Whaley: Bills have exchanged offers with Hughes

YoloinOhio

Didn't Baltimore win a SB with this approach? How many teams outside of Seattle can throw up the defensive pressure the Bills can? It makes more sense than holding out for some franchise savior to get cut/traded so you can tie up that cap space...

I always find the mentality weird when someone says "we should get ___ player" and then the next comment is "it doesn't matter if you don't have a franchise QB." So we shouldn't try to acquire good players because there is no QB?!? I'm glad that I am not alone in this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several implications to the re-signing, all positive I think. In addition to those called out above, doesn't this move say something about Rex, too? Many here and in the media said that Hughes became redundant with Rex bringing in his scheme, but now re-signing him becomes a priority. Does this mean that Rex is going to change how he schemes his front 7 to fit the huge talent he has available?

kj

It is literally the 1st big free agent in his prime he has had. I've told my Sabre friends we find out what type of owner's the Pegulas are by watching the Bills the next 2 years. Prime talent needs to be paid. Added bonus was a head coach search I did not expect, and he nailed that perfectly.

One positive in my mind is it says that Pegula isn't going to allow players to blossom under his control, only to lose those players' services to other teams when a player hits their prime. Pegula's willingness to reward high performers could change the losing culture that's been in place for so long.

Had Allan Branch and he left and won a Super Bowl.

Yes the Patriots won the Super Bowl because of Alan Branch. Please. Did you watch him play last preseason? He was flat out awful. If he has turned his attitude around good for him. The Bills did not miss him at all, and he was a very minor contributor to the pats at best.

I always find the mentality weird when someone says "we should get ___ player" and then the next comment is "it doesn't matter if you don't have a franchise QB." So we shouldn't try to acquire good players because there is no QB?!? I'm glad that I am not alone in this.

Hand in hand with this weird idea that you can only work on one negotiation at a time. And a not so distant cousin to "how dare that player..... do anything other than workout and study his playbook"

Yes the Patriots won the Super Bowl because of Alan Branch. Please. Did you watch him play last preseason? He was flat out awful. If he has turned his attitude around good for him. The Bills did not miss him at all, and he was a very minor contributor to the pats at best.

Branch was credited with 3.0 solo tackles. That's it.

I said it not long after El Pegual took control. He can't let the first stud free agent go on his watch. It's a matter of keeping Hughes, but also making a statement.

That's it right there. Well put!

Other new owners (Kahn) have taken the chump route. Make a statement with the product on the field, not with compfier seat cushions!

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

I thought it was interesting that Whaley said "until we find a Franchise QB," and not "Until we find or develop . . . ."

I wouldn't read too much into that. Whaley's smart enough to know he can't keep pushing the "EJ will be the guy" mantra, but "finding" a franchise QB could still certainly include the development of EJ.

I want to hear from Leroi again...he made the statement that EJ wouldn't be on the opening day roster (or something to that effect) and I wish we knew where that was coming from.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Whaley's smart enough to know he can't keep pushing the "EJ will be the guy" mantra, but "finding" a franchise QB could still certainly include the development of EJ.

I want to hear from Leroi again...he made the statement that EJ wouldn't be on the opening day roster (or something to that effect) and I wish we knew where that was coming from.

That was just leroi's personal opinion. Not from a source.

The tweet I referenced is from the guy with the source at OBD that we reference here fairly often. He drops "knowledge" which sometimes ends up validated. If it does, he just likes to point it out. It's a common theme. Amusing.

He said they weren't starting talks till the next week... They had been talking for a while now though. So his tweet isn't correct.

@WGR550: Whaley on signing Jerry Hughes: "Highly optimistic. That's our goal"

@WGR550: Whaley says he feels good about a deal with Hughes "coming to a conclusion in our favor"

got audio link? otherwise (to me) its a WGR looking for attention. Once bitten .... well actually I fell for their stories at least 3 times before I gave up believing them.