Chan Gailey OC for the Jets?

Jobu

Wasn't Chan's offense here predicated upon a smart QB like Fitz making lightning quick reads? I would love Geno to play that offense.

Also, Chan sucked at game planning for 3-4 defenses.

I'm truly happy for him to be back in the league, I just don't fear going up against him twice a year.

It was---or a smart QB changing Chan's play at the line.

Chan will be exposed (again) with that O in NY

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was---or a smart QB changing Chan's play at the line.

Chan will be exposed (again) with that O in NY

The Jets have as good a D as any in the NFL and yes Rex as part of it but their new HC did pretty good things with the Arizona D which also amongst the NFLs best. Chan might not have to game plan a great offense to turn them around. Granted he does need to find them a QB as doubt he can turn Geno Smith into anything more than an NFL backup.

The problem with Gailey's offense especially with the Bills is that his teams were soft. I remember how the Jets battered the Bills during those years.

This was certainly the case but I think a lot of that had to do with the defense.

It wouldnt be a bad choice for them. I can see him developing Chris Ivory and utilising Chris Johnson to his fullest (CJ is the slower version of CJ2K in his prime. Now that he's CJ0.5k, he's worse, but he's got just enough for Gailey to work with). I'd be a little afraid of him for that. Plus I'd like to note, Fitzpatrick had a decent year under him, until we started losing a lot of games...

Chan is a pretty good OC

Terrible HC

I am not sure why people state, like a fact, that he was such a "terrible HC." A lot of head coaches do what he did; get an experienced DC and cede control of the defense. That Wannstedt was shockingly terrible doesn't mean that Chan was necessarily a terrible HC. I mean, the guy was 18-14 in two seasons as the Cowboys HC. Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

IMO Bowles was a bad hire for the jets. he was a little overrated. I know his defense dealt with injury and all, but it kinda fell apart. Quinn was the better choice, IMO.

What would worry me about his defense is the Pettine factor - when they were playing from behind and teams wanted to run the ball they struggled to stop them. Playing from the front that aggressive high blitz % defense works... but when you are behind you have to go back to doing your fundamentals well and stopping the run.

However, we don't know how much of the defense will be him and how much will be others. Dan Quinn is in a tough spot really. He is where Greg Roman was last year, quite a hot candidate but teams are scared to wait until the play-offs have ended to hire a Head Coach. They want to get started on the Senior Bowl etc. But when Seattle do have that down year, like San Fran this year, then people will say that counts against him for a HC job.

@JasonLaCanfora: Jets finalizing Cardinals LB coach Mike Caldwell as an assistant head coach. Sounds like Chan Gailey might not be a slam dunk as their OC

Maybe Gailey watched some film of Geno and...

I like Chan. I hope for the guy he gets a job. I hope for the Bills he doesn't go to the Jets.

Wasn't Chan's offense here predicated upon a smart QB like Fitz making lightning quick reads? I would love Geno to play that offense.

Also, Chan sucked at game planning for 3-4 defenses.

I'm truly happy for him to be back in the league, I just don't fear going up against him twice a year.

Gailey's offense here had to be quick reads because Fitz can't accurately throw the ball outside the hash marks more than 12 yards down the field.

What would worry me about his defense is the Pettine factor - when they were playing from behind and teams wanted to run the ball they struggled to stop them. Playing from the front that aggressive high blitz % defense works... but when you are behind you have to go back to doing your fundamentals well and stopping the run.

The defense wasn't the problem, the execution was. There were so many mistakes by the LBers that the BILLS essentially went out and got an entirely new corp last offseason.

Our defense was better because the personnel was better. I have zero doubt we'd have been just as good with Pettine because of the upgrades to the personnel and the experience the young players got that first season.

Gailey's offense here had to be quick reads because Fitz can't accurately throw the ball outside the hash marks more than 12 yards down the field.

The defense wasn't the problem, the execution was. There were so many mistakes by the LBers that the BILLS essentially went out and got an entirely new corp last offseason.

Our defense was better because the personnel was better. I have zero doubt we'd have been just as good with Pettine because of the upgrades to the personnel and the experience the young players got that first season.

The personnel was better. But the Bills players made a point a couple different times about the fact that they were taught a lot more attention to detail about their assignments as well as held accountable by Schwartz that was different from Pettine. And the Pettine Browns were similarly reckless and seemed to give up a lot of big runs. Our basic run defense with Pettine was not really a problem, it was the gambling and the missed assignment that allowed way too many 15-25-35 yard runs.

But even losing Byrd and Kiko, while substantial, our personnel was better. Spikes, (the new) Bradham, Graham and Brown made a huge difference.

I did as well... Guess it isn't a done deal and they are looking at other options

They must have looked at his endless "5 wide" lineups.

The Chan nostalgia is typical--but the overwhelming sentiment here by the end of his career was that he was inflexible and defenses had figured his simple scheme out.