This week's source deep within

YoloinOhio

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I challenge anyone calling Chandler a #2 tight end to list 32 better tight ends in the league right now. Guys like Ebron are debatable because all there is to go on is athleticism.

It's our habit of underselling our players and overvaluing others. I bet if Chandler were a free agent on a different team right now there'd be a thread about signing him.

Based on what metrics? Scotty was 18th in yards (ahead of many on that list, including orange Julius). 7th (!!!!!!!) in plays 20+ yards, more than Graham, Cameron etc. and tied with Olsen, Ertz etc. TD's he's at 22, again, tied with Clay, Ertz, Miller, Wilson, beating folks like Amaro, Cameron, Rudolph, Celek, Bostick.

Put me in the camp that thinks that most people watch Graham and Gronk highlights and think that the Bills are the only team without that kind of player. Scotty is right at #15ish. Sammy Watkins couldn't get 1000 yards with this offense, don't blame Scott because he doesn't put up Gronk numbers.

Based on the metric they aren't Bills.

It's our habit of underselling our players and overvaluing others. I bet if Chandler were a free agent on a different team right now there'd be a thread about signing him.

Based on the metric they aren't Bills.

Remember when chandler was a free agent and hit the market last year?

Remind me of what nfl teams thought of him? he returned with the very lucrative 21st highest average pay at the position. IE he's a bottom third starter.

And I would be saying he's a good option as a #2 at that price and that we should consider him if he was another teams free agent.

Intriguing view of what the Bills are thinking, but it's illuminating what is not listed. Based on these tweets, they don't see right tackle and guard as a priority--once again. People here dismissed that Whaley press conference when he seemed excited (good lord) about Henderson, Richardson and Kujo, but together with this information, it seems even more possible that they will go into next year still deluded about the offensive line--the third year in a row. What does it take to make it a priority? We had the worst tackle and worst of the worst guards in football--and their priority is a third WR? A third (or fourth) DL? I can't help but wonder if Whaley's ego is getting in the way: he drafted these three clowns and might care more that they're not busts than the OL being top quality--and, no, they're not the same thing. Doug "just one step away!" Whaley.

Intriguing view of what the Bills are thinking, but it's illuminating what is not listed. Based on these tweets, they don't see right tackle and guard as a priority--once again. People here dismissed that Whaley press conference when he seemed excited (good lord) about Henderson, Richardson and Kujo, but together with this information, it seems even more possible that they will go into next year still deluded about the offensive line--the third year in a row. What does it take to make it a priority? We had the worst tackle and worst of the worst guards in football--and their priority is a third WR? A third (or fourth) DL? I can't help but wonder if Whaley's ego is getting in the way: he drafted these three clowns and might care more that they're not busts than the OL being top quality--and, no, they're not the same thing. Doug "just one step away!" Whaley.

You could also weigh the source- It's very possible they just didn't give a random guy a full and detailed offseason plan.

it's fun to banter about the "leaks" so to speak but I wouldn't read too much into it. #staysalty

it's fun to banter about the "leaks" so to speak but I wouldn't read too much into it. #staysalty

You're right. I'm mostly venting. But it's also true that my restraint in previous years regarding the offensive line ("of course they'll address it") was not rewarded--or "rewarded" with Chris Williams, Kujo, Richardson and (an afterthought) Henderson. In other words, my anxiety-fueled scorn is warranted to a degree!

Why is everything always compared to rocket science?

Because brain surgery has become too easy.

Interesting they will still seek a run stopping DT. I guess it keeps those Dareus trade rumors swirling.

One has nothing to do with the other. The Bills play a rotation and need more run stoppers; they have great "attacking" guys and pass rushers but not as many "hole stuffers." Dareus ain't going anywhere.

You're right. I'm mostly venting. But it's also true that my restraint in previous years regarding the offensive line ("of course they'll address it") was not rewarded--or "rewarded" with Chris Williams, Kujo, Richardson and (an afterthought) Henderson. In other words, my anxiety-fueled scorn is warranted to a degree!

So you're saying they didn't do a good job trying to address the OL last year when they drafted two tackles and a guard? Just because two of them ended up not performing up to expectations doesn't mean they didn't try to address it. I'll accept your argument as long as you knew at draft time that Kujo and Richardson were bad picks. Otherwise, we could very well have had two new guards and a new tackle with what seemed like a bright future. But, as everybody knows, sometimes guys just don't work out.

