Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

I haven't read this because Rodak so someone let me know if isn't stupid

@mikerodak: Diving deeper into the Xs and Os of Rex Ryan's defense and why a Rex-Schwartz marriage might not work: http://t.co/bNcW3nysLr

@mikerodak: If Bills go back to Ryan/Pettine scheme, it could put Hughes back in part-time role. Lessens his value to Bills and Bills' appeal to him.

@mikerodak: The change would also be bad news for Nigel Bradham, who was better fit under Schwartz than Pettine. Lessens need for contract extension.

@mikerodak: Meanwhile, change would be good news for Manny Lawson. Was good fit at OLB for Pettine but lost at DE for Schwartz.

Rodak did an article a year ago about how the Bills defensive personnel didn't fit Schwartz's scheme and how Jerry Hughes would be too small to play end in a 4-3. He knows squat about football systems.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This^^

These guys could be a force together as they are two of the greatest d-minded coaches in football. I know Schwartz did not set the world on fire as a HC but with the talent on the D side of the ball in Blo who is to say that there may not even be another step forward in 2015?

With this talent, this could be one of the greatest defenses ever!

If Rex is smart, he keeps Schwartz and let him run the D and just provides help when Schwartz wants it. His failing in NY was that he spent too much time as the defensive coordinator and not enough time as the Head Coach. If we bring in a strong coordinator like Roman/Trestman than I like the hire. Rex is a player's coach and with strong coordinators on both sides of the ball with his focus on being the head coach than I think this could be a good hire.

If the D performs in the top 5 again than you can bet Schwartz gets looks at coaching vacancies next year and then Ryan can bring in Thurman.

Bingo good post

If Rex is smart, he keeps Schwartz and let him run the D and just provides help when Schwartz wants it. His failing in NY was that he spent too much time as the defensive coordinator and not enough time as the Head Coach. If we bring in a strong coordinator like Roman/Trestman than I like the hire. Rex is a player's coach and with strong coordinators on both sides of the ball with his focus on being the head coach than I think this could be a good hire.

If the D performs in the top 5 again than you can bet Schwartz gets looks at coaching vacancies next year and then Ryan can bring in Thurman.

This is the ideal scenario, especially since the Bills don't have the personnel in the front 7 to run Ryan's D. The one thing that I could see Ryan influence is the blitz packages.

wow. if the Bills keep Schwartz, they'll have 2 of the best defensive minds in the NFL. Ridiculous.

Sure...two with nearly polar opposite philosophies and schemes.

Unfortunately I don't see us retaining Schwartz now, unless Rex somehow is willing to go hands off on the defense.

With lesser talent Rex held Pats to 17-16 loss and a 27-25 loss while Schwartz with the highest salaried defense in the NFL gave up 37 points to Brady with no punts - why does Rex need schwartz??

Because the Bills don't have the players to run his 3-4 D.

Because the Bills don't have the players to run his 3-4 D.

We ran a variation of it a year ago- and well

Sure...two with nearly polar opposite philosophies and schemes.

Unfortunately I don't see us retaining Schwartz now, unless Rex somehow is willing to go hands off on the defense.

Given his back and forth taking play calling from pettine.... Having a totally different scheme could be a blessing or curse

We ran a variation of it a year ago- and well

Given his back and forth taking play calling from pettine.... Having a totally different scheme could be a blessing or curse

Yes, but they couldn't stop the run. They don't have the anchor in the middle. Dareus is not that guy either. The Schwartz D will be even better next year; they'd take a step back in Ryan's D. IMHO