Can we all stop pretending that Marrone quit?

ShipUPride

Since we are speculating, I say Marrone tried a power play for more control over everything. I think he thought he would succeed because of his discussions with Polian. The Pegula's probably reflected and thought "been there, done that." and said no, sorry. I don't think the Pegula's thought the decision would cost them Polian's services. Marrone decided if he couldn't have it his way he would leave.

Going forward, I like that Brandon, Whaley and Ryan all report to Pegula. It puts him in a better position to evaluate each of them and handle the conflicts that will inevitably occur.

I have been waiting for this discussion to crop up.

Mike Schopp (everyone's favorite local radio host) actually suggested this on-air a few days ago, and it was the first time I heard it publicly suggested.

Of course this is 100% conjecture on everyone's part.

The bottom line is it is highly unlikely Marrone was fired, but as part of some ruse designed to make it look like Marrone resigned.

First, what would Pegula's incentive be to do that? Why not just fire the guy?

What would Marrone's incentive be to do the same? Well, he would have an incentive: it would allow him to be fired while telling the world "he resigned to pursue other options" which makes him look a bit better than getting canned.

But all the benefit would go to Marrone in this scenario. So how do you shift some incentive/benefit back to Pegula to play along?

He strikes a deal with Marrone. If Marrone is straight up fired, it costs $8 million. If he "resigns" it costs $4 million. He is in reality being fired (benefits Pegula) but the world will be told he resigned (benefits Marrone) and they split the difference, meaning Marrone is paid $6 million and not $4 or $8 million to walk away.

That's about as good as an explanation as I can come up with, which really makes no sense. Pegula wouldn't need to play these types of games to save a few million, which he will never miss from the spare change coffee can anyway. And he really shouldn't be that concerned with selling a fire as a resignation.

My conclusion: Marrone's representation badly handled this and advised Marrone poorly. They had what's his name in the press (represented by same agent) leak this business of the 3 day opt out provision.

This was designed to test the waters.

They then obviously either got bad information suggesting Marrone had hot leads to be the HC elsewhere, or, Marrone ruined it all when he bad-mouthed the Bills to Polian, and then Polian, not liking the approach, ratted him out to the NFL at large, thus black listing Marrone.

It's also possible other franchises were telling the agent "we have strong interest in your client" (Marrone) and they actually did...at the time. They then entered the interview process and decided to go in other directions, for whatever reason.

Overall, I say Marrone resigned, he was not fired.

I also say he will have trouble getting a HC job in the NFL ever again.

I liken the situation to a case where the girlfriend (Doug) wants a stronger commitment from her boyfriend (Terry), yet he just isn't ready to give her that ring b/c there might be that bigger better fish out there. Sensing that the bf isn't that into her, the gf thinks she has a suitor elsewhere and says she needs to move on. The BF says she can take all the jewelry he's bought for her already, and good luck. She comes to find out there's not much of a market for her and overvalued her worth, whereas the guy has already moved on and possibly found that bigger better fish already. If Terry really wanted Marrone, he would have given him that ring.

I liken the situation to a case where the girlfriend (Doug) wants a stronger commitment from her boyfriend (Terry), yet he just isn't ready to give her that ring b/c there might be that bigger better fish out there. Sensing that the bf isn't that into her, the gf thinks she has a suitor elsewhere and says she needs to move on. The BF says she can take all the jewelry he's bought for her already, and good luck. She comes to find out there's not much of a market for her and overvalued her worth, whereas the guy has already moved on and possibly found that bigger better fish already. If Terry really wanted Marrone, he would have given him that ring.

This is a pretty straight forward analysis. The problem I have with this, though, is that didn't we have a lot of Tweets at the time from the national Press who allegedly actually know what's going on that Pegula was prepared to make some type of contract extension to Marrone!?

So that is kind of like giving the ring! In theory (according to those reports at least and assuming they were correct) Pegula effectively said: "I have seen enough of this Marrone character...and I like what I see. Here is more money and more contract term to keep you around even longer."

That scares the hell out of me.

It was only THEN that Marrone would have said (I suppose) "Give me more power, extend my entire staff as well, and I want control over the extended roster and I want to make decisions that traditionally would be made by Whaley."

And according to the story, THAT is when Pegula said "Get out of town."

This is a pretty straight forward analysis. The problem I have with this, though, is that didn't we have a lot of Tweets at the time from the national Press who allegedly actually know what's going on that Pegula was prepared to make some type of contract extension to Marrone!?

So that is kind of like giving the ring! In theory (according to those reports at least and assuming they were correct) Pegula effectively said: "I have seen enough of this Marrone character...and I like what I see. Here is more money and more contract term to keep you around even longer."

That scares the hell out of me.

It was only THEN that Marrone would have said (I suppose) "Give me more power, extend my entire staff as well, and I want control over the extended roster and I want to make decisions that traditionally would be made by Whaley."

And according to the story, THAT is when Pegula said "Get out of town."

Eh, so if those reports are accurate, it's as if he was going to give her the ring, then she started to go power crazy and say this is where we're gonna live, this is how many kids were having, this is how we're going to raise them. That's when Terry realized he had to reassess the situation and Doug walked.

Meanwhile, as Bills fans, we're Terry's best friend essentially looking out for his best interest at all times. Most of us think the ex GF was crazy and see that he's much happier now and want to see her life suck.

I think it's pretty clear the OP has no basis for what he's purporting.

Pretty clear that DM has found this board. Why would Marrone quit when he could stay, get fired after a 9 win season, and then make 8 million. Marrone quit, plane and simple. As someone else suggested, he prob thought he had the Jets job in the bag, but the Jets backed out after seeing how he conducted himself (telling players by text, badmouthing the Bills to Polian, etc)