Carucci's update on coaching search

YoloinOhio

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think about the deep fades out of bounds EJ would throw when he was in there -- he was probably coached to do this!

"Look, EJ, if the guy isn't wide open, you throw it where nobody can get it. We don't want a pick."

yes, the opportunity created by Doug not playing Mike Williams. I am pleased with Hogan though.

Yeah I'm a Hogan fan too. Never understood the hate he got. He blows Rogers' career out of the water now.

But when you struggle in the redzone and don't play a proven redzone threat, very questionable. Was Williams' last catch a 80 yard td?

I think Marrone was undermining Whaley all year. He wouldn't play Urbik even though his G selections stunk to high heaven. He wouldn't bring EJ back once the playoffs were lost for no reason. Marrone would screw a player to make Whaley look bad. He thought he was Saint Doug in fact he was a$$hole Doug.

i would be very interested to see what nathaniel hackett would do if left to his own devises. the guy speaks with energy and enthusiasm and his players seem to have a really high opinion of him. and the general opinion of him has been that he has a good understanding of the game and has innovative ideas. the million dollar question is whether or not that was his vision of the offense or coach marrone's. seemingly it was the latter, but who knows.

Well, there's what's said in public and there's what's said behind closed doors, too.

I have no doubt that Hackett had some shackles on this year, for various reasons, but I am still not sure he has the combo of experience and innovation that we're looking for.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Marrone may be one of the worst head coaches the Bills have ever had

CBF

As much as I defended him, I think that you are on to something here. Plus, he proved to be a piece of s*#t.

It is interesting to read this and the other Marrone related threads. Now all of the problems with the Bills ... Manuel sucking, Spiller sucking, the offense in general sucking and so on ... are now suddenly all the fault of Doug Marrone. Like a giant secret was just revealed. Somehow he must be responsible for OJ's legal problems as well I imagine ;)

I know this is a Bills homer board and a lot of fans feel like Marrone just stood them up for the prom and that's where most of the venom is coming from, but it interesting nonetheless :)

As much as I defended him, I think that you are on to something here. Plus, he proved to be a piece of s*#t.

Also, just imagine how our team would look if we had, say.....Wanny as our DC

Schwartz saved the Bills ass this year

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I like this point. EJ is probably never going to be a 70% passer. But why not run the ball and use play action to throw deep? Watkins is a deep threat.

Flacco is not a great QB. But he makes big plays. Why can't we develop EJ in the same mold? Too many good things happen when you throw the ball down thefield. NFL coaches are wimps.

Yes. Use play action from behind center, roll him out at least 5 times/game.

It is interesting to read this and the other Marrone related threads. Now all of the problems with the Bills ... Manuel sucking, Spiller sucking, the offense in general sucking and so on ... are now suddenly all the fault of Doug Marrone. Like a giant secret was just revealed. Somehow he must be responsible for OJ's legal problems as well I imagine ;)

I know this is a Bills homer board and a lot of fans feel like Marrone just stood them up for the prom and that's where most of the venom is coming from, but it interesting nonetheless :)

The premise of your post is interesting. On the other hand, I would not exactly call this a Bills homer board. We have many aspiring Sullys and Buckys on this board (In fact, I am convinced that one or more posters is/are Bucky and/or Sully trying to drive their narrative).

I think about the deep fades out of bounds EJ would throw when he was in there -- he was probably coached to do this!

"Look, EJ, if the guy isn't wide open, you throw it where nobody can get it. We don't want a pick."

The deep fade is my least favorite pass, and yet we threw it all the time. I don't understand the appeal. It's really difficult to place correctly, and requires the WR to beat out skilled CBs, while not getting pushed out of bounds? Seems inefficient.

We have many aspiring Sullys and Buckys on this board (In fact, I am convinced that one or more posters is/are Bucky and/or Sully trying to drive their narrative).

Yeah, TSW is the "go to" source for column fodder, so they're undoubtedly here. More than likely in my Ignore User list, just like in my Snooze reading habits...

The deep fade is my least favorite pass, and yet we threw it all the time. I don't understand the appeal. It's really difficult to place correctly, and requires the WR to beat out skilled CBs, while not getting pushed out of bounds? Seems inefficient.

Yes, further proof that they weren't good enough coaches to utilize high percentage plays based on the personnel on the field.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's less that Marrone is definitely to blame, and more "well ****, I don't know now..."

Basically I can't say if EJ is *definitely* terrible, or if Marrone sucked at developing a young QB with promise. So I go into next season with hope that it's the latter.

come on. you guys have seen Manuel. The guy has almost zero control or touch over his throws. Nobody can coach that. Not to mention he was doing a good job getting receivers hurt.

You may very well be right about Manuel's potential. BUT...

He's completing nearly 60% of his passes despite his lack of experience and problematic OL.

I'm a Purdue grad so I've followed Drew Brees career. I remember people making similar arguments about Brees when he was with the Bolts. Lots of fans and pundits thought Brees just didn't have what it takes to be a franchise QB. Somebody mentioned Alex Smith and we could also throw in Jim Plunkett among others. Some QBs just start badly in the NFL. I'm all in favor of signing a veteran QB and even drafting a QB. But I'm not completely sold that EJ can never be a franchise QB - not yet.

I suspect Whaley's glowing remarks about EJ come with some balance. I doubt if he's saying, "You need to start this guy for the next few years because I'm convinced he will be an outstanding QB." He's probably suggesting there's some potential there but the Bills will also look elsewhere.

So you're saying he missed two games in four years and he's injury prone. Got it, doc.

In 2011 I think they played 13 games (9-4) and he played in 12 btw, so he missed one game and maybe part of another.

I also like how breaking a finger is part of the case that you are injury-prone. Inexplicable as he's been drinking plenty of Malk (with Vitamin R).

I also like how breaking a finger is part of the case that you are injury-prone. Inexplicable as he's been drinking plenty of Malk (with Vitamin R).

It's surely a concern. Most players simply cannot be coached out of "reckless pinky" which has sent hundreds of quarterbacks to the sidelines and ruined many a career.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well this escalated quickly...

NFL @nfl 4m4 minutes ago

Report: @buffalobills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel http://at.nfl.com/QyfCegZ

It doesn't take a rocket scientist I suppose to figure out that next season could well hinge upon Manuel becoming at least average. From the looks of things, the possibility of the Bills picking up even an average QB via draft, trade, or FA seems unlikely. That leaves Manuel as the default.

Contrary to a lot of people who flat wrongly state that Manuel totally sucks and cannot throw a pass, teams need two reliable QBS. It's possible that Manuel is just a backup for his whole career like Todd Collins but teams need backups. Backup QB is an essential position on a team, even if he never plays because your QB was lucky enough to not get hurt over the entire season. I don't know if EJ is ever going to be good enough to be a starter or even good enough to be a solid backup. I think he's close to that now (the backup). But the Bills and Whaley are doing the only reasonable thing. It's a no brainer.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist I suppose to figure out that next season could well hinge upon Manuel becoming at least average. From the looks of things, the possibility of the Bills picking up even an average QB via draft, trade, or FA seems unlikely. That leaves Manuel as the default.

I do disagree about FA...I think there are a couple of "average" = Orton level but with guts not to slide QB out there.

I agree that the Bills best shot at a QB is, if Manuel can be developed. And contrary to what many people feel, it is quite possible to manage a so-so QB to a good season, it just takes matching the scheme to the players and positioning the guy to succeed.