The Two Faces of Doug Marrone

I’m starting to think Doug Marrone is some kind of Janus headed monster suffering from Dissociative Personality Disorder. Because as I read TBD and media reports, I’m sensing there are two distinct Doug Marrones.

Saint Doug. This Doug is a great coach who first earned much-deserved national attention turning around Syracuse’s miserable football program. Saint Doug’s great reputation in the coaching community allowed him to first lure Mike Pettine to Buffalo and then Jim Schwartz. Together they built a top five defense. Doug was less successful on offense because Doug Whaley and the front offense misfired on QB and OL decisions. Nevertheless, Saint Doug led this talent-poor team to its first winning record in a decade. Losing Saint Doug will set the franchise back.

Douche Doug. This Doug is a poor coach who had a winning record this season thanks only to Jim Schwartz and great defensive players the FO has collected for this team. While DD’s not-ready-for-prime-time protégé held the title of Offensive Coordinator, it was Douche Doug’s scheme that failed so miserably at moving the ball offensively. Despite his background as an offensive lineman and OL coach, our offensive line regressed under his piss poor tutelage. Douche Doug’s Neanderthal interpersonal skills have alienated the several members of the FO, team, and media. His game management and motivational skills aren’t at the NFL level and it’s no surprise he has a losing win-loss record as a HC. The Pegulas were wise to let DD go.

Retired GM extraordinaire, Bill Polian, seemed enamored with Saint Doug when he called him a Coach of the Year candidate just a few weeks ago.

Manish Mehta has been providing a pretty interesting picture of Douche Doug as an overrated, abrasive, control-freak in articles for the NY Daily News as well as on Twitter.

I wonder, which is the real Doug Marrone? And I wonder if the players are missing him, or rejoicing at his departure.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've gathered is that a lot of the players like him, but there seems to be a pattern of less than stellar opinions in his wake. Given that he has left his staff in a lurch by them still being under contract...I can't imagine the Bills will release them before they hire a new coach and that could make it difficult for them to find jobs. I don't think they probably are leaning towards it being one of those two faces.

Well done.

I have a lot of the same questions. I tend to believe DD is the more accurate Doug, just based on who it is saying these thing about him and the way he acts with the media. Also, his coaching has never impressed me.

DD is alive and well.

The interesting thing about the Polian and Marrone connection is that Polian seems to like him from afar. I assume they have met at functions. But Polian and Marrone were never working in the same place at the same time so how well do they really know each other? How well does Polian know what kind of guy Marrone was behind closed doors? Maybe Polian is finding out a lot of this stuff for the first time too.

The interesting thing about the Polian and Marrone connection is that Polian seems to like him from afar. I assume they have met at functions. But Polian and Marrone were never working in the same place at the same time so how well do they really know each other? How well does Polian know what kind of guy Marrone was behind closed doors? Maybe Polian is finding out a lot of this stuff for the first time too.

You bring up a good point Kelly. When Polian was advocating COY for Marrone, was some of it because Polian is biased towards Buffalo? I wonder.....

I was thinking this as well. Polian gives Marrone the highest of compliments but Doug is scared away by the idea of working with Bill? But then after Marrone opts out he runs to Polian to tell him about the behind the scenes bad mouthing of Bill at OBD? This whole thing makes no sense.

It pretty much tells me that Marrone wanted the $4 million no matter what kind of smoke screens his agent put out there about bad "environment". It also makes me believe that Bill Polian simply looked at the 9-7 record like most national pundits and concluded Marrone must be doing a helluva coaching job. I'm glad neither of these guys are part of the Bills future.

I was thinking this as well. Polian gives Marrone the highest of compliments but Doug is scared away by the idea of working with Bill? But then after Marrone opts out he runs to Polian to tell him about the behind the scenes bad mouthing of Bill at OBD? This whole thing makes no sense.

It pretty much tells me that Marrone wanted the $4 million no matter what kind of smoke screens his agent put out there about bad "environment". It also makes me believe that Bill Polian simply looked at the 9-7 record like most national pundits and concluded Marrone must be doing a helluva coaching job. I'm glad neither of these guys are part of the Bills future.

Yep. His deserves a few votes for coach of the year comment came after they had just beat the Pack and had done great against Elway and Rodgers in two consecutive weeks. A lot of people were riding high on the Bills and Marrone then.

Until the next week "when they did the most billsy thing they could possibly do."

I’m starting to think Doug Marrone is some kind of Janus headed monster suffering from Dissociative Personality Disorder. Because as I read TBD and media reports, I’m sensing there are two distinct Doug Marrones.

Saint Doug. This Doug is a great coach who first earned much-deserved national attention turning around Syracuse’s miserable football program. Saint Doug’s great reputation in the coaching community allowed him to first lure Mike Pettine to Buffalo and then Jim Schwartz. Together they built a top five defense. Doug was less successful on offense because Doug Whaley and the front offense misfired on QB and OL decisions. Nevertheless, Saint Doug led this talent-poor team to its first winning record in a decade. Losing Saint Doug will set the franchise back.

