Belichick should get a Sean Payton-esque punishment

If it is found true the the Pats* did, in fact, tamper with game balls in the AFC Championship game, and the hoodie was found to be behind it, being that this is the second instance (that we know of) of New England trying to gain an unfair advantage, he should be suspended from the league for 2015 IMO.

I dont see where Belichick is any different. Now true, in New Orleans it was found that Payton and Greggo were offering incentive to defensive personel to blatenly injure players on the opposing team. But cutting corners and blatenly breaking league rules I believe the punishment should be just ad harsh, especially since this IS the second occasion.

The "wrist slaps" and taking draft picks away ain't gonna teach these bozos squat. Especially since they can still go out and sign free agents.

The New England Patriots are no better than any other of the 31 NFL teams. It's a shame they're treated that way though...both on and off the field.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BB is in charge of new englands football operation and if they find that it was systemic issue he should ultimately be the one held responsible. We all know that deflated footballs did not change the outcome of the game but the INTENT to steer around the rules in order to gain a favorable outcome was there. Thats all that really matters, the intent.

If I am Goodell and I determine the Patriots purposely tried to taint the integrity of the game in anyway, the only way I can address this properly is to suspend Bill Belichick for the superbowl and fine the patriots draft picks.

Either way the Patriots hurt themselves and the NFL with this **** and Im sure the league office is pissed. People already question the validity of all of BB accomplishments since spygate, this only further cements the conspiracy theorys

It sure seems like people are saying well it didn't have anything to do with outcome of game against the Colts which is true but did it have anything to do with the outcome against the Ravens, if this was something they do it wasn't the first time they did it. Did the ball that Edelman threw weigh 2 lbs PSI less that play was huge.

Edited by Gestes72

It sure seems like people are saying well it didn't have anything to do with outcome of game against the Colts which is true but did it have anything to do with the outcome against the Ravens, if this was something they do it wasn't the first time they did it. Did the ball that Edelman threw weigh 2 lbs less that play was huge.

You know the ball didn't weigh 2 pounds less, right? A football only weighs 14 - 15 ounces inflated (not even 1 pound). The ball was down 2 Pounds per Square Inch (PSI), not two full pounds...

Not defending it, but let's at least make sure we're outraged about the right thing.

If, in fact the Patriots broke the rules, are they not the most Nixonian franchise in the NFL.

I am not being political. Nixon probably was going to win that 1972 election in a landslide regardless. Even knowing the probable outcome, Watergate happened.

The Patriots are a great team. Belichick is a great coach. Brady is one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Yet, the Patriots always seem to do this type of stuff even though it is (for the most part) completely unecessary.

You know the ball didn't weigh 2 pounds less, right? A football only weighs 14 - 15 ounces inflated (not even 1 pound). The ball was down 2 Pounds per Square Inch (PSI), not two full pounds...

Not defending it, but let's at least make sure we're outraged about the right thing.

Fixed it, still if that ball had an issue that was in fact a game in doubt which was my main point.

Mark Brunell said this morning he could throw an underinflated ball 10 yards farther. Edelman probably doesn't have the largest hands, either, and remember the NFL ball is slightly larger than the college ball.

Mark Brunell said this morning he could throw an underinflated ball 10 yards farther. Edelman probably doesn't have the largest hands, either, and remember the NFL ball is slightly larger than the college ball.

they should hand brunell two balls on tonights sportscenter and see if hes accurate in that statement.

NPR chimes in on the science of it http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/20/378581349/scientists-say-the-nfls-deflate-gate-isnt-all-hot-air

Edited by NoSaint

I played QB in highschool. I would deflate the balls as much as the Refs would let us get away with (yes the refs check the balls before the games start, even in HS). Not only can you throw a ball farther (because you can grip it better) you can also be more accurate (because you can grip it better) ESPECIALLY IN BAD WEATHER.

People brushing this off that it is no big deal are totally wrong. NFL games are usually super close. One or two plays decides the outcome of the game. One errant throw on a third down - drive over, game won by the other team. One errant throw that gets picked. One sack the QB fumbles instead of not.

This could easily change the outcome of a close game played in cold or wet weather. You know, like the BALTIMORE GAME!!!! Even the Colts game was a 10 point game at half. Maybe its not even a 10 point game if NE isn't cheating the entire first half??

I think it's cute that you guys think the NFL would do anything substantial to New England.

I have been saying it for years- this league is fixed! Maybe not in the traditional sense, but these refs know they will get called to the mat if they make questionable calls against the wrong organization. If this is true, and I don't think we will ever get the real answer, they will get minimum fine and maybe lose a mid to late round pick. Trust me when I tell you, if the Bills, Lions, Rams, Jaguars or any other "no name" or "irrelevant" team got caught, there would be forfeits, suspensions, draft picks and lifetime bands. The NFL is barely better then the WWF.