[Please Change Title]Jerry Bergman, ref who blew call in Lions game, s

bad calls are common. But to say the game is rigged to make 100 million bucks or any amount is ludicrous. because this is a world where people will eventually talk. if there is money involved and the claims could be verifed they will talk.

Spygate is possibly the exception. And the NFL offices themselves were the culprits on a cover up. But believeing the refs will blow a call on purpose ( at the leagues request) although the concept is intriguing I just do not see it happening. it would destroy the league immediately. What is in it for the chump ref to do this? there is simply too much at stake. A multi billion dollar league simply cannot act that foolishly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Bergman call, the fumble, the Toomay penalty. It was bad. There are many stories like this from the Miami winless streak of the 70s.

Unfortunately we have had worse since then. The Pats* game, "just give it to them", followed by the unconscious guy that was still in play. Then there is "homerun throwback"… nothing could top that.

Yes indeed, Bob. We Bills fans are a tortured lot.

Whatever. I just wanted to point out the history of the guy who made the call to pick up the flag was the son of the most demonized ref of the 70's (in my opinion).

Kind of refreshing to see people finally get their collective heads out of their behinds and

admit to what we all know has been going on for years now.

There is no doubt manipulation that goes on, and it isn't even subtle anymore, it is blatant.

1. The 1st grab on the jersey that lasted for 4yds(ok, illegal contact).

2. Arm grabbing and continued contact until the ball arrived right after #1.

3. Defender never ever even fakes looking for ball and runs flat over WR (damn near a tackle).

Players should ask NFL for decision on whether it is now legal to pass defend in this manner. (This would instantly turn Gilmore into a superstar).

You left out the receiver continuously pushing off via the DB's facemask.

As long as I live I will never forget that game. I remember my uncle Frank D'amuro went nuts. It was a horrible call and it had a huge effect on the outcome. In this instance I think his son let a thug wr influence him to change his mind.

Romo's td pass to take the lead....65 tackles the detroit lineman because he was beat to the inside. I hate both teams didnt care who won honestly - but two points the officiating has really gone down hill the last 5-6 years like really fast and secondly the NFL is corupt and it sucks the fun out of watching

I think the receiver was trying to fight his way back to the ball to make the catch, which is not interference. What the defender did was clearly interference. It was also face-guarding. Face-guarding is not a foul, so the ref decided not to have a penalty called, but it was ALSO PI so there was plenty of justification for the original flag.

The TV announcers made a big deal of the fact the crew hadn't worked together before. Why on earth do they do that? Are they just trying to reward individuals who grade out individually as the best? I care a lot more about the TEAM of officials getting the call right.

As it was, Morelli had nothing to base his decision on, as to which other referee's opinion to rely on. So he made a call based on which one he thought probably had the better view of the play. I do not blame Morelli for this -- I actually think he's one of the best refs in the league -- and I do not think the fix is in. I think the second ref just didn't get the call right, and Morelli believed him, and it was so clear watching the game that that play was a turning point, taking the momentum away from the Lions.

You left out the receiver continuously pushing off via the DB's facemask.

Yup -- pretty clear too. Probably should have been offsetting penalties.

https://vine.co/v/OdD5hWMBK2q

"Mutual Combat"? Ok, I can clearly see your point but it is also clear that the defender initiated this battle by the immediate jersey grab and pull, trying to keep the WR from gaining separation. That should have been "Illegal Contact" right there, but hey...It's the playoffs so I can see them maybe letting that part go, but the arm grab and "tackle"...Damn you gotta call something on that, otherwise what were all those penalties on Gilmore for when he was doing a lot less than that? On the other hand, I saw something today on either Sportscenter or NFL network that really made me think. Commentator stated that if if the QB had just put an "arc" on the pass instead of throwing it flat, the defender really has no play on the ball there, he even drew it out on the screen and I was like "Dang, he's right". So therefore the whole damn thing is Stafford's fault lol.

Edited by angryfan62