POLL: NE Cheating - What should be done?

dtgolder

What should the NFL do to NE for cheating?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD the NFL do to penalize NE for deflating footballs?

• Nothing
    • Monetary Fine
    • Forfeit of a Draft Choice (or Choices)
    • Both a Fine and Draft Choice(s)
    • Forfeit of the game to Indy (Indy plays in Super Bowl)
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you THINK the NFL will do?

• Nothing
    • Monetary Fine
    • Forfeit of a Draft Choice (or Choices)
    • Both a Fine and Draft Choice(s)
    • Forfeit of the game to Indy (Indy plays in Super Bowl)
    • Other

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should: Belichick should be suspended immediately, and the suspension should persist through the end of next season. The Patriots* should be banned from participation in the post season for the next two years. All players should be granted UFA should they choose, immediately following the Super Bowl. The Patriots* should forfeit their first and second round picks in the 2015 draft with the first rounder going to Indy and the second rounder awarded to Baltimore. Finally, the organization should have their salary cap reduced by 15% for the next 4 seasons.

Will happen: loss of a 2016 draft pick and a fine of no more than $500k.

Agreed. On the suspension part: the coach is the captain of the ship. He is responsible for whatever his players or assistants did. I see no claim here that the balls weren't deflated, no weird claims about temperature and pressure, or about how balls naturally lose air as they're thrown/caught/bounce, or anything like that. Rather, just shaking of their heads about having no idea of how this happened, basically conceding that it did happen. The implication is that it was done deliberately, and the upshot is that it must have been done by someone on the Patriots team or staff, or by someone with access to the Patriots balls. I think a suspension of Belichick is an appropriate remedy, and that since their presence in the Super Bowl is tainted by this happening in the AFC Championship Game, it is not much of a stretch to say the suspension should begin immediately. I'd say something on the order of 4 games, beginning now, plus a fine, plus (maybe) a draft pick. I don't want to hear about how the Indy game was a blowout and the balls didn't matter. That's true. But it's irrelevant. Cheating penalties have never carried with them some kind of "harmless error" concept where we try to ascertain whether the result likely would have been different if the cheating hadn't occurred. It's not just about this event; it's about deterring future events, either by the Patriots or some other team or teams. NFL, your damn Super Bowl will still be played. Belichick and his methods (a combination of brilliance and low-grade cheating) still got the Patriots there. We just shouldn't have to see Belichick doused with Gatorade if they win. That would be honoring someone who presided over an effort to gain an advantage by clearly violating the rules. Or doesn't that matter to the NFL anymore?

Monetary fine. They should suspend Brady equal to a PED suspension. Belicheck should have balls removed

Ignorance is not an excuse

OUCH!

(But I like it.)

Monetary fine. They should suspend Brady equal to a PED suspension. Belicheck should have balls removed

Ignorance is not an excuse

OUCH!

(But I like it.)

For the next four years:

All offensive linemen playing against the Patriots have a "get out of holding penalty free" card.

Defensive backs are allowed to mug the Patriots receivers at any point in the play, at any spot on the field.

The Brady has to pay a $10k fine. Per completed pass. For the next four years.

And any and all hits on The Brady are legal.

That's a good start. Are you finished already?

Marcellus Wiley made this point on local Los Angeles radio today:

-If the penalty for cheating to win the superbowl is only 750K and a 1st round pick, dont you think everybody would do it?

(of course that was the Spygate penalty. And with coach contracts a secret, Kraft probably gave BB the $$ back in the next deal. And the draft pick is #32 anyway. Sure didnt stop BB from cheating more.)

And especially for a repeat cheater, the penalty needs to be something to make it not worth it next time.

--

btw, Wiley is great on talk radio. The show, "Max and Marcellus" is really well done. Marcellus is both from Compton, and also went to Columbia. He's not bad at all.

Edited by maddenboy

Marcellus Wiley made this point on local Los Angeles radio today:

-If the penalty for cheating to win the superbowl is only 750K and a 1st round pick, dont you think everybody would do it?

(of course that was the Spygate penalty. And with coach contracts a secret, Kraft probably gave BB the $$ back in the next deal. And the draft pick is #32 anyway. Sure didnt stop BB from cheating more.)

And especially for a repeat cheater, the penalty needs to be something to make it not worth it next time.

--

btw, Wiley is great on talk radio. The show, "Max and Marcellus" is really well done. Marcellus is both from Compton, and also went to Columbia. He's not bad at all.

Schopp has made this point too. If the punishment is so weak that the team doesn't regret cheating, then the punishment is a joke. They should lose 1st and 2nd round picks for three years and suspend Brady's lying face for a year.

I think Tom Brady should be suspended for at least the Super Bowl. Similar to what would happen to a pitcher caught scuffing balls.

Well, true if they can pin it on Brady. But he's in total denial mode, so someone would have to implicate him, and that won't happen. But Belichick -- he's the man in charge, if he doesn't want to blame Brady, he needs to take the hit. By the way, from the press conferences I'd have to say Brady looks guilty as hell. Belichick, not so much.

Well, true if they can pin it on Brady. But he's in total denial mode, so someone would have to implicate him, and that won't happen. But Belichick -- he's the man in charge, if he doesn't want to blame Brady, he needs to take the hit. By the way, from the press conferences I'd have to say Brady looks guilty as hell. Belichick, not so much.

Totally agree with that. I guess I meant what I think is appropriate for the crime. But I agree, that won't happen. I don't think anything will happen. Maybe a draft pick and fine which is nothing.

Agreed--Brady is guilty. When asked: "Are you a cheater?" He responded: "I don't believe so..."

Think about it--if you were accused of cheating, and you were innocent, wouldn't you be a bit more...um...emphatic? Like "(Bleep) NO!! I'm not a cheater--never have been, and never will!! And if you ask me again I'll...(insert appropriate threatening response)"

You get the idea...but you woukdn't answer "I don't believe so..."

A fine means nothing. The only penalty that they would care about is something that put them at a competitive disadvantage in the future. Multiple, high round draft picks should be taken from them and don't allow their salary cap to rise when it increases for the rest of the league.

May their legacy be forever tarnished.