Schwartz and Pepper mentioned as Giants DC Candidates

BearNorth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that next year Schwartz is the top paid DC in the league with the Bills. That will start to trickle down to the position coaches as well. It will be more lucrative to coach in Buffalo than in other places I suspect.

Isn't that a beautiful turn of events! It will be nice if we don't have to scrape the bottom of the discounted unwanted coach barrel .

The Bills would likely release Pepper Johnson if the Giants want to hire him as DC. Teams generally grant their staff release for promotions since eventual promotion is what motivates most coaches to put in the hours they put in and presumably a guy blocked from a step-up would be LR flu on your team next year.

The Bills have already denied one team that asked to interview Schwartz for a lateral DC position and are likely to deny other requests unless someone backs up a truck holding enough goodies in the form of players or picks. Schwartz is currently under consideration for HC on the Bills, and is unlikely to ask to be released for a lateral move (thus potentially lowering his stock) until and unless a HC is hired whom he has reason to believe he really couldn't work with.

This is the moral equivalent of pieces suggesting the Bills should get QB Mightbedaguy, who is currently under an entirely reasonable contract with Team NogreatwealthoQB, so that he can "compete" with EJ. Team NogreatwealthoQB is unlikely to trade QB Mightbedaguy unless the Bills lay out a big package of trade goods on a blanket in front of them; the Bills are unlikely to put that package together unless they feel reasonably certain QB Mightbedaguy is "the Truth" for the next 5 years, not just an EJ competitor.

Edited by Hopeful

Look at the Lions team he had top 10 QB the best WR in the league and a top 1 or 2 D-LINE and still did not make the play

offs.They made it this year after he is fired.

Which means there was good and there was bad, as I was saying. Are you seriously going to say that getting the Lions to the playoffs after being 0-16 in three years meant absolutely nothing, and that wasn't good coaching, but all of the bad years before and after were bad coaching? He did both good and bad. He deserved to be fired when he did after five years. He wasn't totally bad.

There were a lot of reasons why he didn't do well in Detroit overall. But he did both good and bad.

Look at the Lions team he had top 10 QB the best WR in the league and a top 1 or 2 D-LINE and still did not make the play

offs.They made it this year after he is fired.

This year they also added an actual threat across from Calvin Johnson, had improved play from young players on the defense like Darius Slay and Ziggy Ansah and added an actual good safety next to Glover Quin. Schwartz would have taken the same roster to the playoffs just like Caldwell did.

IIRC they also had some injury issues last season especially at the WR position which effectively neutered the offense for a good portion of the season

Edited by JM57

Which means there was good and there was bad, as I was saying. Are you seriously going to say that getting the Lions to the playoffs after being 0-16 in three years meant absolutely nothing, and that wasn't good coaching, but all of the bad years before and after were bad coaching? He did both good and bad. He deserved to be fired when he did after five years. He wasn't totally bad.

There were a lot of reasons why he didn't do well in Detroit overall. But he did both good and bad.

Correct. But this is TSW... we have no room for shades of grey.

Schwartz is perfect for them. That was my first thought when I saw fewell was let go. Could also see them groom him as coughlins replacement.

How about we work a deal: we let Schwartz talk to them, and if he gets hired we'll swap Schwartz and Watkins for Beckham.

With our talent we will have a good D with pretty much anyone as DC. Heck if we want to stay with 4-3 let's just rehire fewell.

Schwartz is perfect for them. That was my first thought when I saw fewell was let go. Could also see them groom him as coughlins replacement.

How about we work a deal: we let Schwartz talk to them, and if he gets hired we'll swap Schwartz and Watkins for Beckham.

With our talent we will have a good D with pretty much anyone as DC. Heck if we want to stay with 4-3 let's just rehire fewell.

Schwartz and Watkins for Beckham and Fewell?

No thanks.

Schwartz and Watkins for Beckham and Fewell?

No thanks.

Fewell super bowl ring

Beckham 300+ more yards and 4 more TDs than Watkins in 4 less games, pro bowl, lock for ORoY

Yeah no way giants would trade that package. That's why I said it as a joke

Edited by JTSP

Fewell super bowl ring

Beckham 300+ more yards and 4 more TDs than Watkins in 4 less games, pro bowl, lock for ORoY

Yeah no way giants would trade that package. That's why I said it as a joke

Giants dumped 1/2 that package and would die to hire Schwartz. Edited by YoloinOhio

Maybe next we get a deal on free agents because they want to come here and WIN! OK... maybe I'm slightly ahead of myself, but a guy can dream!

It is certainly a welcome change. I think that you are going to see this as the biggest difference between RW & TP. The free agents and even HC to a certain extent are what they are. The ability to hire and retain a top end staff is just something that RW didn't put a strong emphasis on. He didn't think that was the best use of resources. I suspect that will change. It is actually a similar issue to what they say has been occurring at the University of Wisconsin which is why they just lost their HC to an inferior program.

Tough spot for the Bills to be in. I guess you basically "have to" let Pepper Johnson go (even though we dont have to).

Im not sure I wouldnt have sent an email to all of the coaches on staff after Marrone left, letting them know that their former HC has put us all in a precarious position, remind them that they are all under contract and we are more than happy to have them as part of the Bills family, and let them know the FO is putting a temporary moratorium on any assistants interviewing for any other position until we get ourselves in order due to this unusual circumstance. And if you dont like it, blame Marrone.

However, that would probably be a bit childish. I dont think blocking Schwartz from interviewing for the Redskins DC will create any issues, but I think blocking Johnson from a DC interview would. I definitely would not be as nice as we were to Pettine/Browns. You cant have teams ransacking your staff every year.