Chan Gailey OC for the Jets?

Jobu

Wasn't Chan's offense here predicated upon a smart QB like Fitz making lightning quick reads? I would love Geno to play that offense.

Also, Chan sucked at game planning for 3-4 defenses.

I'm truly happy for him to be back in the league, I just don't fear going up against him twice a year.

Edited by stony

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Chan's offense here predicated upon a smart QB like Fitz making lightning quick reads? I would love Geno to play that offense.

Also, Chan sucked at game planning for 3-4 defenses.

I'm truly happy for him to be back in the league, I just don't fear going up against him twice a year.

i thought Geno was done in NY. Was Woody looking for someone to "revive" him like Whaley was with EJ? Idzik drafted him and he's gone. I would think Geno would be backup at best, maybe they will sign Fitzy.

i thought Geno was done in NY. Was Woody looking for someone to "revive" him like Whaley was with EJ? Idzik drafted him and he's gone. I would think Geno would be backup at best, maybe they will sign Fitzy.

I'm not sure about Geno. It'll be Chan's show I would assume given Bowles background. Curious to see who he'd want. Like you say, Fitzy will be available. How weird would it be to see Fitz and Chan back at the Ralph?

IMO, Chan is a good hire for the Jets. I think he is a good offensive coordinator, but, beyond that, I respect who he is. Contrast the manner in which he said good bye to the Bills' players and fans with the manner in which Marrone left. He is a man whose heart was truly in this team and city while he was here. Debate all you want about his skills as a coach, and I know that results are the bottom line; however, for me, he is an easy guy to root for. I wish him well...

...but not his team :D

Happy to see Chan back in the league -- he's a good man and a good offensive coach.

Not all that concerned about the Bills playing them, however -- remember how Rex consistently ate Chan's offenses for lunch a couple of years back?

So in the two offseasons since he left the Bills he has had no interest and now all of a sudden he is a candidate for OC jobs everywhere - is the coaching talent pool that shallow this time around?

Last I heard he was retired and growing tomatoes in SC. He must have told his agent he wanted to coach again? He really had no interest anywhere for even OC after he got fired from the Bills from what I recall.

So in the two offseasons since he left the Bills he has had no interest and now all of a sudden he is a candidate for OC jobs everywhere - is the coaching talent pool that shallow this time around?

Yep, just like the QB talent pool

Sometimes you just need a break. Coaching is a high stress job and Chan is no spring chicken.

Good for him. Always thought he was a class act

Last I heard he was retired and growing tomatoes in SC. He must have told his agent he wanted to coach again? He really had no interest anywhere for even OC after he got fired from the Bills from what I recall.

I heard he got offers but walked away.

Like I said in the other thread about him going to the Browns - he is a classy guy. His exit press statement was one of the classiest things I've ever witnessed in my years watching the NFL. In terms of Head Coaches who I have really rooted for in Buffalo Chan was top of the list. I always feared he was in above his head but I really, really wanted him to succeed.

Surprised no one is talking about how inbred the AFC East has become.

Chan and Bowles used to scheme against each other when Bowles was the d-coordinator of the Dolphins and Chan was the HC/OC of the Bills; Rex as well all know was the HC of the Jets.

Now that has all been scrambled around, Rex is here, Bowles and Gailey are in New Jersey. Kinda wild.

Chan has also been in Miami. Lots of recycling.

"Jets hired Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator." So, its a done deal, Chan to Jets.

Interesting quote from Rotoworld, http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1

"If the Jets choose to keep Percy Harvin at his $10.5 million salary, it could mean big things for him. Gailey likes to spread his offense out and run fast. He was Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing. We like the hire for the Jets."

The Jets have a really good O line, WR Percy Harvin, WR Eric Decker, TE Jace Amaro, a Spiller clone in CJ2K, and a bruising RB in Chris Ivory. The previous Jets OC was just lame, and didn't use the talent on hand very well.

Not sure what this means for Mike Vick, but I think Geno look better running Chan's "pistol offense".

it could end up closer to his college scheme where he was distributing to playmakers efficiently, instead of asking him to go big like the jets did at times.

IMO, Chan is a good hire for the Jets. I think he is a good offensive coordinator, but, beyond that, I respect who he is. Contrast the manner in which he said good bye to the Bills' players and fans with the manner in which Marrone left. He is a man whose heart was truly in this team and city while he was here. Debate all you want about his skills as a coach, and I know that results are the bottom line; however, for me, he is an easy guy to root for. I wish him well...

...but not his team :D

Agreed.

Like I said in the other thread about him going to the Browns - he is a classy guy. His exit press statement was one of the classiest things I've ever witnessed in my years watching the NFL. In terms of Head Coaches who I have really rooted for in Buffalo Chan was top of the list. I always feared he was in above his head but I really, really wanted him to succeed.

So you think Chan's exit comments were classier than Marrone's? Oh yeah - Marrone did not say boo to anyone.