Did Polian bury Marrone?

Much has been made of the story that Marrone bashed the Bills to Polian which made Bill decline to come here.

However, having listened to Polian on Sirius all season, and reading his explanation for not coming here another thought came to mind.

Polian loves the Bills, just didn't want to do the heavy lifting now required. And he was disgusted with Marrone for quitting in them AND then insulting people whom Polian has a lot of respect for.

Accept the premise that Marrone bashed the Bills in speaking w Polian.

Who knew that other than the two men? Nobody, until Polian spoke about it. Either he or Marrone was the source of that story.

Who did it hurt? Marrone. Not Polian. Not the Bills. It just made Marrone look petty. After all, he quit!

I think St. Doug just realized how much truth there is in the idea if the Bills family.

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my take.............

The Bills are now going with EJ in 2015 and Bill Polian wasn't happy wasting 3 or 4 games then missing the playoffs again...........period

The rest is nothing more then BS.

--

Edited by HOUSE

Much has been made of the story that Marrone bashed the Bills to Polian which made Bill decline to come here.

However, having listened to Polian on Sirius all season, and reading his explanation for not coming here another thought came to mind.

Polian loves the Bills, just didn't want to do the heavy lifting now required. And he was disgusted with Marrone for quitting in them AND then insulting people whom Polian has a lot of respect for.

Accept the premise that Marrone bashed the Bills in speaking w Polian.

Who knew that other than the two men? Nobody, until Polian spoke about it. Either he or Marrone was the source of that story.

Who did it hurt? Marrone. Not Polian. Not the Bills. It just made Marrone look petty. After all, he quit!

I think St. Doug just realized how much truth there is in the idea if the Bills family.

Interesting observation. I saw Polian walking out of a Buffalo tennis club right after getting fired. i shook his hand and thanked him for all he did for the team, the fans, the city. the guy spent twenty minutes thanking me and explaining how much it meant that the fans had his back in his crap moment. i will never forget that. he is may be old and over the hill but the bIlls well they are still his team. Edited by Best Player Available

Your premise makes no sense. The report was that the Bills Old Guard was bashing Polian during the season, and that is what Marrone told Polian. Marrone wasn't bashing Bills management Polian had respect for, they hated Polian. Marrone was ratting them out.

False. His premise is based on the fact that multiple reporters wrote about a conversation had between Polian and Marrone. The OP states that as there were only 2 parties to that conversation and it would not behoove Marrone to reveal such a conversation took place, then Polian, having decided the "heavy lift" was a but too much for him, leaked the Marrone conversation because he was taken aback by how petty Marrone acted.

False. His premise is based on the fact that multiple reporters wrote about a conversation had between Polian and Marrone. The OP states that as there were only 2 parties to that conversation and it would not behoove Marrone to reveal such a conversation took place, then Polian, having decided the "heavy lift" was a but too much for him, leaked the Marrone conversation because he was taken aback by how petty Marrone acted.

Then where did the original report come from that Marrone was bashing Bills employees for bashing Polian? Just made up out of thin air? The report about bashing the Bills, from everything I saw, was Marrone saying that during the year, he heard Old Guard Bills employees bashing Polian. There was no other report that I know of saying he was just bashing the Bills.

Then where did the original report come from that Marrone was bashing Bills employees for bashing Polian? Just made up out of thin air? The report about bashing the Bills, from everything I saw, was Marrone saying that during the year, he heard Old Guard Bills employees bashing Polian. There was no other report that I know of saying he was just bashing the Bills.

http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gallery/buffalo_bills_coach_doug_marrone_1/index.html

That link didn't work for me. I'm not sure what you are saying. I was referring to Tim Graham's report that what Marrone told Polian was "The Power Jockeys" were badmouthing Polian during the season. Most people assumed that to mean Overdorf, Littman, maybe Bertchold and perhaps Brandon.

Doug "abandon ship with a mere shallow text" Marrone made his own bed.

