Rex Ryan from a Jets fan POV

regarding the jets QB situation, it was widely reported that Rex wanted to bench Geno much sooner and Idzik/woody said no. He also had a terrible backup in Vick so the alternative wasn't much better. But was that not true? Was it his decision to stick with Geno until whenever it was he got benched - like 4 weeks after EJ?

Jets fan with a screen name "moment of truth" and you think he is going to be able to give you real information?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new here, and I'm a Jets fan. I wanted to join this board because I interact with a lot of fans from other AFC East teams on Jetsnation.com and now that Rex is in Buffalo I thought it would be interesting to see how his 2nd shot at running the show goes.

So here's my take on Rex,

Welcome to the board,.

You hit on my fears about Rex...

"player's coach" Nothing wrong with this if you also hold the players accountable. In your eyes (& mine long distance) Rex didn't do that. I've said that it appeared that the inmates were running the asylum with Rex at the helm.

"game management" Too many "unforced" errors week in, week out. Too many head scratcher decisions regarding clock management and play calling.

My hope is that we get Good Rex and that he has learned from his mistakes. Like you, I'm all in on "my" team and hope that they finally have it right.

Seems like a pretty fair and reasonable analysis. As others have said, hopefully Rex has learned from his experiences both positive and negative.

Every coach has his favorites, by the way -- that's hardly something unique to Ryan.

regarding the jets QB situation, it was widely reported that Rex wanted to bench Geno much sooner and Idzik/woody said no. He also had a terrible backup in Vick so the alternative wasn't much better. But was that not true? Was it his decision to stick with Geno until whenever it was he got benched - like 4 weeks after EJ?

In the end it made sense to probably play Geno as much as possible considering they were going nowhere last season. The acquisition of Harvin mid season instead of getting at least one starting caliber corner made no sense to me either.

And the Jets let go of their two best corners in Cromartie and Revis. They didn't have patience to wait for Revis knee (over 1 year normally) to heal. Bad GM decision making. Rex wanted him back... but shorted sighted Isik screwed the pooch on that one.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed, well-supported post. It's hard to be optimistic about the Bills' chances after reading it, in part because the weaknesses you describe---cronyism, no adjustments at halftime, stubbornly sticking with players despite poor play--are all too familiar to Bills fans, as are the boasts of a new HC inheriting a top-five defense vowing to make it still better. I have higher hopes for Roman (the new OC), but from what you say the offensive position coaches may undermine him. Let's just hope Whaley and the Pelugas did their due diligence and didn't hire Rex because of his personality. I remember the Bills GM at the time (forgot who) saying he hired Gregg Williams because he was blown away by his multi-colored notebook. So many pretty, pretty tabs!

That was Tom Donahoe, whocouldn't get along with Cowher so they let him go in Pittsburgh. He royally screwed up this organization.

And the Jets let go of their two best corners in Cromartie and Revis. They didn't have patience to wait for Revis knee (over 1 year normally) to heal. Bad GM decision making. Rex wanted him back... but shorted sighted Isik screwed the pooch on that one.

Idzik was one of the worst GMs I have ever seen. Seriously. And I'm a Bills fan.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In the end it made sense to probably play Geno as much as possible considering they were going nowhere last season. The acquisition of Harvin mid season instead of getting at least one starting caliber corner made no sense to me either.

Yolo, your hitting on what a lot of my friends who are Jets fans have stated that yes, he made mistakes, but he also brought them to the AFC Championship in his first two years with Sanchez, and the GM was the biggest reason for the decline not giving Rex the talent he needed for success.

I don't know. Whaley is in my opinion a very good young GM who will keep finding us solid talent. Now if the rumors are true, and Kelly in Philly does the magic deal with Tampa for Mariotta (RG3 - 1st's and 2 2nd's), and then needs draft picks so we gve up next year's 3rd, we get Foles, and use free agency for our offensive needs.

Then I see Rex for the first time have a decent QB, and I'm confident Rex will belicheck fits.

So, does he re-sign Jim Leonhard? After we dumped him, Rex had him with the Ravens, then brought him over to the Jets, and his #1 son brought him back to The Bills, and then again took him to that Brown place in Ohio.

pettine and Rex are far from besties. But no, jimmy is retiring.

Yeah I'd hate to see the Bills win four playoff games.

lol, exactly. No one is saying Rex is perfect but he and Roman had more success individually than Marrone, Schwartz and Hackett combined. It's not like we are going from bellicheat to Rex. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm new here, and I'm a Jets fan. I wanted to join this board because I interact with a lot of fans from other AFC East teams on Jetsnation.com and now that Rex is in Buffalo I thought it would be interesting to see how his 2nd shot at running the show goes.

