[Please Change Title]Pepper Johnson?

uticaclub

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DL coach replacing Pepper is better. Karl Dunbar.Like you really know how good these two guys are at coaching defensive linemen.

LOL. so true. If he's a name that's recognizable and that we've been told is good before, he must be good.

There are good position coaches on every staff. There are even great position coaches who have poor production at their position group. It's not always on the coach

LOL. so true. If he's a name that's recognizable and that we've been told is good before, he must be good. There are good position coaches on every staff. There are even great position coaches who have poor production at their position group. It's not always on the coach

Right? Like I think to myself, pepper johnson is a player that was good + the bills defense was good last year = I kinda sorta have an impression that he's a good coach but I've never watched him coach for one second. For all I know he's like the old assistant jv coach in high school that everyone makes fun of. For all I know this Dunbar character falls asleep in team meetings with a lit cigar in his mouth. For all I know he'll be the next Bill belichick. But don't come on here and tell everyone you know how good these guys are at coaching.

For one thng Rex told Pepper there is always a spot for him, just like he told Schwartz. What exactly are you complaining about?

Its a team of guys going back to Baltimore. When you have success then why change?

I'm just not a fan of cronyism and nepotism. I have seen it all my adult life, people getting jobs there not qualified for or maybe are qualified for it but get hired over better candidates because they know the a-hole in charge. I'm sure Rex feels "his guys" are great coaches and maybe they are, but I think there are better candidates out there, thats all.

If Pepper was offered a spot and he refused...then that sucks for us. He was a good coach (imo).

News Flash all coaches bring guys they know and trust in... No need to sign your name, people can see this is your post.

Ummm...Okay? News Flash.... Do you sign a letter you send in the mail even though you add your name and return address to the envelope? They know it's you that sent the letter.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

I don't see any cronyism or nepotism going on. All accounts are that they are going after some big fish assistant coaches.

Thurmann has been with this D since 2002. Experience matters.

Karl Dunbar has a proven track record of success and he is not from the Ravens mid 2000s D staff. He coached the Vikings dominant DL from the mid 2000s and developed Kevin Williams in college to be a top 10 pick. He molded Mo Wilkerson into a great player. He coached Sheldon Richardson to a dominant rookie season. He is arguably the best DL coach in the league. Proven track record.

Pepper has a proven track record also and I'd love for him to be back coaching OLBs in this defense. It would also be good for his career IMO.

Like you really know how good these two guys are at coaching defensive linemen.

I've known about Dunbar before he went to the Jets.

I'm just not a fan of cronyism and nepotism. I have seen it all my adult life, people getting jobs there not qualified for or maybe are qualified for it but get hired over better candidates because they know the a-hole in charge. I'm sure Rex feels "his guys" are great coaches and maybe they are, but I think there are better candidates out there, thats all.

If Pepper was offered a spot and he refused...then that sucks for us. He was a good coach (imo).

Ummm...Okay? News Flash.... Do you sign a letter you send in the mail even though you add your name and return address to the envelope? They know it's you that sent the letter.

BigPappy

typically when putting together a staff most qualified coaches have contracts. That is why you see coaches bring along guys they have worked with. Plus it's a team, you want a staff that works well together. You spend most of your hours with the coaching staff, must get along and have similar vision.

I don't see any cronyism or nepotism going on. All accounts are that they are going after some big fish assistant coaches.

Thurmann has been with this D since 2002. Experience matters.

Karl Dunbar has a proven track record of success and he is not from the Ravens mid 2000s D staff. He coached the Vikings dominant DL from the mid 2000s and developed Kevin Williams in college to be a top 10 pick. He molded Mo Wilkerson into a great player. He coached Sheldon Richardson to a dominant rookie season. He is arguably the best DL coach in the league. Proven track record.

Pepper has a proven track record also and I'd love for him to be back coaching OLBs in this defense. It would also be good for his career IMO.