You won't find him in the same sentence as class act.

Nor in the same sentence with Semper Fi; stand up guy; loyal; faithful; true to the very end; etc., etc...

There are smart, innovative coaches like Chip Kelly, who could elevate EJ's game in his sleep, and then there's Doug "the 3 and out shuffle" Marrone.

I will add a bit more:

So the Jets obviously wanted him and knew he could opt out. They leak word to his agent.

Now what do the Jets EXPECT from Marrone? Something like Harbaugh. Call a quick presser on the 31st or 1st, make a short statement announcing that you are opting out due to differences, but you want to thank the organization, fans, players, etc. Maybe answer a question or two and give the standard non-answers. Then you walk out of town with your head held high.

At the VERY least release a statement to the same effect. In short, be a man with class. Act like a professional.

Instead, Marrone did EVERYTHING wrong. He released no "thank you" to the organization and fans (who cares if it's genuine, you just do it). He then left it to the PR man to text his players. THEN he went about bashing the organization and generally acting petty and vindictive.

So if you're the Jets you are probably shocked. You sort of have to go through with the interview but now you have some tough questions, starting with "WTF?!"

Marrone of course handles those questions in typical Marrone fashion: dismissive of the need to be diplomatic, blunt, and probably does more bashing of the Bills in the interview.

So that's how it goes "worse than bad" very quickly. Marrone probably felt like he was opting out to a done deal with the Jets and carried himself as such the entire time (which explains his total lack of diplomacy on the way out the door here).

His griping to Polian was a VERY bad move. Polian had some of the greatest moments of his personal and professional life here. I think any praise Polian gave Marrone during the season was laregly due to his happiness to see his beloved Bills winning and in the hunt again.

Marrone went against the family. He ought to watch more movies to know that is a bad idea (or just take a page from Harbuagh's book). Even Harbaugh (who was barely on speaking terms with the Sf front office) exited with class and dignity.

I am pretty sure the Jets expected the same and were shocked with how Marrone handled his exit. Of course they tampered and meant to "steal him" but they also expected him to say and do all the right things.

Marrone really, really screwed up his career.

I will add a bit more:

So the Jets obviously wanted him and knew he could opt out. They leak word to his agent.

Now what do the Jets EXPECT from Marrone? Something like Harbaugh. Call a quick presser on the 31st or 1st, make a short statement announcing that you are opting out due to differences, but you want to thank the organization, fans, players, etc. Maybe answer a question or two and give the standard non-answers. Then you walk out of town with your head held high.

At the VERY least release a statement to the same effect. In short, be a man with class. Act like a professional.

Instead, Marrone did EVERYTHING wrong. He released no "thank you" to the organization and fans (who cares if it's genuine, you just do it). He then left it to the PR man to text his players. THEN he went about bashing the organization and generally acting petty and vindictive.

So if you're the Jets you are probably shocked. You sort of have to go through with the interview but now you have some tough questions, starting with "WTF?!"

Marrone of course handles those questions in typical Marrone fashion: dismissive of the need to be diplomatic, blunt, and probably does more bashing of the Bills in the interview.

So that's how it goes "worse than bad" very quickly. Marrone probably felt like he was opting out to a done deal with the Jets and carried himself as such the entire time (which explains his total lack of diplomacy on the way out the door here).

His griping to Polian was a VERY bad move. Polian had some of the greatest moments of his personal and professional life here. I think any praise Polian gave Marrone during the season was laregly due to his happiness to see his beloved Bills winning and in the hunt again.

Marrone went against the family. He ought to watch more movies to know that is a bad idea (or just take a page from Harbuagh's book). Even Harbaugh (who was barely on speaking terms with the Sf front office) exited with class and dignity.

I am pretty sure the Jets expected the same and were shocked with how Marrone handled his exit. Of course they tampered and meant to "steal him" but they also expected him to say and do all the right things.

