New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

How else would you do it. I suppose you could take balls out at different times in the game but that would probably arose suspicion. The best way it seems is to weight them all before the game, let the half play out, then start to take them out of the game. They also took one out at the beginning of the second half. That was the first one minute delay.

I think if they have questions, when the first one comes out of the game i have someone there check the pressure. Seems easy peezy to me. Least seems a lot better than letting them play with balls out of regulation

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How else would you do it. I suppose you could take balls out at different times in the game but that would probably arose suspicion. The best way it seems is to weight them all before the game, let the half play out, then start to take them out of the game. They also took one out at the beginning of the second half. That was the first one minute delay.

You know Kelly...i cant get my head around that.

If true..and i think it is...they were willing to let the Pats play a half with illegal balls? Does that make sense?

I believe they allowed it because I don't think they don't actually measure with any precision. We're not talking rocket surgeons here. They're NFL refs. My guess is they give the balls a squeeze and say "good to go." That doesn't make what the Pats do right -- at all.

See my post above. I don't think anyone is ever checking those balls in any precise way. Ever. You're welcome to believe that they are, but bear in mind that there is more than one organization trying to cover it's ass here. The Pats are one of them. The league is the other. Again, spend some time in large organizations and watch how careless people are about purportedly small issues.

Yup; until one of those small issues blows up into a big problem and it's finger pointing time.

It does only if they wanted concrete evidence of wrong-doing. Check the balls before the game, check them at the half, see if they're meaningfully different (i.e. vary more than temperature would allow.)

But in that case, would they still be absolutely mum 4 days after the game?

I believe they allowed it because I don't think they don't actually measure with any precision. We're not talking rocket surgeons here. They're NFL refs. My guess is they give the balls a squeeze and say "good to go." That doesn't make what the Pats do right -- at all.

It takes almost as long to check as it does to squeeze. You stick a gauge in and pull it out.

Brady is a bad liar, and Bellicheat you can tell is lying when his eyes start moving back and forth and his lips start moving. I know it won't happen, but imo they both should be suspended for the Superblow and short of that, they should be suspended for next year. NFL needs to take action immediately or Superbowl becomes irrelevant.

Patriot lemmings are justifying it because it didn't affect the outcome against the Colts, but it did against the Ravens and possibly other games. I assume they have been doing this for a long time and again any close they have been in should be vacated this year. P.S. AFC championship game should be replayed with the Ravens and then the Superbowl.

I am going to avoid this year's Superblow. Can't stand Seattle and now Patriot cheating makes this whole thing again seem like WWE,. scripted and planned. What a joke the NFL has become, worse than the NBA.

Edited by North Buffalo

ESPN has cut extreme both ways at times. i didnt see it, but ive seen espn air some pretty ridiculous comments so im slow to say "oh well if espn allowed it, its probably true"

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/aikman-on-deflategate-i-can-t-imagine-brady-wouldn-t-have-known-012115

I posted this already, but this thread is moving fast.

Aikman says he can't imagine Brady wouldn't have known, and that when he played no one would mess with the game balls without checking with the QB.

On another note, and I am not defending them, but is there a chance Brady went through "his process" and picked out underinflated balls, and then they went for inspection and were inflated to the appropriate level? And then someone let the air out of them after without Brady knowning? Then he would at least be telling the truth that he didn't notice the difference.

That sounds plausible, but then again I watched the conference and he is clearly lying through his teeth.

I think if they have questions, when the first one comes out of the game i have someone there check the pressure. Seems easy peezy to me. Least seems a lot better than letting them play with balls out of regulation

They're not in the league's control at that point, they're in the team's control.

The smartest thing for the league to do would have been to tell the Pats "We've got reports you're messing around with the ball pressure. We're going to check them at halftime, and at the end of the game." Then the Patriots don't screw around with them, and there's no issue. But given that they did check, and didn't tell the Pats, they were probably playing "sneaky bastards" trying to catch them in the act as part of their "investigation."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/aikman-on-deflategate-i-can-t-imagine-brady-wouldn-t-have-known-012115

Aikman says he can't imagine Brady wouldn't have known, and that when he played no one would mess with the game balls without checking with the QB.

On another note, and I am not defending them, but is there a chance Brady went through "his process" and picked out underinflated balls, and then they went for inspection and were inflated to the appropriate level? And then someone let the air out of them after without Brady knowning? Then he would at least be telling the truth that he didn't notice the difference.

That sounds plausible, but then again I watched the conference and he is clearly lying through his teeth.

He said he never squeezes them to check for inflation. :lol:

The level of precision has already been reported as being around 1 psi.

Yes, the league has a quality control issue. Several, in fact. I've been harping on that all thread. But their QC issue doesn't appear to be enough to account for the magnitude of discrepancy they're reporting.

He said he never squeezes them to check for inflation. :lol:

I'm sure Giselle does. This is her fault.

No.

It takes almost as long to check as it does to squeeze. You stick a gauge in and pull it out.

You're presupposing that they've been doing this for years and have an idea of how to do it. It's pretty clear that they don't; otherwise the Pats would have been caught many times over the years. All of a sudden, they get a warning, so they show up with gauges rather than doing the old squeeze measurement (which I suspect they never did in previous games). You give the league too much credit.

You're presupposing that they've been doing this for years and have an idea of how to do it. It's pretty clear that they don't; otherwise the Pats would have been caught many times over the years. All of a sudden, they get a warning, so they show up with gauges rather than doing the old squeeze measurement (which I suspect they never did in previous games). You give the league too much credit.

I don't agree with you - it's a poor theory, because it adds complexity for its own sake to an explanation that doesn't need it at this point.

But I wouldn't dismiss you out of hand either. For all the bitching we do about the refs week in and week out, to accept without question that they didn't !@#$ this up is disingenuous.

PS - I really do get that people really want to believe that Brady's ballboy minions are working on deflating balls every week under the cover of the gatorade dispenser. It's a great story and confirms our belief that they're evil villains. I think the reason is a lot more simple than that - a lack of quality control regarding this issue because it has never been a controversy before. That doesn't mean that they're not villainous. From reading this thread, though, one gets the sense that people believe that Belichick is a malevolent genius who pulls the strings of the league. He's a jerk, but he's no genius. He's a freaking football coach who has a history of both bending rules and exploiting technicalities.

Edited by dave mcbride

No, there is little reason to check after the game. You don't assume teams are cheating until something happens. They could have been doing this for years for all we know. The league checks before the game and then they are done. This year, after two INTS in November, the Colts thought something was rotten in Denmark with the balls. They seemed under inflated. And the Ravens thought something was rotten in Denmark and told the Colts. The league was told and the league thought something was rotten in Denmark and checked the next game.

I don't agree with you - it's a poor theory, because it adds complexity for its own sake to an explanation that doesn't need it at this point.

But I wouldn't dismiss you out of hand either. For all the bitching we do about the refs week in and week out, to accept without question that they didn't !@#$ this up is disingenuous.

Fair point. But do you really think Walt Coleman knows how to a) handle a gauge or b) has any idea of what PSI means? B-)