I've known about Dunbar before he went to the Jets.

typically when putting together a staff most qualified coaches have contracts. That is why you see coaches bring along guys they have worked with. Plus it's a team, you want a staff that works well together. You spend most of your hours with the coaching staff, must get along and have similar vision.

All valid points, but perception is everything and it looks like he didn't look for the "best coach" available, just the best coaches available that he has worked with on the Jests or Baltimore. Please...don't get me wrong, it may very well be a good staff and god knows i want them to succeed! But as good as they are supposed to be, the Jests Defense has been horrid this season, and was not very good the season prior. They were okay overall, but sorry.....as a fan, I am tired of "just okay"! Maybe they can deliver, but as a "team" of coaches it does not look like they have worked very well together in the past few years. again...jmho

BigPappy

Couldn't the Bills make him assistant defensive coordinator?

That would be good for the Bills and good for Pepper's career aspirations. Get him involved in everything. He could learn Rex's D. He certainly would have insight into Belichick's D.

Win all around.

Edited by Peter

Not impressed with all of the dismissals and such just to bring in coaches from Jest or he happened to work with previously.

Pepper is no longer listed on website.

I would rather he being looking at the best he can not just those he know.

Funny how he makes crack about loyalty of Marrone but what about the loyalty to assistant coaches who worked hard for season last year?

It goes both ways.

Why would he care about them. They weren't his guys. Its not disloyal to bring in your people. Its actually more loyal. I dont follow your train of thought at all.

The Defensive coaching staff hires just seem to be cronyism at its finest, and i don't mean it in a good way. What happened to find the best guy available, not just the shmuck you worked with at your last job because that's who you know. Just pathetic! Maybe it will turn out to be a good staff but, i just don't like how its playing out for hiring of the defensive staff. Pepper definitely deserved a spot on the staff if he wanted one!

JMHO

BigPappy

If you build and are known for a strong defense... why on earth would you not want to bring your boys with you. You work well with them and are on the Same page. Is there anyone who wouldn't want Rexs defense to be run here? Serious question. You notice he brought Not many if any from his offensive staff? That that would be cronyism ala Marrone. Didn't we learn anything from the hire of Pettine. Lets not judge until we see whats on the field. These guys are profesionals let them work

Yea... These aren't letters. Also I highly doubt you know better then Rex about candidates for positions coaches... Actually I am sure of it. Edited by Beef Jerky

Not impressed with all of the dismissals and such just to bring in coaches from Jest or he happened to work with previously.

Pepper is no longer listed on website.

I would rather he being looking at the best he can not just those he know.

Funny how he makes crack about loyalty of Marrone but what about the loyalty to assistant coaches who worked hard for season last year?

It goes both ways.

He must believe the guys he brought in are good fits, share his vision, and are good coaches. Other than looking really hard to find something to complain about, what exactly is your beef?

He must believe the guys he brought in are good fits, share his vision, and are good coaches. Other than looking really hard to find something to complain about, what exactly is your beef?

Agreed. It is not unusual at all for a new HC to bring in his own staff. It just makes sense.

BigPappy

What makes you think it's cronyism? I am sure that any coach who hires assistants and feels they have been doing a great job, would want to bring them over from his previous job. It's not just because he knows them. It's also because he has first hand experience working with them and because he trusts them. If there is an assistant he didn't like.....well then it makes sense to find someone else. Also, the coach hired them in the first place. He likely feels some responsibility to look out for them. That to me is returning loyalty for being loyal. He had a working relationship with them and owes them for the loyalty that they gave him. The only time when that isn't true is when that assistant did not perform up to expectations. Cronyism? No.

Couldn't the Bills make him assistant defensive coordinator?

That would be good for the Bills and good for Pepper's career aspirations. Get him involved in everything. He could learn Rex's D. He certainly would have insight into Belichick's D.

Win all around.

Sure, it would be good for his career, but, does it make sense? What are you going to make Henderson so that he doesn't feel slighted? Maybe the co-co-defensive coordinator?