2015 RB Plans

Flip Johnson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. IMO the Bills draft a RB in either the 2nd or 3rd. Deep draft for RBs. They could sign a FA but he will probably be too much $ when you consider the Bills are trying to re-sign Hughes and sign other FAs. Brown needs to work on ball security if he wants to be a primary back. I see Brown competing with a RB, who is not on the roster yet, for the primary spot. If he gets beaten out, I see him like last year i.e. inactive unless some other RB gets hurt.

Brown wont be inactive because Spiller will be gone. The crop will be a RB thats drafted, FJ, Boobie, and Bryce.

The best realistic combos we can possibly get in the draft in my opinion is

#2 - TE -Clive Walford

#3- RB -Jay Ajayi

Or

#2- RB - Coleman or Duke

#3- TE- Nick O'Leary

We end up with 1 of these combos I'm doing cartwheels in my sleep.

Maxx tho...

(Marrone's opt out is scrolling while he makes this play, so it's fate.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBIeKJPFs-M

Maxx tho...

(Marrone's opt out is scrolling while he makes this play, so it's fate.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBIeKJPFs-M

If Maxx makes it to #50 the scroll will know what to do. Scroll make our selection for us. Maxx Williams is the pk. Btw he's a Williams it must be fate. Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I have heard a lot of speculation about the Bills RB plans in 2015. I looked at Roman's tendencies from 2011-13 (the NFC championship years) for hints of what his preferences might be. They are very similar from year to year.

Gore 282 carries

L.James 112 carries

Alex Smith 52 carries

Gore 258 carries

L. James 72 carries

Smith/Kaepernick 94 carries

Gore 276 carries

L.James 78 carries

Kaepernick 92 carries

If you look at the Bills personnel, I think you could make a couple educated guesses, based on Roman's past.

1) Roman wants a workhorse back, not a committee. Unless he loves Bryce Brown, that RB is not on the roster.

2) Spiller will be gone - he can't handle the 15-20+ carries that Gore got, and he will be too expensive for the 6-8 carries that James got.

3) Jackson will be a 3rd down/change of pace back.

4) Dixon will be a special teamer - he already was a special teamer for Roman and barely ever got the football.

5) It's understandable why Rex keeps reiterating that EJ needs to use his feet more. Whether EJ is the 2015 starter or not, the starting QB is going to need to be able to run 5-6 times a game.

6) If he doesn't cut it as a #1, I don't see what Bryce Brown will do for this team. I don't see him beating out Jackson as a 3rd down back unless Jackson is a surprise camp casualty.

That was my thought initially as well, Brown and Dixon to be the RB tandem. I went back and did some research on Dixon's #'s while under Roman as OC to further solidify your point on A.D.

Rushing Stats

Year G GS Att Yds Avg TD

2013 16 1 28 56 2.0 2

2012 16 0 21 78 3.7 2

2011 16 0 29 87 3.0 2

TOTAL 78 221 2.9 6

Receiving Stats

Year G GS Rec Yds Avg TD

2013 16 1 3 30 10.0 0

2012 16 0 -- -- -- --

2011 16 0 1 6 6.0 0

From what I can see Boobie D. was not heavily used in Roman's system and after looking at it, I don't expect we'll see much of a change. I may very well be wrong as this is just my opinion. I see nothing more than the role of an emergency backup RB and a definite ST player as pointed out by the OP. My hunch is the RB position will receive a complete makeover.

Edit: my apologies for my columns not lining up correctly, i am doing this from my phone.

Edited by FLbills

It might not indicate that he wants a workhorse, it may indicate that he had Frank Gore at RB

This is a great point.

I'm not convinced Fred will be very useful going forward. He has heart, he has drive, but he's yet another year older... MAYBE if blocking gets better, he'll resurface as a solid back, but still not the guy I want to lean on all game. I'd like to see Brown get a chance, and I'd like to either see us go after someone like Ingram, or draft one of the better RBs.

This running back class is loaded. We will take one in the 2nd round. RBs are at their max their value in their early to mid 20s so it doesn't make sense to get a FA or trade for one.

I think the point of the RB class being loaded is that we dont have to take one in the 2nd.

If it was thin, we might. But since 0-1 will go in the first round (if history is any indication), we can wait until the 3rd and still get a solid one.

Basically, in the new NFL, the 2nd round for RBs is like the 3rd round for top OGs and Centers. Its their first round.

Edited by maddenboy

it doesn't make sense to get a FA

Mark Ingram just turned 25 and still has fresh legs. Landing a Pro Bowl-quality RB without using a valuable draft pick (that would be better used to bolster the TE or OL depth) is good asset management, IMO.

The deep RB draft class should depress Ingram's market value and make a FA signing at that position much cheaper than at TE or OL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471168/article/loomis-mark-ingrams-saints-future-hinges-on-cap

I honestly think Brown *could* be the main guy but the coaching staff will determine that from his film. He's a power/speed back who is younger than some rookies and very little tread on the tires. I think if they do draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd, that shows they don't see Brown in that role.

My thoughts exactly

If we use ANOTHER top pick on a RB... I would freak out. The position just isnt worth it. Have we learned nothing from NE rb philosophy? Use dixon, jackson, and brown. For consistency in the run game, the line is the key, not the backs. Argueing for a guy just bc of the Homerun factor has little weight in my mind.

If we use ANOTHER top pick on a RB... I would freak out. The position just isnt worth it. Have we learned nothing from NE rb philosophy? Use dixon, jackson, and brown. For consistency in the run game, the line is the key, not the backs. Argueing for a guy just bc of the Homerun factor has little weight in my mind.

It's hard to say this when Marshawn Lynch carried his team to a yard of a 2nd straight title. It isn't about the position it's about the player. If you have a shot at Todd Gurley you sprint to the podium. You won't have that chance but if you can get a big impact guy like that you do it.

I agree. I will throw something if they do that.

The Ravens got Forsett from the scrap heap and he made the pro bowl. Blount was grabbed from the waiver wire. I can name dozens of late drafted or undrafted RBs who had great careers.

they haven't used a top pick on a RB in 5 years. What am I missing by "ANOTHER" top pick? 50 Isnt really a top pick either but whatev.

Btw, I'm not sure you can follow the RB philosophy of the team with the Best QB of all time and expect the same results.

Edited by YoloinOhio

they haven't used a top pick on a RB in 5 years. What am I missing by "ANOTHER" top pick? 50 Isnt really a top pick either but whatev.

I bet you are right. Relative to other teams, we probably don't do this too often.

But since the last 15 years blends together, it seems like it happens every year (Antoine smith, Henry, mcgahee, spiller, lynch).

I agree. I will throw something if they do that.

The Ravens got Forsett from the scrap heap and he made the pro bowl. Blount was grabbed from the waiver wire. I can name dozens of late drafted or undrafted RBs who had great careers.

both benefit from a strong passing game

Vereen and Ridley are FAs.

if Bills go FA i vote Ingram

both benefit from a strong passing game

This is an important factor Yolo. And should not be discounted