Trade for Mike Glennon?

It's exciting to dream that Roman would push up EJ's QB rating 10 to 20 points.

But what did Roman accomplish with Kaep this year?

Kaep under Roman:

2012 62% of his passes, with 14 TDs, 5 INTs, and a 99 Rating

2013 58% of his passes, with 24 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 88.7 Rating

2014 61% of his passes, with 19 TDs, 10 INTs, and a 86.4 Rating

IMHO, Kaep may be the best athlete at QB in the NFL; however, he has as many issues as EJ, if not more, as a pocket passer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How so? He only started 6 games, of which they won 1 and lost 2 by less than a TD.

Two of the losses were Atlanta (played pretty well) and Baltimore (blowout).

He didn't set the world on fire, but he wasn't a "dumpster fire" either.

That said, I think there would be call for beheading if Whaley traded EJ for a 5th or a 5th and a 7th right now, even if we are bringing in a QB we expect to be better.

Same likely in Tampa.

They lost 56 -14 to Atlanta. I don't think he is any better or worse than EJ.

If I were the Bills I would offer Tampa bay a fifth round pick this year for Mike Glennon. He has good size, a big arm and in 19 games has passed for 4025 yards 58.8% completion 29 TD's and only 15 INT's. Then have EJ and Glennon compete for the starting job. Between the two of them in a competition you should get one starter. I hope.

Having a healthy competition to fill the QB position is a good thing, no doubt. IF I was Whaley and/or Mr. & Mrs. Pegula's point man on personnel matters I would stay clear of bringing in a "retread" as much as doing my due diligence and finding a diamond in the rough in the latter rounds (think Tom Brady). Sometimes all anyone needs is a chance (think Kurt Warner). EJ and the entire Bills organization will be better served seeking out these types mentioned above than someone with mere "stats", which come with and carry many variables to discern. Fetch a modern day Brady or Warner off everyone else's radar and give him an opportunity to shine.

The above strategy also earmarks a priority of funds to shore up the O-line and give anchor Center Eric Woods some help upfront. No need to waste money on a prima donna QB, or a legend in his own mind.

Edited by Lombardi1

Having a healthy competition to fill the QB position is a good thing, no doubt. IF I was Whaley and/or Mr. & Mrs. Pegula's point man on personnel matters I would stay clear of bringing in a "retread" as much as doing my due diligence and finding a diamond in the rough in the latter rounds (think Tom Brady). Sometimes all anyone needs is a chance (think Kurt Warner). EJ and the entire Bills organization will be better served seeking out these types mentioned above than someone with mere "stats", which come with and carry many variables to discern. Fetch a modern day Brady or Warner off everyone else's radar and give him an opportunity to shine.

The above strategy also earmarks a priority of funds to shore up the O-line and give anchor Center Eric Woods some help upfront. No need to waste money on a prima donna QB, or a legend in his own mind.

So your strategy is to find a HOF QB in the 6th round or later?

Are we being trolled?

P.s. "Woods" is a WR & "Wood" is an OL.

I am hoping that if EJ is the guy that he completes between 63-65% of his passes, 3800 yards, 23 TDS & 12 INTs. I would be happy with something like that. Thoughts?

3800 = 240 yards passing per game which seems appropriate. 23 TDS and < 10 INTs' would be very good. (now for the trick part ... whose stats are those?)

It's exciting to dream that Roman would push up EJ's QB rating 10 to 20 points.

But what did Roman accomplish with Kaep this year?

A) The 49ers still had a high ranked rushing total

B) IMO maybe Kap was the reason for Kaps performances. a bit too cocky for his own good re- RGIII

I also read this AM where the Bills O was something like 20th to 22nd under EJ (10 games) in 2013 and dropped to 24th to 26th under Orton in (10 games)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

3800 = 240 yards passing per game which seems appropriate. 23 TDS and < 10 INTs' would be very good. (now for the trick part ... whose stats are those?)

Ha ha, Kyle Orton this year (extrapolated over 16 games). You knew there was a trick!!

It's just slightly off of Tannehill (a couple hundred yards and a couple of TDs). I'd be fine with something like that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mike Glennon is a statue in a league where QBs increasingly will need "legs" to succeed. The speed on defense just gets quicker and quicker every year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Roman does for Manuel. Alex Smith went from an average of 71 QB rating to a 90 QB rating the season he was first coached by Roman. Also, Roman made Kaepernick a real threat for a couple of years.

I think EJ will solidify the QB position with much improved play this year under Roman.

Edited by 1billsfan

Ha ha, Kyle Orton this year (extrapolated over 16 games). You knew there was a trick!!

It's just slightly off of Tannehill (a couple hundred yards and a couple of TDs). I'd be fine with something like that.

I looked at Kyles #'s but only did the math for 12 games. the advantage for EJ is he can scramble when it comes to it. Did Orton ever run a QB sneak? I think I saw him scramble once roe a 8+yard 1st down and one other time where he could have made the 1st but slid too early and ended up 12 yards shy.