There is no way to tell for sure whether this is correct, but this entire scenario is very plausible.

There is no way to tell for sure whether this is correct, but this entire scenario is very plausible.

It makes the most sense.

NO WAY Marrone willingly leaves this job (and an extra 4 million) on the table if he doesn't have some pretty good assurances that there will be a spot for him.

So what changed?

He acted totally unprofessional and bush league.

This is my take.............

The Bills are now going with EJ in 2015 and Bill Polian wasn't happy wasting 3 or 4 games then missing the playoffs again...........period

The rest is nothing more then BS.

Or Polian is 72 years old and is getting paid a lot to not work much.

--

It makes the most sense.

NO WAY Marrone willingly leaves this job (and an extra 4 million) on the table if he doesn't have some pretty good assurances that there will be a spot for him.

So what changed?

He acted totally unprofessional and bush league.

Correct and he is a boob no doubt. It is still possible that the Jets hire him though. That would follow logically as they are dysfunctional too.

I will add a bit more:

I agree that the timing of everything is fishy as to Marrone's intentions. The media leak that he had the opt out came the day after the season ended. This was to plant the seed that he could leave if there was an opportunity, which was why his agent had Schefter report there would be interest in him if he opted out. He tried to use the media to put pressure on the Pegulas for when he planned to ask for his extension and control over the 53. It didn't work. In the meantime the Jets are likely calling his agent, probably impressed with he rolled them 3 straight times.

What the Jets didn't anticipate is the PR nightmare that would go along with hiring him, revealed after he opted out. They just had a terrible season and fired a pretty well liked coach and now they were faced with mounting negativity already about a hire that is supposed to incite confidence and positivity - not a good sign. Plus they were trying to also a hire a GM and had 2 candidates decline to interview - could they have been less than thrilled about working with Marrone after hearing of his power play in Bflo.;

Interesting observation. I saw Polian walking out of a Buffalo tennis club right after getting fired. i shook his hand and thanked him for all he did for the team, the fans, the city. the guy spent twenty minutes thanking me and explaining how much it meant that the fans had his back in his crap moment. i will never forget that. he is may be old and over the hill but the bIlls well they are still his team.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Douchetool made his own bed on this one. He rubbed too many people the wrong way without the resume to get away with it.

Belicheck can be a dick. Parcells too. They have a few rings to back it up. Ole douchetool has one winning record and a big "quitter" on his forehead.

Really have to question a mans integrity when he quits a high profile job then bad mouths his bosses. I would touch him with 29 and half foot pole

Douchetool made his own bed on this one. He rubbed too many people the wrong way without the resume to get away with it.

Belicheck can be a dick. Parcells too. They have a few rings to back it up. Ole douchetool has one winning record and a big "quitter" on his forehead.

Really have to question a mans integrity when he quits a high profile job then bad mouths his bosses. I would touch him with 29 and half foot pole

Exactly.

NFL coaches do not quit. It almost never happens.

If you are fired people understand. Landry got fired. Belichick got fired. Coughlin got fired. It's not really a mark against you (see Rex Ryan being a top prize, along with Shanahan)

But quitting doesn't compute with these guys. Most NFL coaches would drop dead working before they let go of the job they worked their entire lives to get.

Under certain circumstances (Harbaugh for example) it is understood. You and the GM butted heads everyday so you find a way that everyone looks good and there is no "bad guy."

But Marrone seemingly wanted to portray himself as the victim and the Bills as the "bad guy."

BIG TIME no-no in the good ole boys club. If they fire you, fine. But you QUIT?

1) Marrone did us and the Pegulas a favor by leaving.

2) He essentially got a $4 million severance and acted classless on the way out in every respect. For $4 million he should have been at least a little humble and contrite but he chose to be bombastic and obnoxious. No matter how the Polian thing went down -- other owners took note...

If Woody doesn't hire him do you think an old guard ownership like the McCaskey family will ----