RAMBO: Why we dont need to sign Searcy

for those who have a better understanding of the safety position than I do:

is duke williams... good? like what are we working with here? is he a top-64 safety?

He is, or can be this year. That awful PI against New England was not typical of his play. He is physical, fast and a good tackler. He fell in the draft due to some issues with his size and some off-field issues.

Height: 6004 Weight: 211 40 Yrd Dash: 4.53 20 Yrd Dash: 2.60 10 Yrd Dash: 1.56 Vertical Jump: 34 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'09" 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26 3-Cone Drill: 6.94

It was reported by Sports Talk 980 on April 29, 2013 by Steve Czaban that the reason Rambo slipped so far in the NFL Draft was because of two failed drug tests in 2011 and 2012. Had the tests not been failed Bacarri was projected to have gone as high as the second or third round in 2013.

Thanks Wikipedia. I'm not saying he may not be a decent replacement to Searcy, but the "dropped in the draft" excuse at this point in his career is hogwash. Regardless of where he was drafted, he was still cut a year in a half after being drafted, which raises a red flag right there in my mind. Wouldn't that mean it would be worse if a second or third round talent was cut after a year? Typically (with some exceptions) teams at least give guys 2 years, regardless of the round.

Good size, good speed. Hes only 24 years old and when he got to play when Searcy went down he stepped up and intercepted the best quarterback in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers) twice:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000443429/Bacarri-Rambo-intercepts-Aaron-Rodgers

Im calling it right now, this guy is why we are going to let Searcy walk.

One game doesn't make a career.

Thanks Wikipedia. I'm not saying he may not be a decent replacement to Searcy, but the "dropped in the draft" excuse at this point in his career is hogwash. Regardless of where he was drafted, he was still cut a year in a half after being drafted, which raises a red flag right there in my mind. Wouldn't that mean it would be worse if a second or third round talent was cut after a year? Typically (with some exceptions) teams at least give guys 2 years, regardless of the round.

One game doesn't make a career.

No crap. Im just saying that the bills are going to let him walk and Rambo is going to be the guy replacing him. Calling it right now. Feel free to tag this post and pull it up after training camp.

Why not use the franchise tag on Searcy? Like our Dline, our secondary feeds off each other. Yeah we could let Hughes walk and probably still generate a big pass rush. Yeah we could let Searcy walk and still have good coverage... But why? I Think Searcy is a guys that needs to be signed at all costs, more so than Hughes.

We have three all pros on our line already that can make up for a less than elite player on the line if hughes walks. In our secondary, we have four "good" players. We cannot afford to have 3 good players and 1 below avg safety with D. Williams or Rambo.

Sign Searcy!

Why not use the franchise tag on Searcy? Like our Dline, our secondary feeds off each other. Yeah we could let Hughes walk and probably still generate a big pass rush. Yeah we could let Searcy walk and still have good coverage... But why? I Think Searcy is a guys that needs to be signed at all costs, more so than Hughes.

We have three all pros on our line already that can make up for a less than elite player on the line if hughes walks. In our secondary, we have four "good" players. We cannot afford to have 3 good players and 1 below avg safety with D. Williams or Rambo.

Sign Searcy!

You want to tag Searcy for a one-year guaranteed contract of $9M while we try to sign Hughes, other UFAs, and extend Dareus and Glenn?

Like Whaley has alluded to several times, Searcy just may command a much higher salary as a starter than we have him slotted for. I like Searcy but it seems he's either making a big play or giving one up. If we can make him happy with an offer and he wants to stay, GREAT, but I don't think we should spend silly money on him either.

GO BILLS!!!

You and I have very different definitions of what stacked means.

I agree...Jonte Green, Rod Sweating and Mario Butler are a bunch of annual training camp scrubs. Green was cut by the Lions, who have long been desperate for cornerbacks. Brooks and Cockrell are the only CB's out of that group who have a shot at making the team. (Besides Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, Robey.) Nobody is trading for Cockrell, Ladler or Meeks, either...they've done absolutely nothing.

And if Searcy walks, he will most likely be replaced by a platoon of Duke and Rambo, like how they replaced Byrd with Duke and Searcy...either way, I really don't think this is a concern, at all.

I'm going to guess that Searcy clears $5M/year as a UFA

in this market with his experience it is tough to say. I look at browner in NE and what he got as a CB with more experience. I don't know... he is worth $5mm to me but at the same time maybe not to us.

