2015 RB Plans

Flip Johnson

I have heard a lot of speculation about the Bills RB plans in 2015. I looked at Roman's tendencies from 2011-13 (the NFC championship years) for hints of what his preferences might be. They are very similar from year to year.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Smith/Kaepernick 94 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

If you look at the Bills personnel, I think you could make a couple educated guesses, based on Roman's past.

1) Roman wants a workhorse back, not a committee. Unless he loves Bryce Brown, that RB is not on the roster.

2) Spiller will be gone - he can't handle the 15-20+ carries that Gore got, and he will be too expensive for the 6-8 carries that James got.

3) Jackson will be a 3rd down/change of pace back.

4) Dixon will be a special teamer - he already was a special teamer for Roman and barely ever got the football.

5) It's understandable why Rex keeps reiterating that EJ needs to use his feet more. Whether EJ is the 2015 starter or not, the starting QB is going to need to be able to run 5-6 times a game.

6) If he doesn't cut it as a #1, I don't see what Bryce Brown will do for this team. I don't see him beating out Jackson as a 3rd down back unless Jackson is a surprise camp casualty.

Edited by Flip Johnson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting take. Thanks for posting. This would translate to:

270 carries - ?

80 carries - Fred Jackson

70 carries - EJ Manuel

My guess would be the guy getting the 270 + is going to be our pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Dixon and Brown will remain on the team,

In regards to brown, he will serve as a emergence back-up. Jackson couldn't handle that work load and will remain in the 80 carries, 50 catch, 3rd down role. Brown will be the 270 carry back up with Dixon backing up Fred (Shot in the dark).

I honestly think Brown *could* be the main guy but the coaching staff will determine that from his film. He's a power/speed back who is younger than some rookies and very little tread on the tires. I think if they do draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd, that shows they don't see Brown in that role.

I honestly think Brown *could* be the main guy but the coaching staff will determine that from his film. He's a power/speed back who is younger than some rookies and very little tread on the tires. I think if they do draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd, that shows they don't see Brown in that role.

This approach would allow the FO to address another hole in the draft (cough, cough, TE, cough, cough).

I have heard a lot of speculation about the Bills RB plans in 2015. I looked at Roman's tendencies from 2011-13 (the NFC championship years) for hints of what his preferences might be. They are very similar from year to year.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

If you look at the Bills personnel, I think you could make a couple educated guesses, based on Roman's past.

1) Roman wants a workhorse back, not a committee. Unless he loves Bryce Brown, that RB is not on the roster.

2) Spiller will be gone - he can't handle the 15-20+ carries that Gore got, and he will be too expensive for the 6-8 carries that James got.

4) Dixon will be a special teamer - he already was a special teamer for Roman and barely ever got the football.

5) It's understandable why Rex keeps reiterating that EJ needs to use his feet more. Whether EJ is the 2015 starter or not, the starting QB is going to need to be able to run 5-6 times a game.

6) If he doesn't cut it as a #1, I don't see what Bryce Brown will do for this team. I don't see him beating out Jackson as a 3rd down back unless Jackson is a surprise camp casualty.

I like and agree with your thought process. Except, I think they will see if and how Bryce Brown fits in which could be multiple ways depending on how they grade him. If he isn't the guy he could be an inactive game day back unless injury. So, our 4 th because Dixon is ST only.

This is a GREAT RB draft. Gordon, Gurley, Cobb, Coleman, Ayjai, Yeldon, and Duke Johnson should all go in the 1st 2-3 rounds. I have a feeling that the Bills will be looking to add one of them.

Lots of good RB's in this draft, and not many of the top ones (if any) gone in the 1st round. Could take the top TE in the 2nd, and a solid runner in the third.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

Great post by the way. Great numbers.

I think Dixon and B. Brown stay. Brown will be Jackson's injury back, Dixon as ST and ultimate reserve RB. Spiller is gone. Starter will be found in FA (Gore) or most likely draft.

Lots of good RB's in this draft, and not many of the top ones (if any) gone in the 1st round. Could take the top TE in the 2nd, and a solid runner in the third.

Great post by the way. Great numbers.

I think Dixon and B. Brown stay. Brown will be Jackson's injury back, Dixon as ST and ultimate reserve RB. Spiller is gone. Starter will be found in FA (Gore) or most likely draft.

Spiller and Jackson gone. Both are done.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

Great post. IMO the Bills draft a RB in either the 2nd or 3rd. Deep draft for RBs. They could sign a FA but he will probably be too much $ when you consider the Bills are trying to re-sign Hughes and sign other FAs. Brown needs to work on ball security if he wants to be a primary back. I see Brown competing with a RB, who is not on the roster yet, for the primary spot. If he gets beaten out, I see him like last year i.e. inactive unless some other RB gets hurt.

The best realistic combos we can possibly get in the draft in my opinion is

#2 - TE -Clive Walford

#3- RB -Jay Ajayi

Or

#2- RB - Coleman or Duke

#3- TE- Nick O'Leary

We end up with 1 of these combos I'm doing cartwheels in my sleep.

I would be thrilled. I'm starting to think that TE & RB will be the 1st 2 players picked (depending on FA). I don't see them chasing another young OL early. They have 3 from the last draft to develop and they may add 1 later. The next OL added will have NFL experience.

I would be thrilled. I'm starting to think that TE & RB will be the 1st 2 players picked (depending on FA). I

I agree unless they fall in love with Bryce Petty or (less likely) Brett Hundley. The Bills seemed intruiged by Petty given some of the comments at the Senior Bowl. I've also noticed an increasing amount of QB noise coming from Chris Brown and Murph recently. Might be nothing but maybe they have an inclination the team is looking at Quarterbacks seriously. I think it is a long shot but I wouldn't be shocked if one of our first two picks is at Quarterback.

I'd be cool with Ingram as long as he come under 4 mil a year and we still draft fresh legs