Schwartz and Pepper mentioned as Giants DC Candidates

BearNorth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hope they go the Dick LeBeau route, and Schwartz became the defensive fixture that our coach would join.

Also, at what point do we stop giving credit to multiple DC's for outstanding defense, and credit the players that have been the constant?

Btw,

Nix: Dareus, Mario, Bradham, Aaron W. Searcy, Gilmore

Doug: Hughes, Kiko, Preston, Spikes, Robey, Duke,

Our last two GM's knew defensive players...

Good post!

I was hope they go the Dick LeBeau route, and Schwartz became the defensive fixture that our coach would join.

Also, at what point do we stop giving credit to multiple DC's for outstanding defense, and credit the players that have been the constant?

Btw,

Nix: Dareus, Mario, Bradham, Aaron W. Searcy, Gilmore

Doug: Hughes, Kiko, Preston, Spikes, Robey, Duke,

Our last two GM's knew defensive players...

Dont forget Nix also extended Kyle and McKelvin, and Whaley brought in Spikes and Graham in FA.

This top rated D we have was almost completely home-grown with some minor FA signings (outside of Mario, which was a huge move at the time since no one wanted to sign with Buffalo back then).

I get that we still havent made the playoffs, but Nix doesnt get the credit he deserves for changing the Bills and making them a viable landing spot for FAs. That started with the Merriman signing and grew from there.

Edited by DrDareustein

Dont forget Nix also extended Kyle and McCelvin, and Whaley brought in Spikes and Graham in FA.

This top rated D we have was almost completely home-grown with some minor FA signings (outside of Mario, which was a huge move at the time since no one wanted to sign with Buffalo back then).

I get that we still havent made the playoffs, but Nix doesnt get the credit he deserves for changing the Bills and making them a viable landing spot for FAs. That started with the Merriman signing and grew from there.

never understood the hate nix got or Whaley gets. Merriman didn't want to come here but after a few weeks here he became our biggest recruiter he also received a ton of hate for whatever reason

One thing about all this that just occurred to me...

A benefit of promoting Schwartz to HC would be the opportunity to then promote Pepper Johnson to DC and keep him around.

At that point, all we're looking for is a new Offensive staff, which might be easier than HC and Offensive staff and some Defensive staff.

One thing about all this that just occurred to me...

A benefit of promoting Schwartz to HC would be the opportunity to then promote Pepper Johnson to DC and keep him around.

At that point, all we're looking for is a new Offensive staff, which might be easier than HC and Offensive staff and some Defensive staff.

True...but what if Pepper would rather be the DC with the Giants than with the Bills?

It's a tough situation for the front office to be in right now if they want to be fair to the current staff. If you start denying requests to interview guys it will look really bad if once you hire a new coach he doesn't retain that coach for his staff and now there's less opportunities for that coach to find a job next year. But you also don't want to let go of guys that you might hope to keep If the new coach agrees to keep them around.

It's a tough situation for the front office to be in right now if they want to be fair to the current staff. If you start denying requests to interview guys it will look really bad if once you hire a new coach he doesn't retain that coach for his staff and now there's less opportunities for that coach to find a job next year. But you also don't want to let go of guys that you might hope to keep If the new coach agrees to keep them around.

Agreed, the good news is, it looks like Pepper Johnson is the only one we are at risk of losing. While I really like him, it wont hurt the team that much if he goes. Heck, I think I might be able to coach our DLine.

Agreed, the good news is, it looks like Pepper Johnson is the only one we are at risk of losing. While I really like him, it wont hurt the team that much if he goes. Heck, I think I might be able to coach our DLine.

Maybe Kyle Williams could just be the player/coach