Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

I'm OK with McCown. We needed a veteran backup who could mentor Manuel, and he's good as any for that role. I'd add another rookie in the draft so that if EJ shats the bed we have another kid on the roster with potential to develop into a viable starting QB.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering QB, on most offensive plays, should be the fifth or sixth most important guy on the field for the Bills next year, who cares?

@MaryKayCabot: #Browns are still believed to be in the mix for QB Josh McCown even though .@viccarucci reporting #Bills are in contract talks w/ him.

C'mon Browns! Pony up!

I've never seen a beat reporter follow more false leads than Mary Kay Cabot. It's borderline embarrassing. And yet she gets a lot of love from writers leaguewide. Wonder why.

Not sure what the rush is to sign the guy. I rather take a chance on Matt Moore a guy who has played decently in limited opportunities.

Where do you see the Bills rushing? There is no one out there that is any good. Moore hasn't played in years. Why do you think he's any better?

So you want to bet that a 36 year old with a 17-32 record and a 76.1 qb rating beats out a 25 year old with a 6-8 record and a 78.5 rating? Why would anyone hope for that?

I guess you have to dig your heels in since you have stated that EJ sucks after 14 games with a crappy coaching staff that are now Jags' assistant coaches. But it would be awful if McNown was our starter. So awful. He has been good for a half of a season in his entire career.

EJ just better win this job or this is going to be another pointless year.

Cool 5 starts. where are the other highlights from his other 11.5 years in the NFL?

Look guys, I have stated it IN THIS THREAD: I would love for EJ Manuel to look great and win the job. I just don't see it happening. Do you really think if EJ Manuel emerges as the starter and is great that I would be disappointed? I would love for you two to start a big fat "I told you so" thread.

WTF are the Browns thinking? They would sign McCown over Hoyer? And why, exactly? Just another textbook example of why that organization is garbage.

What are peoples infatuation with Hoyer? He hasn't done anything in his 6 years in the league either, granted he was a backup for most of them.

With Josh Gordon back he went the following for the last 4 games with the playoffs on the line

Won Falcons 322 yds 0 tds 3 ints

Loss Bills 192 yds 0 tds 2 ints

Loss Colts 136 yds 0 tds 2 ints

Didn't play against Bengals

Loss Panthers 134 yds 1 td 1 int (Partial game)

Edited by What a Tuel

What are peoples infatuation with Hoyer? He hasn't done anything in his 6 years in the league either, granted he was a backup for most of them.

With Josh Gordon back he went the following for the last 4 games with the playoffs on the line

he led a team to a few wins against the leagues worst teams WRT a W/L record.

I'd be disappointed if the Bills didn't evaluate him and bring him in for a visit. The free agent market doesn't look great. The draft is not going to yield much where they are drafting and the Bills get a chance to have an experienced back-up with some starting work in early...his stats are crappy -- but he hasn't exactly played on stellar squads. For 5 games in 2013 he made the Bears look better than they looked with Cutler.

McCown career - 17-32 as a starter including 1-10 in 2014........

McCown after 2013 from Pro Football Focus.

Positives

• Graded at +6.5 on passes in 11-20-yard range.

• Showed well on 2nd-and-Long (+3.9) and 3rd-and-Long (+4.4).

• Threw well to the middle (+9.9) and right (+6.4).

• Posted league’s highest grade when pressured: +8.9.

• Graded well against the blitz (+9.0) and against a traditional rush (+8.5).

• Was at his best on 7-to-8-yard drop-backs (+15.7).

• Excelled in the 2.6-to 3.0-second range (+12.5).

• Graded at +18.1 when throwing to wide receivers (by alignment) including +9.5 to the slot and +8.6 to outside wide receivers.

• Best routes were hitches (+5.9) and go routes (+7.0).

Negatives

• Graded at -1.4 on designed rollouts.

• Posted an average +0.1 grade on passes in the 31-to-40-yard range.

• Graded at -0.9 on 4-to-6-yard drop-backs.

• Graded at -0.6 on slants and -0.9 on post routes.