Plus, we hear from several sources (including Rex) that they want to make the offensive line a strength and they're not done bringing people in. So you'd rather be anxious about some random, incomplete tweets from an unkown source?

So you're saying they didn't do a good job trying to address the OL last year when they drafted two tackles and a guard? Just because two of them ended up not performing up to expectations doesn't mean they didn't try to address it. I'll accept your argument as long as you knew at draft time that Kujo and Richardson were bad picks. Otherwise, we could very well have had two new guards and a new tackle with what seemed like a bright future. But, as everybody knows, sometimes guys just don't work out.

Plus, we hear from several sources (including Rex) that they want to make the offensive line a strength and they're not done bringing people in. So you'd rather be anxious about some random, incomplete tweets from an unkown source?

No, I certainly didn't know they were bad picks at the time, but what does that have to do with whether or not they were good picks? They weren't, nor was Williams a good free agent. Whaley failed, in other words. What, do you want to give him credit for trying, is that it? If the Bills are "bringing in" people of the same quality as Kujo, Richardson, et al., then they'll fail again. Not sure I follow you. Are you happy as long as they seem to be trying hard? If so, you're pretty easy to please. (But you have picked a good team to follow.)

There's nothing in here that we already didn't know.

@KevinMassare: First things first "We are expecting to get a Sunday or Monday night football game this year as well as our Thursday game"

Every team should be "expecting" this.

@KevinMassare: Source: "Coach Ryan has brought us a lot of attention. He expects Incognito to start day 1, and to keep clean in the locker room."

Really? I didn't think we would've signed him if they didn't believe this.

@KevinMassare: Source : "We are still in the process of looking for a football operations guy to help assess the Roster, has to be approved by coach".

Same thing was done with the Sabres. Expect an expansion of the FO. Actually, I'll give him this one. It did take just a little more than superficial knowledge to come up with this one.

@KevinMassare: Source: " Hard to focus on much else, Hughes has been a priority in the building. We can start actively talking next week".

No news here

@KevinMassare: Source: "a big receiving threat to help out offense will be addressed. It could come in form of WR/TE, top of our priority list".

Obviously. Anyone watching the Bills last season could've told you this.

@KevinMassare: "We are looking for another pure DL run stopper in our defensive fronts, Rex has made that clear."

Doesn't every team want another?

@KevinMassare: Source: "I can't name names, but all avenues are being exhausted for QBs this offseason, we expect strong competition this season".

I wouldn't expect anything less said from a QB-less team. Should they be expecting "weak" competition?

@KevinMassare: Source "Naturally plans could change if Revis walks, him and Gilmore would give us an unstoppable defense, not expected to sniff waters tho"

Every team would love to add Revis.

@KevinMassare: Source: "we have plans in place when it comes to futures of Dareus and Gilmore, I can tell you guys that".

Did we think they would say "Dareus and Gilmore? Nope, we have no plans here. Just making it up as we go!"

Good thing we have Massare's tweets to read.

Edited by Saint Doug

Same thing was done with the Sabres. Expect an expansion of the FO. Actually, I'll give him this one. It did take just a little more than superficial knowledge to come up with this one.

No news here

I wouldn't expect anything less said from a QB-less team. Should they be expecting "weak" competition?

Did we think they would say "Dareus and Gilmore? Nope, we have no plans here. Just making it up as we go!"

are you a lawyer? very well done..

Drafted the "clowns" (your word not mine) you speak of and was responsible for signing Urbik (off waivers) and Pears (after being cut by JAX) in 2010 shortly after being named Asst. GM and Dir. of PRO personnel.

No news here

1. every team shouldn't be expecting a Sunday or Monday night game. Especially a team that has been irrelevant for a decade. Every team

should hope to be good enough to get put on prime time more than the obligatory Thursday nighter.

2. In the game that is public relations it never hurts for the team to push forward the narrative that they understand fans/outsiders view

of Incognito, and therefore will constantly seek to provide assurance that they expect he will be a good citizen.

3. This is the one we already knew back in October, when rumors of a football czar began. This is just more verification.

4. Might not be news, but it's good to hear nonetheless. When Byrd and Levitre walked I didn't hear such definitive statements from any

sources. In fact, it seemed they were already out the door before FA started.

5. Because we see things a certain way does not mean the front office does. Many of us on the board would have kept Levitre and Byrd.

If they were to sign a Vincent Jackson and not a TE, I would be surprised by that. I think most on the board see TE is as the need of needs.

6. Every team wanting another? When your team has two pro-bowl, all-pro DT's it wouldn't be the first "need" that would jump out to me. I found it to be an interesting nugget.

