if Rex & Whaley agree on #1.

And if they agree on #1 and cut him, it certainly stands to reason they are going to find a young QB either via draft or trade to develop while backing up McCown or whatever vet they sign, and if they do that, #2 makes perfect sense.

Still....wow.

Why would you cut a QB that you have not seen live even in a practice.

Because they've both seen him play in enough actual games to know what he's capable of.

Well, that should be for the GM to figure out and not fickle fans. Charlie Whitehurst got trade for like a 2nd. Gabbert got traded.

If this source is indeed correct, he is hurting the Bills by leaking this. Again if Locker/ McCown/ Sanchez were here for their first 2 years, folks would have wanted them gone too. Now, they might be "the answers." Fans are funny.

Yeah Whitehurst got a second but the key was there was limited tape on his play. Same thing with a guy like Rob Johnson. The problem with EJ is they got what 14-15 games of film on him. My guess is if they had more tape on Whitehirst/ROJO they would of never gotten the return that their teams that traded him got.

Edited by Gordio

Yes, but lets flesh it out. If all the QBs are currently backup-quality (and I agree), and we are chasing them / bringing them in, there's only 2 ways to go.

We are bringing them in to backup (so why would they leave their current cushy visor-wearing gigs?), or we are bringing them in to UPGRADE the QB position. Bringing them in to possibly start.

Which in all, suggests that Whaley/Rex dont believe EJ is the "starter" because it doesnt "feel" like they are chasing McCown et al to backup. They think that other teams' backups can start here.

So either you think we are bringing in backups, or we are bringing in potential starters. WHICH IS IT?

My main point is that I think Whaley/Rex are bringing in other teams' backups because they are BETTER than what we have. And yes, they have had time to fully evaluate the QB situation.

The next time Rex Ryan goes to the tattoo shop he should get "Dope" tattooed on his forehead if this is true.

Josh McCown sucks, he's a horrifically bad QB who's clearly not better than EJ Manuel and Manuel is a decade younger, faster and much less turnover prone.

The Rex Ryan era has officially jumped the shark if this stuff is true. "Insider" information regarding their stand up Bills QB EJ Manuel being leaked to a TSW poster? Very weak and classless which, with Rex in charge, would totally fit this franchise to a T now.

The next time Rex Ryan goes to the tattoo shop he should get "Dope" tattooed on his forehead if this is true.

Josh McCown sucks, he's a horrifically bad QB who's clearly not better than EJ Manuel and Manuel is a decade younger, faster and much less turnover prone.

The Rex Ryan era has officially jumped the shark if this stuff is true. "Insider" information regarding their stand up Bills QB EJ Manuel being leaked to a TSW poster? Very weak and classless which, with Rex in charge, would totally fit this franchise to a T now.

If anything screams emotionally invested in player, it's this.

There is no benefit to cutting Manuel at this time. (if there are, please provide them)

It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but if the coaching staff feels that there is little chance of EJ winning the starting job in camp, then there is little reason to keep him (and based on last year's camp, EJ doesn't have a chance in hell). We aren't auditioning for the backup position.

The ironic thing is that if EJ was picked in the 3rd round, this wouldn't even be an issue. But because he was overdrafted, fans have deluded themselves into thinking there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- we just have to be patient. "It's Marrone's fault," "It's Hackett's fault," "You can't judge a QB after 14 games," are all prime examples of the wishful thinking that's spouted ad nauseam.

I would be surprised if he is cut, but I would understand.

Because they've both seen him play in enough actual games to know what he's capable of.

Exactly. Rex knows EJ. He was in the division! He game-planned for him. They drafted Geno the same year, which means he evaluated EJ during that draft process. Rex knows what he's got in EJ. There is certainly hope that EJ can do more in his career and I definitely understand the opinions of everyone who thinks this is the wrong move, but thinking the coaches do not having enough info on EJ to form their own opinion is pretty ridiculous. Edited by Acantha

It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but if the coaching staff feels that there is little chance of EJ winning the starting job in camp, then there is little reason to keep him (and based on last year's camp, EJ doesn't have a chance in hell). We aren't auditioning for the backup position.

The ironic thing is that if EJ was picked in the 3rd round, this wouldn't even be an issue. But because he was overdrafted, fans have deluded themselves into thinking there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- we just have to be patient. "It's Marrone's fault," "It's Hackett's fault," "You can't judge a QB after 14 games," are all prime examples of the wishful thinking that's spouted ad nauseam.

I would be surprised if he is cut, but I would understand.

I agree whole heartedly. Lets move forward as a franchise instead of just hoping. If the guy had it he would have shown that at some point. Every review from practice and especially training camp last year were terrible. In game play was bad as well. Maybe it was Marrones doing but hes not turning into someone hes not. Theres no way I can envision how McCown or Locker or whoever is markedly worse.

And I'd add:

3) The Bills already have a free-agent QB [coughSanchezcough] lined up

4) Maybe a back up like McCown, too

They could do a complete revamp and get a developmental quarterback in the draft as well. This wouldn't be a bad QB depth chart:

Sanchez

McCown

Mannion

I disagree, that would be a very poor QB depth chart, IMHO.

Why are some here saying that he played "well" in Philly this year? He had a 14-11 TD/INT ratio which isn't stellar and his career ratio is 82-80 with a 204 yards/game average. That is not inspiring, but I'll grant that is better than McCown.

If they cut Manuel, it would say that he is just putrid in their opinion. I didn't see that in the 14 games he played. He had some terrible games, yes, but he also had some pretty decent games, too.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I just ask myself how would cutting EJ be benificial for the team and I can't come up with an answer

CBF

I'm not saying it is the case, but if it were the case that they had 3 or 4 guys they thought were substantially better options, or if based on practice were convinced he had no realistic shot of progressing it might make more sense to invest your time and attention elsewhere.

Think Trent Edwards.

Imm admit that this doesnt make sense financially but from a football standpoint I have no major problem with it. As a fan I am going to trust Rex and Whaley until they do something to lose their trust but this isnt it. Do you think people in Jacksonville are happy they gave Gabbert all of those starts? Do the people in Cleveland regret on letting Quinn go so quickly? In hindsight dont you think Oakland regrets even starting Jamarcus even one time? If the player doesnt have it he doesnt have it, just let him go. EJ is never going to be a good starter in this league. A competent backup maybe but thats his ceiling. A year from now if EJ starts this whole season and proves what is extremely likely, that he is not good enough to be a starter, will everyone who is against this decide "Ok now we can cut him"? Why wait?

Id feel better if the rumor was that we were actively searching for a trade but my guess is theyve made calls and theres no market.

Do you also feel that J'vlle should cut Blake Bortles? After all, his rookie year was not very good - guess he'll never be any good...