2015 RB Plans

Flip Johnson

The best realistic combos we can possibly get in the draft in my opinion is

#2 - TE -Clive Walford

#3- RB -Jay Ajayi

Or

#2- RB - Coleman or Duke

#3- TE- Nick O'Leary

We end up with 1 of these combos I'm doing cartwheels in my sleep.

Absolutely no way Jay Ajayi lasts til the 3rd round. He's one of the hottest names and will be climbing up the draft boards when it's all said and done.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no way Jay Ajayi lasts til the 3rd round. He's one of the hottest names and will be climbing up the draft boards when it's all said and done.

character issues, not a top speed guy, ACL tear in college and fumbling issues. Could fall. Would predict a 2nd round taker but lots of RBs this year to choose from.

both benefit from a strong passing game

I actually don't think that is a necessary correlation. There have been a number of productive low round/undrafted RBs without good passing games. Fred Jackson is the best example. arian foster did pretty well last year with fitz as QB. Matt Asiata had some productive games with the vikes QBs.

This is just to say that there are legitimately good RBs from round 1 to undrafted; just don't see the point in spending high picks on them.

I agree. I will throw something if they do that.

The Ravens got Forsett from the scrap heap and he made the pro bowl. Blount was grabbed from the waiver wire. I can name dozens of late drafted or undrafted RBs who had great careers.

These players and teams u mentioned have some great QBs. If we had Brady I'll take any Rb in the league with him. Flacco is also very good and they have a bulldozer line not to mention Gary Kubiak. The Bills don't have that attention seeking QB so we need talent at the RB spot. Adding a guy like Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman this yr is even more important because we don't have a 1st rounder. When we make a pk especially in the 2nd & 3rd rounds they need to be starting caliber players.

This is a GREAT RB draft. Gordon, Gurley, Cobb, Coleman, Ayjai, Yeldon, and Duke Johnson should all go in the 1st 2-3 rounds. I have a feeling that the Bills will be looking to add one of them.

Yes, I could see RB at #2. you can plug and play drafted RBs. not many positions in the NFL anymore where you can do that. FA for all else (TE, OL, QB) . Yes. good post. As long as they hit FA hard and win some good players, drafting RB 2 or 3 makes sense.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I actually don't think that is a necessary correlation. There have been a number of productive low round/undrafted RBs without good passing games. Fred Jackson is the best example. arian foster did pretty well last year with fitz as QB. Matt Asiata had some productive games with the vikes QBs.

This is just to say that there are legitimately good RBs from round 1 to undrafted; just don't see the point in spending high picks on them.

Arian Foster should have been a high pk but had some serious character concerns coming out of Tennessee.

I saw today that he will most likely end up in Indy

@SigmundBloom: would be big swing in FF value RT @Coltsfanwilson Report: Colts are Interested in Frank Gore and "Shoo-In" to Get Him http://t.co/6ZDDwW7uhu

I know this sounds a little crazy, but I am not sure that is the best move FOR Frank Gore, but maybe a good move the Colts.

Meaning I personally think Frank Gore is great and would be a tremendous asset on a running team, but that is not the colts, even though they are a good team in this league.

I think they could be 12-4 and back in the SB hunt, but Gore won't go for a 1,000 yards.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Here's a question:

What happens to Dixon's production/usage in comparison to the season just past if we do not draft a RB this year? I know it was a crowded backfield in San Fran' but I felt Roman and the staff never gave him a fair shot and was used more as a ST'er. If CJ goes that makes Fred the primary, right? Who sees the remaining bulk of the work load?

I bet you are right. Relative to other teams, we probably don't do this too often.

But since the last 15 years blends together, it seems like it happens every year (Antoine smith, Henry, mcgahee, spiller, lynch).

I don't know that there was necessarily a problem with any of the picks aside from picking guys who, for various reasons, didn't stick.

Antoine Smith helped carry the Pats to 2 SBs; McGahee carried us to a winning season before going off to Baltimore where he had a very productive career; Lynch carried Seattle to two SBs, winning 1 after he finally got his **** together; and Spiller was outstanding in the offense he was drafted to play in (in that situation it was the coach who didn't stick).

I left Henry out b/c he was a late 2nd rounder. I agree the Bills have traditionally overvalued the position, but having to keep replacing those guys who didn't stick has been the bigger problem IMO.

We're going to stick with Brown and Dixon. We'll free up money from dumping some guys like Spiller, C. Williams, Urbick, and Pears. We can go after Lupati and the best running game comes from a great line. See Dallas. Brown, Dixon, and Fredex will end up with a solid year.

Roman likes TE so we either pick up one free agent and one in the draft, or two total. A strong line, with a strong 12 personnel in 2 TE sets will help the running game.

We're not going after AP, or any other high priced running back. You definitely do not want one over 30. I don't see AP getting top money either wherever he ends up.

I have heard a lot of speculation about the Bills RB plans in 2015. I looked at Roman's tendencies from 2011-13 (the NFC championship years) for hints of what his preferences might be. They are very similar from year to year.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Smith/Kaepernick 94 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

If you look at the Bills personnel, I think you could make a couple educated guesses, based on Roman's past.

1) Roman wants a workhorse back, not a committee. Unless he loves Bryce Brown, that RB is not on the roster.

2) Spiller will be gone - he can't handle the 15-20+ carries that Gore got, and he will be too expensive for the 6-8 carries that James got.

3) Jackson will be a 3rd down/change of pace back.

4) Dixon will be a special teamer - he already was a special teamer for Roman and barely ever got the football.

5) It's understandable why Rex keeps reiterating that EJ needs to use his feet more. Whether EJ is the 2015 starter or not, the starting QB is going to need to be able to run 5-6 times a game.

6) If he doesn't cut it as a #1, I don't see what Bryce Brown will do for this team. I don't see him beating out Jackson as a 3rd down back unless Jackson is a surprise camp casualty.

Maybe Dixon didn't get the touches because of Gore?

Only one thing wrong with this theory. Fred is terrible in short yardage situations. Can't see him as a third down back. Would rather see Dixon in that situation. Fred would be more useful spelling whoever is the number one for a few carries each game.