[Please Change Title]Jerry Bergman, ref who blew call in Lions game, s

They were allowing the sort of contact on that DPI all game. Face guarding is not illegal. The refs are guilty of announcing the call too early.

BS. It was more than face guarding. That's what they said to save face and looks like you bought it hook line and sinker. I watched the replay and there was contact as well as defensive holding on the play. When the defender does not play the ball and makes contact with the receiver without turning around it is always PI. They not only called that one, but two defensive holding calls on the subsequent drive that allowed Dallas to score the winning TD. The fix was in.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Bergman's dad Jerry Bergman, made one of the worst calls in the history of the Buffalo Bills. It was so horrific, that Ralph Wilson vowed he'd never officiate another Bills game. Wilson paid a fine for that, but Bergman never did another Bills game.

Here's what happened: The Bills were losing to the Dolphins, I think it was 1975. The were in the midst of a huge comeback, and had cut the lead to 3 or something. Miami had the ball, and Mercury Morris was on a sweep and Tony Greene upended him to the point where he was upside down, about a foot above ground, and the ball bounced loose. The Bills recovered. Bergman not only ruled no fumble (down by contact), but he tossed a 15 yard penalty on Pat Toomay who had apparently elbowed an official as he was trying to recover the fumble. Instead of having the momentum and the ball at about the Miami 25, we were penalized and everybody was so upset, they couldn't focus. Next play Don Nottingham ran up the middle for about 55 yards, and the game was in effect over.

The guy who determined the outcome of the Lions game today is the son of the guy who did that to the Bills. Beauty.

The NFL wanted Dallas to advance. It is worth several hundred million dollars. Nobody gives a crap about Detroit. But everybody in the country either loves the Cowboys, or hates them because they call themselves America's Team, and they have the biggest douchebag owner in the world.

Remember this game, cost us the playoffs.

I just hate watching football when the Bills aren't playing...........I really don't care about the score of any game the rest of the season, come on September 2015.

There was no explanation that Detroit fans could except, the defender had his back turn away from the ball and had made contact with the receiver.The NFL should have this crew in there offices this morning to inform them they will not work another playoff game for the next 5 years.I feel bad for Detroit fans this morning.

I remember the Bergman call, the fumble, the Toomay penalty. It was bad. There are many stories like this from the Miami winless streak of the 70s.

Unfortunately we have had worse since then. The Pats* game, "just give it to them", followed by the unconscious guy that was still in play. Then there is "homerun throwback"… nothing could top that.

the integrity of the sport has been injured or perhaps the curtain temporarily opened. this and the domestic violence stuff are really pretty sad. (the dv "public service" ads the NFL plays seem ridiculous in light of the ray rice events). this is about a bunch of very rich guys getting richer. ethics are not relevant and neither apparently is fair play.

Jerry Bergman's dad Jerry Bergman, made one of the worst calls in the history of the Buffalo Bills. It was so horrific, that Ralph Wilson vowed he'd never officiate another Bills game. Wilson paid a fine for that, but Bergman never did another Bills game.

Here's what happened: The Bills were losing to the Dolphins, I think it was 1975. The were in the midst of a huge comeback, and had cut the lead to 3 or something. Miami had the ball, and Mercury Morris was on a sweep and Tony Greene upended him to the point where he was upside down, about a foot above ground, and the ball bounced loose. The Bills recovered. Bergman not only ruled no fumble (down by contact), but he tossed a 15 yard penalty on Pat Toomay who had apparently elbowed an official as he was trying to recover the fumble. Instead of having the momentum and the ball at about the Miami 25, we were penalized and everybody was so upset, they couldn't focus. Next play Don Nottingham ran up the middle for about 55 yards, and the game was in effect over.

The guy who determined the outcome of the Lions game today is the son of the guy who did that to the Bills. Beauty.

The NFL wanted Dallas to advance. It is worth several hundred million dollars. Nobody gives a crap about Detroit. But everybody in the country either loves the Cowboys, or hates them because they call themselves America's Team, and they have the biggest douchebag owner in the world.

