Rex Ryan from a Jets fan POV

Nucci, I'm not the one you're responding to, but I'll put it out there...I was not thrilled with Rex as the team's new head coach, and the more assistants follow him from the Jets, the more uncomfortable I get. All that needs doing is to install Sanchize as our next great hope at QB and I'll be shuddering under the blankets.

I respect this guy's post because it echos what we all saw watching the Jets over the years. They played with passion, but were sloppy at times - penalties, dumb mistakes including mistakes from the HC (timeouts, game management). And that guy is right on about the Jets D, it's a high risk gambling D that will stuff the opponent but then let the big play rip, especially on the ground.

So no, not pessimistic, but cautious here....I want to see proof that Rex has learned from his mistakes and will do some things differently. And no, not because the guy is a Jets fan but because it aligns with my Mark IV Eyeballs both the good and the bad.

Jets ranking in YPA rushing:

2014: 6th

2013: 1st

2012: 4-way tie for 19th

2011: 3-way tie for 6th

2010: 2-way tie for 3rd

2009: 4th

I'm not buying this "gives up big plays on the ground" stuff. Everyone gives up big plays. But when you do, your average goes up. The Jets defensive YPA was consistently excellent during the Ryan era. They had that one bad year in 2012, but except for that they were really good.

One thing you find during the Ryan years is that except for the first two years, this defense was given the ball in bad positions. Their average defensive drive start in 2011 - 2014 was bad, they ranked a lot worse in where they started than in their points per drive and yards per drive allowed.

Year ---- Drive Start Ranking ---- Points Per Drive Ranking

2014: 25th --- 24th

2013: 26th --- 17th

2012: 23rd --- 13th

2011: 21st --- 6th

2010: 5th --- 5th

2009: 10th --- 1st

2014 doesn't look good. They couldn't blame their relatively high points allowed there on bad field position from the offense and special teams. The defense didn't outperform the offense and special teams in those areas last year. The other years they pretty consistently either did, or in 2010 they got excellent field position and used that to do well in giving up points.

I'm not a complete Ryan supporter. He has to improve. But IMHO people are often thinking of Pettine's defense when they talk about big plays in run defense, and Pettine was handicapped by not having the personnel to stop the run. He didn't have Spikes or Preston Brown as downhill run stoppers.

If QB coaches could really make QBs better, and consistently better, they would be as important and as popular and as well paid as HC, and there are an upwards of none that are generally regarded as great.

To the OP, good post but you kinda lost me at "savvy veteran" and 80% of games in six years had 12 men on field penalties (and on offense or ST that wouldnt be Rex's fault.

Not true.

QB coaches do consistently make QBs better.

But they can't consistently (or at all, really) change guys like Jake Locker to guys like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. And yeah if they could they'd be paid as much as HCs. But they can't.

What they can do, though, inconsistently, is get guys near or at their ceiling. If the QB is willing to buy in and work like a sled dog on the Iditarod, only pretty much year round. Even then some guys have habits so ingrained they're unchangeable. But others don't.

Aaron Rodgers needed an awful lot of work to become Aaron Rodgers. He got the time and the excellent coaching that allowed him to do just that.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets ranking in YPA rushing:

2014: 6th

2013: 1st

2012: 4-way tie for 19th

2011: 3-way tie for 6th

2010: 2-way tie for 3rd

2009: 4th

I'm not buying this "gives up big plays on the ground" stuff. Everyone gives up big plays. But when you do, your average goes up. The Jets defensive YPA was consistently excellent during the Ryan era. They had that one bad year in 2012, but except for that they were really good.

One thing you find during the Ryan years is that except for the first two years, this defense was given the ball in bad positions. Their average defensive drive start in 2011 - 2014 was bad, they ranked a lot worse in where they started than in their points per drive and yards per drive allowed.

Year ---- Drive Start Ranking ---- Points Per Drive Ranking

2014: 25th --- 24th

2013: 26th --- 17th

2012: 23rd --- 13th

2011: 21st --- 6th

2010: 5th --- 5th

2009: 10th --- 1st

2014 doesn't look good. They couldn't blame their relatively high points allowed there on bad field position from the offense and special teams. The defense didn't outperform the offense and special teams in those areas last year. The other years they pretty consistently either did, or in 2010 they got excellent field position and used that to do well in giving up points.

I'm not a complete Ryan supporter. He has to improve. But IMHO people are often thinking of Pettine's defense when they talk about big plays in run defense, and Pettine was handicapped by not having the personnel to stop the run. He didn't have Spikes or Preston Brown as downhill run stoppers.

Not true.

QB coaches do consistently make QBs better.

But they can't consistently (or at all, really) change guys like Jake Locker to guys like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. And yeah if they could they'd be paid as much as HCs. But they can't.

What they can do, though, inconsistently, is get guys near or at their ceiling. If the QB is willing to buy in and work like a sled dog on the Iditarod, only pretty much year round. Even then some guys have habits so ingrained they're unchangeable. But others don't.

Aaron Rodgers needed an awful lot of work to become Aaron Rodgers. He got the time and the excellent coaching that allowed him to do just that.

Thanks for supplying this information. I was looking for a condensed version but could not find it.....

It matches what my eyes were seeing.