POLL: NE Cheating - What should be done?

dtgolder

What should the NFL do to NE for cheating?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD the NFL do to penalize NE for deflating footballs?

• Nothing
    • Monetary Fine
    • Forfeit of a Draft Choice (or Choices)
    • Both a Fine and Draft Choice(s)
    • Forfeit of the game to Indy (Indy plays in Super Bowl)
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you THINK the NFL will do?

• Nothing
    • Monetary Fine
    • Forfeit of a Draft Choice (or Choices)
    • Both a Fine and Draft Choice(s)
    • Forfeit of the game to Indy (Indy plays in Super Bowl)
    • Other

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd start by putting Indianapolis in the Superbowl. I'd follow by stripping the top two picks away. Then I would strip Robert Kraft of ouwnership- because accountability stops with him. I'd open the franchose to bidding, which could include complete relocation.

To me this is like driving 65 in a 55. Not really 'breaking the law' in a significant way, and pretty much everybody does and the authorities don't really mind to a point.

If the NFL was really concerned that something like this would unfairly alter the course of the game, they would not let each team choose the game balls and be in control of them throughout the game.

If all the balls are supposed to be uniform, the league should be in control of each game ball from start to finish and the teams should never touch them except during the game. This doesn't happen, because the league wants the QB's to be comfortable using the game balls because it makes for a better product and I have no problem with that logic.

The underinflated ball issue is similar to the pine tar incident in MLB. The punishment should be similar. No fine, no suspension. The points scored with non regulation equipment should be taken away. Meaning the final score of the 2015 AFC conference Championship should show as
NE 0

IN 7

In the pine tar game the umpires ruling was reversed and the home run was restored. The game was continued from that point on at a later date and the Royals won the game. So by your logic, the Patriots get all of their points restored and win the game.

I'd start by putting Indianapolis in the Superbowl. I'd follow by stripping the top two picks away. Then I would strip Robert Kraft of ouwnership- because accountability stops with him. I'd open the franchose to bidding, which could include complete relocation.

You forgot that they must break up the cheating franchise, therefore hold a supplemental draft where all current Patriot players can be selected by the other 31 teams; with the Bills having the first pick and Miami the 31st. Reconstitute the Patriots via free agency.

p.s. the more I think about this, the more I think there will be no punishment all, aside maybe from a token fine.

Edited by KD in CT

And the more time ticks away, it seems very clear nothing will be done before the Super Bowl. This will be part of the hype, game will be played, Pats will lose (so people can say it didn't matter) and there will be a hand slap in June or July when no one is thinking much about the NFL.

Quietly sweep it under the table...move on...nothing to see here.

If they take a draft pick away, it won't matter. They pick in the bottom and will always be able to recoup by trading someone (at a position that the player excels at in their system but will be JAG anywhere else) to get the draft pick back.

As someone said, if you could give up a #1 draft choice, but be able to cheat and win the Super Bowl, wouldn't that be a good trade?

The only way to stop this kind of thing is to adjust the cost/benefit ratio so the benefit is no longer worth the cost.

Unfortunately, the NFL will be unwilling to take any such drastic measures...it'll be a slap on the wrist, the cheating will continue...maybe the Pats will "be good" for a year (or two) but then we will have another incident...and...well, as the saying goes "rinse & repeat"