I think that is a bit of a stretch, don't you? People watch NFL football regardless of who is playing especially in the playoffs. This is not MLB. However, that call was absurd yesterday.

To everyone saying that it was not a penalty, do you not see him clearly pulling down Pettigrew's right arm just before the ball gets there? I mean, it's not even close.

And yes, how the hell does Dez Bryant not get called for a penalty on that play for storming out onto the field without his helmet on to argue with the Refs??? That may be the most egregious part of the whole thing. It's doesn't get any more clear cut than that.

Edited by Mark80

Let’s get all the conspiracy theories out of the way: No, I do not believe NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino fixed the game for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones just because Blandino was seen on Jones’s party bus. No, I do not believe NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell ordered the officials to make sure the Cowboys win because the Cowboys bring big TV ratings. No, I do not believe one of the officials is the NFL’s version of Tim Donaghy. No, I do not believe there was any type of conspiracy against the Lions.

What I believe went against the Lions is incompetence. And incompetent officials blow calls every week in the NFL. And the league office lets it happen, week after week after week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/nfl-morning-after-the-nfl-has-a-problem/

the integrity of the sport has been injured or perhaps the curtain temporarily opened. this and the domestic violence stuff are really pretty sad. (the dv "public service" ads the NFL plays seem ridiculous in light of the ray rice events). this is about a bunch of very rich guys getting richer. ethics are not relevant and neither apparently is fair play.

This. And, this morning, we find out that another greedy owner has sucked a loyal fan base dry and will relocate to a city that has proven (with 2 franchises) that it could care less about football.

It nauseated me to no end to see Jerry Jones celebrating undeservedly. GO PACK!

NFL Rules:

Article 2 Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air. Acts that are pass interference include, but are not

limited to:

(a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

© Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of

whether the player committing such act is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior

to the ball arriving.

(g) Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

He was subject to A & E. Pass Interference it was

All about the bass, i mean, the money.

I yelled "pass interference" when it happened, and was glad to see the flag. Started thinking ahead.....how many more yards will they need to get a field goal...should they run down the clock, throw deep....game planning in my head like when I'm watching the Bills. Next thing you know they're in punt formation. WTF?

It was like the call earlier in the year when a flag hit Kyle Williams as he was being pulled down by the Bears....holding. No wait, no holding. No problem.

Bring back the replacements.

Nice you could recall this. Since I cannot call it a great memory. it was about in the middle of their dominance over thr Bills. i will have to pull out "relentless" and look this up.

1. The 1st grab on the jersey that lasted for 4yds(ok, illegal contact).

2. Arm grabbing and continued contact until the ball arrived right after #1.

3. Defender never ever even fakes looking for ball and runs flat over WR (damn near a tackle).

Players should ask NFL for decision on whether it is now legal to pass defend in this manner. (This would instantly turn Gilmore into a superstar).

Exactly. Every time I see the the amount of contact by defenders that is allowed, I immediately think of the textbook pass defense that Gilmore was nailed on - not once - but twice in the span of about 4 weeks. The problem with officiating is lack of consistency. It's got to be confusing to the players. The other penalty that is ridiculous is the "leading with the helmet" calls that occur when a player is making a hit. Unless the defender's body is 100% upright (almost impossible to tackle in that manner), how can you not lead with your helmet? I understand that don't want helmet to helmet hits, but it's fast moving game, and occasionally movement by the ball carrier may result in the two helmets making some contact. Unless it's an obvious projectile-style head butting to a stationary target, the officials need to give some latitude, Meanwhile, douchbag Suh gets a slap on the wrist for obvious attempt to injure a star player. Go figure.

And the automatic 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty ignored when Dez Bryant ran on the field without a helmet?

Yes always contact and ticky-tack calls that are made or ignored, but this was flagrant, the call was made and another official (on the other side of the field) overruled it?

Edited by Billsfan1972

I watched this game until midway through the third quarter. The Cowgirls were getting their butts handed to them. I was shocked when I saw the final score, but I suppose a lot more people will tune into a Cowboys game than a Lions game. These games are all so massaged/rigged it's not even funny.