I'd offer 3 or 4 yrs, $4mm/yr with $7mm guaranteed. Half the first two years, $1mm the last two.

Searcy adds a lot to the team. His ability to play special teams and his meshing with the current team are very important. I could see him going to Cleveland, New England or a team that values DB's. I think he will get around $3.5-4mm/yr. He deserves it.

Problem is, he will likely get paid more than that IMO.

On one hand, he got cut by the Redskins who have a weak secondary as is. On the other, he got a year and a half of development at their expense. Maybe we got lucky and picked him up as he was about to turn the corner.

I think it was a level of dedication, and taking playing in the NFL for granted. He was very successful at UGA, most likely despite him doing little to no extra work. He still had that approach on the Skins, and learned real quick skating by on athletic talent doesnt fly in the NFL. You gotta do your homework.

He has said that the weeks he sat at home between being cut by the Skins and being picked up by the Bills was the biggest eye-opener for the opportunity he wasted, and he approached preparing for games with the Bills in a completely different manner.

If he's truly learned that lesson, coupled with working with Donnie Henderson and the vet DBs we have on this team, he could very easily turn the corner and start living up to his potential.

Heres to hoping he figured it out.

the market is going to let him but his production will not garner the money in the long run. Just like Byrd whom will be cut or restructured before his contract is up.

I see Searcy more like the Jabari Greer than Byrd. Another team will pay Searcy more than the Bills are willing to, but it wont break the bank, and he'll have a chance of living up to the contract.

I like our depth at DB, and that we dont really need to re-sign him. But man, I really wish we would. It could be the difference between an excellent backfield and a Championship backfield.

Edited by DrDareustein

Height: 6004 Weight: 211 40 Yrd Dash: 4.53 20 Yrd Dash: 2.60 10 Yrd Dash: 1.56 Vertical Jump: 34 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'09" 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26 3-Cone Drill: 6.94

It was reported by Sports Talk 980 on April 29, 2013 by Steve Czaban that the reason Rambo slipped so far in the NFL Draft was because of two failed drug tests in 2011 and 2012. Had the tests not been failed Bacarri was projected to have gone as high as the second or third round in 2013.

Good size, good speed. Hes only 24 years old and when he got to play when Searcy went down he stepped up and intercepted the best quarterback in the NFL (Aaron Rodgers) twice:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000443429/Bacarri-Rambo-intercepts-Aaron-Rodgers

Im calling it right now, this guy is why we are going to let Searcy walk.

That's nice and everything, but those combine numbers aren't impressive, and he was a 5th round pick that disappointed in Washington. He had one nice game for the Bills, but he's a backup. He's well behind Duke Williams on the roster, and I doubt the Bills are even considering him as a starter, if he makes the team at all.

As far as "would have, should have, could have" that goes for many players...Darick Rogers, Kouandjio, Richardson, all projected higher at one point...none of them lived up to that hype...And I was a big fan of that Georgia team, he didn't slip in the draft just because of drug tests. There were serious questionmarks with his game.

I like Rambo, I liked the pickup...but let's not go declaring him the next great thing yet.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

for those who have a better understanding of the safety position than I do:

is duke williams... good? like what are we working with here? is he a top-64 safety?

the Duke has shown many clueless moments on the field. Yes, he made some plays last year, but he is not consistent. I, for one, am not sure he is starter material. Rambo seems like a candidate, but why is this guy kicking around the league if he is so good. Lets see where it shakes out in training camp. As for Searcy, he needs to go where the money is......he has earned it showing he is an NFL starter. As for the depth in the backfield....I agree that mostly. I certainly don't see the need to drop $20 mil to get Revis....when there are so many crying needs on the offensive side of the ball. One rap on Rex Ryan coming out of NYC was that he picked his guys, and never gave up on them when other options were there. Revis may be great, but he is poison in the locker room....I don't want to see him in a Bills uniform.

Edited by bigK14094

I will say this about Duke Williams. He had some really bad moments (one particularly terrible PI in the endzone), however he got more playing time as last year went on, and certainly seemed to improve in my view. He was given much more deep cover responsibilities than Searcy, and showed very good hitting ability.

My one big criticism on him is that he played to far back on the ball, meaning he was often late to make plays. Some of that could have been scheme, and be correctable by coaching.

I think he has promise, much more so than he showed his rookie year...however he has to show some more improvement to prove he could be an every down starter.

Edited by Turbosrrgood