I'm OK with a QB that doesn't have to pass for a lot of yards. I'm a rush first pass send guy and a QB than can actually run when needed to score TD's.

I looked at Kyles #'s but only did the math for 12 games. the advantage for EJ is he can scramble when it comes to it. Did Orton ever run a QB sneak? I think I saw him scramble once roe a 8+yard 1st down and one other time where he could have made the 1st but slid too early and ended up 12 yards shy.

I'm OK with a QB that doesn't have to pass for a lot of yards. I'm a rush first pass send guy and a QB than can actually run when needed to score TD's.

I'm just trying to put into context what we watched last year. Orton is by no means the answer but he was okay. You just said yourself that you would be comfortable with exactly what he gave you.

EJ averages 17 yards rushing a game as a member of the Bills. That isn't exactly the dynamic runner that some believe. I hope that he improves but I don't see it. I don't think that Glennon or EJ will be starting on opening day.

I am hoping that if EJ is the guy that he completes between 63-65% of his passes, 3800 yards, 23 TDS & 12 INTs. I would be happy with something like that. Thoughts?

those would be fantastic stats from EJ. Esp. if we establish a dominant run game.

I'm just trying to put into context what we watched last year. Orton is by no means the answer but he was okay. You just said yourself that you would be comfortable with exactly what he gave you.

EJ averages 17 yards rushing a game as a member of the Bills. That isn't exactly the dynamic runner that some believe. I hope that he improves but I don't see it. I don't think that Glennon or EJ will be starting on opening day.

who do you think starts opening day? I'm thinking Sanchez.

those would be fantastic stats from EJ. Esp. if we establish a dominant run game.

who do you think starts opening day? I'm thinking Sanchez.

I've been saying Bradford for months (no idea why). I am sticking with that. He just seems to fit age wise into what they are doing. Obviously, he comes with question marks but if (and it is a big if) he stays healthy the Bills will win 11 games.

comfortable with similar passing numbers yes. But there is more to passing yards, which is why I would have preferred EJ.

Orton wasn't an improvement and IMO he wasn't the best chance to win.

Didn't we already have a couple threads with this exact same subject in the last couple of weeks?

So Bison, all that you say of Glennon is true. Also add that Tampa drafted him in the 3rd round 2 years ago.

Let's pretend that you're the Tampa Bay GM for a minute. You have 2 QB on your roster: Josh McCown, signed for 1 year at $5.2M with no dead money if you cut him, and Glennon, signed for 2 years at $600k/yr. Let's suppose you aren't sold on Glennon as your franchise boy and you plan to use that #1 pick on Winston or Mariota.

Every team needs at least 2 competent QB. Do you accept that offer of a 5th round pick? If so, why?

Exactly...

I think in hindsight the Bucs probably wish they gave Glennon the entire year to see where he is...But I'm not sure why any NFL team would consider trading a 3rd year QB who in only 19 games has thrown 29 TD's to 15 INT's... B-)

Didn't we already have a couple threads with this exact same subject in the last couple of weeks?

So Bison, all that you say of Glennon is true. Also add that Tampa drafted him in the 3rd round 2 years ago.

Let's pretend that you're the Tampa Bay GM for a minute. You have 2 QB on your roster: Josh McCown, signed for 1 year at $5.2M with no dead money if you cut him, and Glennon, signed for 2 years at $600k/yr. Let's suppose you aren't sold on Glennon as your franchise boy and you plan to use that #1 pick on Winston or Mariota.

Every team needs at least 2 competent QB. Do you accept that offer of a 5th round pick? If so, why?

I appreciate your arguments hopeful, and I agree that a 5th round pick wouldn't cut it. However, as you know I'm a Glennon fan. I would offer a higher pick than a 5th, certainly. At a certain point, bringing in a draft pick is more important than contractual issues - especially ones at that level.

Although I do believe that Glennon is better than anything we have at the moment, I do not believe he is a fit for what Roman would like to do.

Unfortunately, I agree.

I've watched Glennon a ton, and I really believe he can do very well in this league. I would be thrilled if we made the trade.

I'd laugh if this came true since i was the Captain of the Mike Glennon fan club on this board the entire college season before he was draft eligible. I definitely wanted him instead of EJ. Who knows if he'd be able to raise his game here.

I don't think you have to "have legs" to succeed as a QB. You need to have great pocket presence and awareness...be intelligent and get rid of the ball. Brady just side steps rushers or steps up at the perfect time...as did Peyton in his prime.

Think Alex Smith under Greg Roman:

2009 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 60 % of his passes, with 18 TDs, 12 INTs, and 81.5 Rating

2010 (Before Roman) 11 games, completed 59 % of his passes, with 14 TDs, 10 INTs, and 82.1 Rating

2011 (With Roman) 18 games, completed 61% of his passes, with 22 TDs, 5 INTs, and 92.1 Rating

2012 (With Roman) 9 games, completed 70% of his passes, with 13 TDs, 5 INTs, and 100.4 Rating

There's also an experience factor involved, which can't be totally discounted.