Why would a team dump a QB without a replacement in place?

There have been persistent rumors on this board that Sam Bradford, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, RGIII and Colin Kaepernick (am I missing anyone?) may be available this offseason for various reasons. I don't see it. Why would any team give up a viable veteran (although not perfect) QB without an obvious replacement in the wings? I can kind of see Bradford because of the cap hit but even there why would St. Louis do that without an obvious candidate to take his place? This is a serious question.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. Here are my guess-answers:

Bradford didn't play last year and St. Louis may view him as unnecessary and someone who could net draft picks (and/or provide cap relief).

RGIII is on the outs in DC, they clearly prefer Cousins and/or brining back McCoy.

As to the Giants, perhaps they would trade Eli for a bevy of picks as they are a ways away from contending.

Cutler--the Bears stink with him, they figure they can stink w/o his attitude.

No clue on Kaepernick, unless they think they can draft a replacement.

There have been persistent rumors on this board that Sam Bradford, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, RGIII and Colin Kaepernick (am I missing anyone?) may be available this offseason for various reasons. I don't see it. Why would any team give up a viable veteran (although not perfect) QB without an obvious replacement in the wings? I can kind of see Bradford because of the cap hit but even there why would St. Louis do that without an obvious candidate to take his place? This is a serious question.

Missing. I'd say yes.

off the top of my head ....

Tampa, Cleveland, 49ers, Eagles, NYETS, Cardinals, Jacksonville, Titans, Raiders? Resdkins, Chicago, Texans, and maybe Saints?

or did you mean Buffalo?

oh hell ..Why not add the Bungles too

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Is Houston of thinking about moving on from Ryan Fitzpatrick now? ;)

I doubt Fisher and Snead would move on from Bradford unless they knew Austin Davis or Shaun Hill could get them into the playoffs next season.

Washington is stuck with 2 QB's, meaning they've got none.

Cutler isn't going anywhere with that contract Phil Emery gave him a year ago. Nor is Eli from the Giants.

I think it's surface fans hoping and wishing that a QB falls into Buffalo's lap. It just doesn't happen like this.

It kind of goes to the Tannehill thread. If Chicago (for example) doesn't think anymore that they can win a Super Bowl (that's all that matters) with Cutler under center are they better off keeping him as the 1 of the highest priced players in football? When it's time to hit the reset button you better hit it (like Indy did) or forever remain in the middle. It happens all of the time in sports (the Sabres are going it now). You are better off at the bottom than in the middle.

i think most of it is the fanboy inside the local news guys. I really don't see any of those getting moved.

Is this a trick question? You mean like the Buffalo Bills.....

Good question. Here are my guess-answers:

Bradford didn't play last year and St. Louis may view him as unnecessary and someone who could net draft picks (and/or provide cap relief).

RGIII is on the outs in DC, they clearly prefer Cousins and/or brining back McCoy.

As to the Giants, perhaps they would trade Eli for a bevy of picks as they are a ways away from contending.

Cutler--the Bears stink with him, they figure they can stink w/o his attitude.

No clue on Kaepernick, unless they think they can draft a replacement.

I really hope that DC truly does not want RG III.......that is the risk qb I would like to take the most....after that Bradford

I think they are almost all unlikely to become free but that shouldnt stop the discussion, crazier things have happened. I can at least convince myself that scenarios exist where these guys become available under some circumstances but theyre not plausible.

Basically Bradford has not worked out for them and they owe him a lot. if they think they can get picks for him and move up in the draft it may be worth it. They were competitive without him (kinda) and I think its possible the organization and fan base has soured on him based on what they gave him financially and what theyve received in return. IF we make an offer they may consider it.

Manning would be (a lot) tougher but hes in the last deal of his contract and then would require an extension. Prior to this year his numbers were trending down and the thought is that they might not want to extend him after this contract for big money which means he would become a FA. If they trade him this year, when they are likely not contending they can get something back for him instead of just letting him go to FA. If we make them a strong offer do they at leasst consider it because of this?

Cutler has completely worn out his welcome in Chi and they owe him a ton. I think the new regime just cuts their losses and moves on. They are certainly not going to be competitive with him and not much will change without him. If they can find someone willing to take him off their hands why wouldnt they?

RG3 the new coach, who is there next year, hates him and has publicly criticized him. While the Owner loves him, if trade offers come their way Jay might be able to convince them to let him go because I believe jay would certainly take picks over keeping him on his team.

CK, no idea except with Harbaugh leaving and a non-productive year I thought there may be a chance they dont like him and want to start over. With them promoting from ithhin for HC I dont see this happening.

Edited by jletha

Eli is a free agent I believe

Bradford has a high cap number and obvious injury concerns

Cutler is Cutler

RG3 has been benched the last two years

Kaepernick didnt make the leap some expected him to and there isnt anything SF can do at this point that would surprise me

Eli is a free agent I believe

Bradford has a high cap number and obvious injury concerns

Cutler is Cutler

RG3 has been benched the last two years

Kaepernick didnt make the leap some expected him to and there isnt anything SF can do at this point that would surprise me

To say that RG III has been benched the last 2 years is not accurate.....he also has had injuries mixed in there.

Look all these guys have warts.......you gotta look for one of them with enough talent to take a chance and pull the trigger.

It is completely unrelated....but the fact that the bills are willing to take chances on the cog also leads me to believe they will take chances on the QB side as well

One of the things that made me respect Chan Gailey, perhaps more than any of the Bills other HC's in the last 15 years, was the way he handled Trent Edwards. After naming him his starter at the onset of training camp, he simply released him after 2 games and 2 awful starts.

When asked why, Gailey said essentially, "I have seen enough, and I don't ever want to be tempted to go down that road again. I don't know if what we have is any better (Fitz), but I know what Edwards brought us wasn't good enough".

Edited by Buftex