7. Of course they should expect strong competition at QB, but that wasn't the relevant point in the statement. The relevant point was: "all avenues being exhausted..." to find another QB. Pair that with the last nugget he presented about "going in a direction not talked about". Reading between the lines, my take away is the Bills are looking at free agency and the draft, but really seem to want to trade for someone. (That would be something not discussed by a national media hung up on their lack of a round one pick in April.) For instance, what if Roman knows Kaepernick could be had based on his knowledge of the front office/new coaching dynamic in Frisco?

8. Yes, every team would love to add Revis, but most couldn't afford him, or have a viable connection to him. The Bills have both factors necessary to make a play. The relevant info is that the "source" didn't say we have no interest in Revis, or would be put off by his price tag. Just another verification new ownership is not like previous ownership.

9. No, I wouldn't expect them to say they have no plans for Gilmore and Dareus. At the same time I would expect that this "source" could have said nothing at all about Gilmore and Dareus which in and of itself could be telling. The thing that struck me is, as light as the information was, Gilmore and Dareus are in the plans. I never heard that about other FA's the Bills let walk away in the past several years. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them extended before the season starts. And it wouldn't shock me if Gilmore got his first.

You have to read between the lines and pair whatever information we get with other information we get from wherever else. We'll rarely get as many specifics as we want to get before the fact. And for good reason. Massare isn't the be all to end all. He is a guy who has had good info in the past. Just like we have gotten good info from sources on the board at times, or TBN reporters, or AP reporters, or Toroto Sun reporters about various issues. The more information we get, from the most sources, the better.

1. every team shouldn't be expecting a Sunday or Monday night game. Especially a team that has been irrelevant for a decade. Every team

should hope to be good enough to get put on prime time more than the obligatory Thursday nighter.

2. In the game that is public relations it never hurts for the team to push forward the narrative that they understand fans/outsiders view

of Incognito, and therefore will constantly seek to provide assurance that they expect he will be a good citizen.

3. This is the one we already knew back in October, when rumors of a football czar began. This is just more verification.

4. Might not be news, but it's good to hear nonetheless. When Byrd and Levitre walked I didn't hear such definitive statements from any

sources. In fact, it seemed they were already out the door before FA started.

5. Because we see things a certain way does not mean the front office does. Many of us on the board would have kept Levitre and Byrd.

If they were to sign a Vincent Jackson and not a TE, I would be surprised by that. I think most on the board see TE is as the need of needs.

6. Every team wanting another? When your team has two pro-bowl, all-pro DT's it wouldn't be the first "need" that would jump out to me. I found it to be an interesting nugget.

7. Of course they should expect strong competition at QB, but that wasn't the relevant point in the statement. The relevant point was: "all avenues being exhausted..." to find another QB. Pair that with the last nugget he presented about "going in a direction not talked about". Reading between the lines, my take away is the Bills are looking at free agency and the draft, but really seem to want to trade for someone. (That would be something not discussed by a national media hung up on their lack of a round one pick in April.) For instance, what if Roman knows Kaepernick could be had based on his knowledge of the front office/new coaching dynamic in Frisco?

8. Yes, every team would love to add Revis, but most couldn't afford him, or have a viable connection to him. The Bills have both factors necessary to make a play. The relevant info is that the "source" didn't say we have no interest in Revis, or would be put off by his price tag. Just another verification new ownership is not like previous ownership.

9. No, I wouldn't expect them to say they have no plans for Gilmore and Dareus. At the same time I would expect that this "source" could have said nothing at all about Gilmore and Dareus which in and of itself could be telling. The thing that struck me is, as light as the information was, Gilmore and Dareus are in the plans. I never heard that about other FA's the Bills let walk away in the past several years. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them extended before the season starts. And it wouldn't shock me if Gilmore got his first.

You have to read between the lines and pair whatever information we get with other information we get from wherever else. We'll rarely get as many specifics as we want to get before the fact. And for good reason. Massare isn't the be all to end all. He is a guy who has had good info in the past. Just like we have gotten good info from sources on the board at times, or TBN reporters, or AP reporters, or Toroto Sun reporters about various issues. The more information we get, from the most sources, the better.

The info is wishy washy. Not really definitive. "Revis is possible and maybe what we'll do but maybe not." I can "expect" to bring home a model, but it doesn't normally happen.

We had similar comments for Jerry and Byrd by the way. None of this is groundbreaking stuff. Just "all the right," things.

Edited by FireChan