Douche Doug. This Doug is a poor coach who had a winning record this season thanks only to Jim Schwartz and great defensive players the FO has collected for this team. While DD’s not-ready-for-prime-time protégé held the title of Offensive Coordinator, it was Douche Doug’s scheme that failed so miserably at moving the ball offensively. Despite his background as an offensive lineman and OL coach, our offensive line regressed under his piss poor tutelage. Douche Doug’s Neanderthal interpersonal skills have alienated the several members of the FO, team, and media. His game management and motivational skills aren’t at the NFL level and it’s no surprise he has a losing win-loss record as a HC. The Pegulas were wise to let DD go.

Retired GM extraordinaire, Bill Polian, seemed enamored with Saint Doug when he called him a Coach of the Year candidate just a few weeks ago.

Manish Mehta has been providing a pretty interesting picture of Douche Doug as an overrated, abrasive, control-freak in articles for the NY Daily News as well as on Twitter.

I wonder, which is the real Doug Marrone? And I wonder if the players are missing him, or rejoicing at his departure.

It's easier for a douche to pretend to be a saint than it is for a saint to pretend to be a douche.

SD hired 2 good DC's that improved the defense.

SD probably did raise the expectations here for the better.

DD left his staff hanging when he bailed out on the team. What becomes of those who won't be retained by the new coach?

DD dragged down the offense (especially the O-Line)

DD may have very well flushed Nate Hackett's credibility as an OC down the toilet (I hope he recovers from this). He may not be as bad as we first thought, but will he get a chance to prove it after this?

The people who think very highly of Doug Marrone are not scrubs or stupids.

Saints HC Sean Payton spoke very highly of him, as did many, many others in the Saints Org. Ex Redskins GM Charley Casserly thinks the world of him. Bill Parcells spoke very highly of him, as did Bill Polian.

His players from his days as the Jets O line coach literally love him, as did the RB's at that time. Curtis Martin thinks Marrone was the best line coach he ever played with, as do a lot of his ex line players. Marrone would be out with the players working with the blocking sled long after the rest of the teams practice had ended.

Marrone's problems in Buffalo stem from being handed some very bad players for the O line. The most experienced starting WR on the team this season was Robert Woods in his second year. Plus most of all was his extremely poor choice for his offensive coordinator.

Saints HC Sean Payton spoke very highly of him, as did many, many others in the Saints Org. Ex Redskins GM Charley Casserly thinks the world of him. Bill Parcells spoke very highly of him, as did Bill Polian.

His players from his days as the Jets O line coach literally love him, as did the RB's at that time. Curtis Martin thinks Marrone was the best line coach he ever played with, as do a lot of his ex line players. Marrone would be out with the players working with the blocking sled long after the rest of the teams practice had ended.

Marrone's problems in Buffalo stem from being handed some very bad players for the O line. The most experienced starting WR on the team this season was Robert Woods in his second year. Plus most of all was his extremely poor choice for his offensive coordinator.

Actually, many people have said they noticed a turn in Marrone's demeanor the more power and control he has attained. The person they liked as a lower-man on the totem pole could be a grade-A douchebag once he's gotten some seniority and it's gotten to his head.

You may be right.

But those guys liked him when they knew him 10 years ago, except Payton. A lot can happen to a guy's ego when he first gets the top job, turns a program around (which he did and should get credit for), then gets a HC job in the NFL because of it and then thinks he performed miracles. Polian and Casserly I don't think ever worked with him.

When a guy is an assistant, he is probably a lot nicer than when he is the head coach. It sounds to me like he shows his true colors when he gets control.

His insincerity was been brought into question more than once. This makes him DD in my eyes, I don't go for phonies, you can't trust them. Marrone is a great example of this theory.

Edited by Tipster19

Hondo, the truth is almost certainly a little of both. "St. Doug" does many things well, including recognizing the areas where he lacks expertise (defense) and luring in top-notch coaching talent to get the most out of the top notch player talent that was already here and the key pieces that were added on D. In addition, he has a common flaw in talented people who don't quite make it to the top - hubris - which blinds him to a realistic assessment of his perceived expertise (offense, OL) and leads him to blame others (the FO) rather than considering other options (his players worked well in other schemes....if the personnel he has don't fit his desired scheme, try other schemes). Like many people who are moderately successful at a "B" level, he appears to be both opportunistic (carefully cultivating the good opinion of people who might help him, and treating critical subordinates very well) and a bully - venting supressed anger or frustration at powerless or non-critical targets. Finally, when crossed, he appears to have trouble letting go and moving on - it wasn't enough to dismiss Casullo, evidently he had to back-stab him in the community such that he hasn't worked in football since Doug fired him. It wasn't enough to leave Pegula in the lurch, he had to ring up Polian and bad mouth the Bills on the way out.

I wonder how many of the Saints in the Catholic calendar had a "douche" side? After all, the criteria for canonization is performing miracles...not being a genuinely through and through good guy.