So here's my take on Rex, after 6 years of watching.....I attended my first Rex Ryan practice in August of 09'. I was truly stunned at the pace and overall atmosphere. It was so casual. Rex walked around socializing with players and coaches, the drills that were being run were sloppy with zero intensity.... I was not panicked, but it seemed like something was missing.

I liked that Rex decided to trust his gut and start Sanchez as a rookie. He was asked about the rocky road that may lie ahead by having a rookie starter and Rex gave the best answer I ever heard. He said "with Mark we aren't waiting on a mistake, we are waiting on a play". That quote is Rex Ryan. I was impressed with that approach and it really shows the good Rex brings to the table. He got a lot out of Mark those first two years because he has an optimistic outlook that really motivates everyone around him. I would say he's special in that way.

So that's the positive about Rex. He believes, he motivates, and it's not an act. Trust me, this guy is the real deal, what you see is what you get.

Now on to the bad Rex. The reason I feel he failed with my Jets is because of one main thing... he is a good department manager.... or in the NFL a coordinator. He does not have the qualities one would want to see in a CEO. A CEO, a high level executive who leads a billion dollar business, has no room in their life for loyalty. A CEO has to be cold, calculated, and always focused on the bottom line.

Rex does not favor competition, because of his loyalty. Over and over I would see him crown a guy a starter (at any position) and then just let the guy struggle... not just for weeks or months but for multiple seasons. My top 3 examples are Sanchez ( I won't say much about him, he was a disaster from early 2011 to the end of 2012, it's well documented)

What I saw with Rex as our coach (even in 2009 & 2010 when we had success) was a few definitive characteristics.

Inexplicable presnap penalties and general confusion. The 12 men on the field thing happened at least 80% of the games Rex coached over his 6 years.

We saw the defense give up huge plays at key moments routinely, even when they would dominate 80% of the snaps. Giving up long drives before half time was common.

Offensively, turn overs... That's it, turn overs and horrible red zone effeciency. Remember we had 3 different OC's, 2 different highly drafted QB's and 2 different GM's. And the offense always seemed to have the same issues.

Obviously as a a Jets fan I don't want to see the Bills or any other AFC team have success. But I honestly don't wish your team negativity with Rex. I hope he does hit the reset button and learn from the past. But keep in mind some of my observations after 6 years with him. If you see this same stuff happening it may be a red flag. So far I like the energy he's brought to Buffalo but I am pretty shocked with some of the offensive coaches he has brought with him from my Jets. Guys who have terrible track records. It feels like vintage Rex, but let's see the results before judging his decisions.

Great post, thanks for sharing your observations.

I was not a fan of David Lee as QB coach here. He came in to "fix" Ryan Fitzpatrick. That certainly didn't happen....whether he tried too much to mess with his mechanics too close to the season and induced the "paralysis of analysis" or whether he gave the message to our WR "don't reach for the ball, it's the QB's job to put it right there" or all of the above, I don't know but Fitz regressed. That's my major concern with Rex is the assistants. I thought it was telling that Lee lauded Fitz as the hardest-working QB he'd worked with, who could tell him what the D was going to be on Friday. Not that Fitz wasn't hard working, but champions take it to another level. I bet Tom Brady can tell on Tuesday, if not Monday. Anyway we were glad to see his tail lights heading for the Jets.

And yeah, I didn't know about Bart Scott or Smith but it was clear that Rex stuck with Sanchez far too long. The tattoo was ridiculous.

I was not a fan of Pettine's D and was not happy to see Schwartz go either. That is a guy who deserves a job as DC.

Rex is here, it's a done deal. We shall see what we shall see.

One thing that confuses me a bit is the CEO thing. Exactly what was the power structure on the Jets? On the Bills, at least, it should not be Rex's power to put a dollar value on a guy. But certainly benching some guys whilst inexplicably playing others was a factor here with Marrone.

At least you guys dodged a bullet on that one.

Edited by Hopeful

I think the OP tries hard, but I'm of a different belief. I think Rex has already changed from his early days. In his initial press conference for the Bills he was vastly more controlled than when he started with the Jets. No stuff like I'm not here to kiss Belichick's rings. Paradoxically or not, his teams performed better early on in his stay with the Jets. My feeling on that is he had better GM and players earlier.