Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just once want a young elite QB go "nah I will just see what I get on the market." Then the Bills scoop them up of course...

they would be franchised and traded before they hit the market

• 3 weeks later...

it is interesting that they basically followed the same model we are trying to follow

- Cheap QB contract

- Money went into everything else AROUND the QB

It's just hard for it not to blow up when the QB performs as hoped and then is finishing that cheap rookie contract.

Paul Allen's salary cap = Pegs...

They have a chit ton of cap space next year. $111MM used for 2016 currently without restructures on what will be probably a $160MM cap. They will be fine. He will sign for about $20-25MM per.

Russel Wilson is going to get paid like Rodgers, Brady, Manning and I don't think he's even remotely in the same class. Part of the Squawks success has been their ability to build a dominant defense and incredible running game since they weren't burdened with the type of salary an elite QB commands. I think backing up the truck for Wilson will be the beginning of their descent back to the middle of the pack as less resources are available to sustain that D.

Russel Wilson is going to get paid like Rodgers, Brady, Manning and I don't think he's even remotely in the same class. Part of the Squawks success has been their ability to build a dominant defense and incredible running game since they weren't burdened with the type of salary an elite QB commands. I think backing up the truck for Wilson will be the beginning of their descent back to the middle of the pack as less resources are available to sustain that D.

Seems the Hawks believe similarly. They want to pay him "like a more highly skilled version of Andy Dalton."