New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then you must also check them AFTER the game. Why should it be assumed that a check at halftime assures that the balls used in the 3rd and 4th quarters are inflated within acceptable parameters? It takes maybe 5 seconds a ball using an easily concealable pin to re-deflate a ball that has been pumped up at halftime.

Maybe they don't need to check them, because this is an overblown controversy and the balls have been fine, and no significant advantage is gained?

I'm talking security cameras in the hallways, not necessarily network cameras. Pre-game warmups, fans with phones, all kinds of media are around all the time. If someone can get away with this mid-game on the sideline, all 12 balls, multiple games, across multiple seasons (according to some here). There would be some kind of suspicious footage, somewhere.

THey could easily say they were set up. I wouldn't put it past a Harbaugh :)

And to ACCURATELY deflate 12 balls to the same new pressure, mid-game, on the sideline, surreptitiously with a gauge, it takes less than a second each?

How many camera do you honestly think are focused on the sideline during a game? Say there are 20 total, do you think they have more than 4 focused at the sideline? That's 2 for each team. How hard is it for someone to just stick a needle with a gauge into a ball? It's pretty easy actually,

Considering it takes me less than 2 minutes to inflate/deflate all of the tires on my car while using a gauge, I think someone on the sideline has no trouble doing it in under 5 secs. And I'm normally changing the PSI by 5, not 2.5 for 1 object instead of 4.

Edited by The Wiz

long time reader of this thread first post. maybe second.

i have little hope for the NFL as an entity to resolve this in an above board manner. if the ball boy was responsible than Brady must have known and is guilty. If Brady knew , and he did, Beelzubub did too. but even if he did not. which he did. He is responsible for his players and what they do. Then Kraft is responsible for his team as a whole in the end. i mean thats how business works right?

You are presuming guilt however. What if the ball were never below spec? Or, if it was, what if was simply a case of the refs allowing an under inflated ball? Or, maybe the weather caused a pressure drop? Heck, what if someone who dislikes the Pats got a hold of the ball and stuck a needle in it? Or, maybe Vince Wilfork landed on it and squished it to near death?

You think any of the above should be the responsibility of Kraft and/or the ballboy, Brady or Belichick?

You are presuming guilt however. What if the ball were never below spec? Or, if it was, what if was simply a case of the refs allowing an under inflated ball? Or, maybe the weather caused a pressure drop? Heck, what if someone who dislikes the Pats got a hold of the ball and stuck a needle in it? Or, maybe Vince Wilfork landed on it and squished it to near death?

You think any of the above should be the responsibility of Kraft and/or the ballboy, Brady or Belichick?

11 of 12 ! it's systemic

How many camera do you honestly think are focused on the sideline during a game? Say there are 20 total, do you think they have more than 4 focused at the sideline? That's 2 for each team. How hard is it for someone to just stick a needle with a gauge into a ball? It's pretty easy actually,

I'm not sure what to say, except that there are cameras all over the stadiums, and some are filming individuals, some are on groups, some are on wide areas...if they are doing this regularly, it would be on film somewhere.

I'm not sure what to say, except that there are cameras all over the stadiums, and some are filming individuals, some are on groups, some are on wide areas...if they are doing this regularly, it would be on film somewhere.

And someone touching a football for a second would like they are just picking it up.

And someone touching a football for a second would like they are just picking it up.

And jamming a gauge into it, and checking to see that it is at the right pressure, and doing it to 12 balls, repeatedly, unnoticed, every game, every season, for 15 years.

Edited by HoF Watkins