Tendencies

• Faced the blitz only 27.6% of the time, eighth-lowest in the league.

• Above the league average with 21.4% of drop-backs coming in the 4-to-6-yard range.

• 17.3% of drop-backs lasted 3.1-3.5 seconds, highest percentage in the league.

• Threw only 40.1% of passes outside the numbers, sixth-lowest in the league.

• Threw 78.3% of passes to wide receivers (by alignment), fourth-highest in the league.

• Threw only 14.5% of passes to tight ends, tied for the lowest percentage in the league.

• 11.6% of targets were slants, second-highest in the league.

Good detailed stuff there.. I've watched his first 2 2014 games ( NO and GB) on NFL rewind and here are a few things I noticed

• It may be wise to take a grain of salt when evaluating his 2014 performance ..if theTB line performed as poorly the rest of the year as they did in the first 2 games it's no wonder he got hurt ( I thought the Bills' O Line was bad at handling stunts.. but TB o line blows them away in stunt pickup ineptitude).
  • ARM - middling... throws with body..
  • MOBILITY - solid shuffling around in the pocket to avoid pressure coming from up the gut and he generally keeps his head up looking downfield when pressured. There are a few good examples of him either shuffling to avoid a strong rush and hitting his guy or taking a big hit and delivering a throw. On the other hand.. his mechanics get all goofy when he rolls out of the pocket. He is definitely more mobile than Orton and will be able to run adequately if pocket breaks down... not anywhere close to as mobile as EJ though
  • FOOTWORK - he is very solid executing 3 step drops and the quick game. His footwork does get messy when he goes to 5 or 7 step drop. He has a habit of lifting his back foot up when throwing .. even when there is no real pressure. This tends to make those throws sail a bit. I did see some good examples from 2013 Bears games where he plants his back foot and drives.. so he's capable of doing it .. but at age 35 I'm not sure if he can overcome bad habits
  • TRUSTING RECEIVERS- He's not afraid to throw it up into tight coverage and let his receivers fight for the ball. Several good examples of him throwing it up high into double coverage along the sidelines to Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson.. allowing them to fight for and make great catches.
  • DEEP BALL - I saw him throw several deep balls and they were all thrown with poor timing and accuracy.. not his strong suit
  • PRESENCE - shows good command of huddle on field presence .. takes tough hits and gets right back up
  • PLAY ACTION - not very good at selling play fake.. defenses rarely bit on his play action

SUMMARY - More grit than talent/natural ability. Better attitude/presence/mobility than Orton. Weaker arm than Orton.. Orton threw better deep ball. Capable of moving the chains and executing the quick game. Will occasionally make big plays by having the guts to throw it up and let big receivers go get it or by having the guts to take a hit and deliver. Lack of good deep ball and frequent slips in his footwork/mechanics will offset his good characteristics and prevent him from being anything more than a game manager who occasionally makes gritty plays.

Edited by Bocephuz

Didn't play against Bengals

Infatuation? Hardly. Hoyer still has a lot of question marks. However, McCown is no better... maybe worse, and older. Why would you sign McCown over your incumbent starter who still has potential upside?

he led a team to a few wins against the leagues worst teams WRT a W/L record.

And at the same time lost to the arguable worst team in the league - the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Although now that they have Marrone on coaching their O-line, and Hackett coaching their QB's, the sky's the limit!

Infatuation? Hardly. Hoyer still has a lot of question marks. However, McCown is no better... maybe worse, and older. Why would you sign McCown over your incumbent starter who still has potential upside?

I guess I see it if you put it that way, but the way you phrased it earlier seemed as though Hoyer blows McCown out of the water, and I don't think thats the case. I would agree about Hoyer still having potential upside compared to McCown who has none..

he beat Pitt and Cincy, but those were the only 2 impressive ones

same division same soft schedule and conference teams. the AFCN usually splits yearly.

And at the same time lost to the arguable worst team in the league - the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Although now that they have Marrone on coaching their O-line, and Hackett coaching their QB's, the sky's the limit!

and the Bills lost to the Raiders :blush: :blush: