Is it strange/unusual that no coaches have been hired yet?

It seems like the NFL coach derby is stuck in quicksand this year, at least to me.

Not specifically the Bills situation, but I find it odd that of all the openings none have been filled yet, and more than that, none have been "all but signed sealed and delivered" yet either.

Almost two weeks in every one seems completely wide open.

Doesn't this seem odd? It could mean that a lot of playoff coordinators are up for these jobs. It also means IMO that there is no "hot shot, must have" name out there that teams are hotly competing for, thus they can wait.

Thoughts?

No it's not. as discussed in numerous threads I have reiterated that a lot of the top candidates are still involved in the playoffs.

Once the SB is over then things will move at lightning speed.

I really don't see more than 1/4 of the hiring done before the SB

I believe the writing's on the wall for both Shanahans to end up in Buffalo. Kyle's interview today went from a mandatory head coaching meeting to a coach OR coordinator one. If he's hired for either one of the roles, Buffalo will choose from 3 sets of options.

1. Mike as head coach and Kyle as OC (like they were in DC)

2. Kyle as head coach, with a new OC, and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

3. A new HC that's NOT a Shanahan, with Kyle as OC and Mike as President/Director of Football Operations

And.... The person who I believe is most likely to fill in the blanks in lines 2 and 3 is.... Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, who could leave Baltimore (like Kyle left Cleveland), as soon as the season ends for his current team.

The connection between all 3 is obvious and there's a lot to like about Kubiak, who turned Baltimore's offense into a juggernaut in 2014.

Gary was Mike's OC in Denver, when the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997 and '98.

And Kyle was Gary's OC in Houston before becoming his Dad's in Washington.

Personally, I like the Shanny plan, but would prefer Mike or Koobs as the Bills new HC. I just don't think Kyle's ready yet to be "the guy".

One of the WGR morning guys brought up a point this AM that in a backwards way has merit. If we wait it out and other teams start to fill their slots, we may have an opportunity- that we wouldn't otherwise have because we're not the most desirable slot- to land one of the Seattle guys or perhaps Gase. Basically, we'd be the last job left. Funny, but waiting could work if we really want these guys and they don't have us at the top of their list, which they likely don't.

One of the WGR morning guys brought up a point this AM that in a backwards way has merit. If we wait it out and other teams start to fill their slots, we may have an opportunity- that we wouldn't otherwise have because we're not the most desirable slot- to land one of the Seattle guys or perhaps Gase. Basically, we'd be the last job left. Funny, but waiting could work if we really want these guys and they don't have us at the top of their list, which they likely don't.

Sure, that could happen. The other part about waiting it out is that coordinators ascending to head coach usually bring most of their staff with them from their previous team. If Buffalo likes a guy like Gase or Bevell, and that guy reaches the Superbowl, it stands to reason that he'd bring--in the very least--his new OC and OL coach from his existing team. The relative lateness will also more than likely encourage him to keep the defensive staff intact, which I view as a good thing.

The X-factor here is money. T. Pegs ain't Ralph, which may give us a chance at guys we couldn't even realistically approach in the past. Wherever we land will be telling about how much people think of our organization and if money makes a difference. No matter what, they are going to play up the, "we had an exhaustive search and this was a our first choice candidate" angle.

NFL teams can block lateral moves, but cannot block promotions. They just have the ability to say no, like the Bills and 49ers did when Washington requested permission to interview Jim Schwartz and Vic Fangio for the Skins' defensive coordinator opening.

Even before Kyle Shanahan got freed up with this morning's firing in Cleveland, the Pegula's asked for and were granted permission to talk to him about their head coaching position. I'm sure if he was still with the Browns, Buffalo could have offered him the alternative option of an OC job during the interview... But if, by rule, they couldn't, the Bills would have had to ask Cleveland a second time for permission to interview Kyle as an offensive coordinator. The Browns could have actually denied that request, but with the friction that had developed between their staff and Kyle, it was highly doubtful they would have.

"An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach - who is in the same role and under an existing contract with another team - without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere. But the current team is not required to give permission."

In other words, teams can't stand in the way of an assistant's chances at a head-coaching job (even if under contract). But they CAN keep an assistant from leaving for another assistant job, if they CHOOSE to.

Edited by dcjoev

I think two years ago there was a run on coaches, which led to a race to hire. This year, no one has made that first move. I think once you see one hire, you may see a flurry of activity.

I am surprised that Rex to Atlanta is not a done deal yet. Seems like a no-brainier for both sides.

Plus there is no hot shot like Chip Kelly in the mix.

Here is a preview

Head Coach- Mike Shanahan

OC- Kyle Shanahan

DC Jim Schwartz

Quarterback Coach-Dowell Loggains

Bills starting QB- Brian Hoyer/ EJ Manuel

Edited by HOUSE

It's very odd. My dad and I were talking about it yesterday.

I concur. I understand why some might see Buffalo 'taking their time' and trying to avoid the dreaded 'rush to judgement.' Not everyone is entering this hiring season with the same baggage, however.

It's very surprising to me that not one of the teams has 'their' guy available and interviewed yet. It seems at least one team would be moving ahead with the strike first and get 'everything' we want now approach.