Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

The 1996 WR class was maybe the best one prior to this year.

Lots of very good ones including Keyshawn Johnson and Eric Moulds and Hall of Famers in Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison.

The best of that group as a rookie...by A LOT...was Terry Glenn.

He was breathtaking to watch. Acrobatic. Great hands. Great speed. Mind boggling numbers for a rookie.

Most gifted of the bunch.

Bad hamstrings though.

And thus.....completely forgotten.

Except maybe for being called "she" by Bill Parcells.

OBJ missed about 6 months of football from spring thru fall with the a bad hamstring.

That is kinda' red-flaggish.

You are right though, IF he can stay healthy he should be the best of the group.

You're forgetting the following from what was a sick WR draft:

Muhsin Muhammed - 860 catches for nearly 11,500 yards

Eddie Kennison - 548 catches; lifetime ypc of 15.2

Amani Toomer - 648 catches for nearly 9500 yards and 14.2 ypc.

Bobby Engram - 650 catches

Joe Horn - 603 catches; 14.5 ypc lifetime

Jermaine Lewis didn't rack up WR stats, but he was one of the great returners of the era.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what that tells me? Maybe Marrone wanted an olinemen first--maybe trade back for Martin or Lewan.

So to compensate Whaley picks 3 linemen later.

What a circus.

To speculate two things like you just did was fine....but, to then suggest the speculation was a circus is really spinning things into propaganda! Marrone was not in charge of the draft and the whe Bills organization seemed to be executing its plan on Sammy for weeks....so Whaley sucks for making it happen? For making it a circus by filling his roster? The circus was having a 7 th rounder start 16 games?

LOL exactly... I still dont understand how as fans its SOOOOO beyond obvious and that to win football games u NEED your best players ON the field. On offense, coming into yr we were very deep at RB and had young and upcoming WR's that could have been dynamic if given SOME oppurtunities. However, we constantly saw Chandler, Gragg and Smith on the field together which means u give the D nothing to worry about down field. The running game could have been a weapon if we used our RB's properly and guys like M. Williams could have been productive and Goodwin should have seen more time on field just to pose a deep threat to give D a guy they know, if a coverage is blown, he could score from anywhere on field.

Our personnel wasnt built to be a "3 TE vanilla O... Bad QB play or not... U need to give your best weapons at least some CHANCES to make plays for you. Especially when u have a D that you know can keep u in games. Most teams dont have that luxury. We did...

Anyways, at least its over and i literally think nearly ANY candidate is better suited to guide this team as long as they have EYES and see who their best players are and USE THEM!!!

RC

+1

After reading the Syracuse article I can see why Marrone was upset. I wouldn't want to trade my 1st pick unless it was for a QB; you can always find other players but QBs are very very difficult to acquire.

No franchise QB, and no 2015 #1 & #4 picks. Then factor in that Marrone wanted different players for the O line last off season, and was denied by the FO. Then his starting QB just walked away for some unknown reason.

I can see why there was a rift between HC & GM, and then both of them answering to the Marketing / finance guy couldn't have been as the smartest option.

It stings so much that Watkins isn't the best WR in the draft that you have to come up with any criticism you can to make one of the best talents in years so that he looks inferior to Watkins. Dude Beckham is great. He has been great from day one and like barring injuries going to be a sure fire first ballot HOFamer. Laugh all you want that he only played 12 games but he did only play 12 games and blew Sammy Watkins out of the water. I know it hurts but Beckham is better than Watkins.

It doesn't matter if OBJ is better than Watkins. Now or at the end of their careers. The Bills and most thought Watkins was a can't miss and he still seems to be that! OBJ, Evans and Benjamin had question marks. So, the Bills and Whaley chose to get a top notch talent for a 9 th and 19 th (what they were estimating to be a mid teen to 20 the overall pick). What if we picked one of the other WRs had 9 and they didn't pan out? Edited by Manther

You're forgetting the following from what was a sick WR draft:

Muhsin Muhammed - 860 catches for nearly 11,500 yards

Eddie Kennison - 548 catches; lifetime ypc of 15.2

Amani Toomer - 648 catches for nearly 9500 yards and 14.2 ypc.

Bobby Engram - 650 catches

Joe Horn - 603 catches; 14.5 ypc lifetime

Jermaine Lewis didn't rack up WR stats, but he was one of the great returners of the era.

Yep it was loaded. And Glenn was clearly the best and most dynamic as a rookie.

For people lamenting giving up picks for Watkins and not getting OBJ......imagine if OBJ had ended up in the AFC East. :lol:

Cuz that's kinda' what it was like to have Glenn, Harrison and Keyshawn in the division all playing well as rookies while Moulds stunk.

Except Moulds was about worthless for two full seasons.

At least Sammy is an excellent player. :thumbsup:

Yep it was loaded. And Glenn was clearly the best and most dynamic as a rookie.

For people lamenting giving up picks for Watkins and not getting OBJ......imagine if OBJ had ended up in the AFC East. :lol:

Cuz that's kinda' what it was like to have Glenn, Harrison and Keyshawn in the division all playing well as rookies while Moulds stunk.

Except Moulds was about worthless for two full seasons.

At least Sammy is an excellent player. :thumbsup:

Dear god Moulds was awful...

No franchise QB, and no 2015 #1 & #4 picks. Then factor in that Marrone wanted different players for the O line last off season, and was denied by the FO. Then his starting QB just walked away for some unknown reason.

I can see why there was a rift between HC & GM, and then both of them answering to the Marketing / finance guy couldn't have been as the smartest option.

Maybe he'll come back if the hire a good coach and OC?

I hat to say it but I agree with Marrone. After being handpicked by Brandon he was probably surprised that Brandon started supporting Whaley and went along with such a dumb trade. I don't like the way Marrone worked with people anyway. If he didn't get his own way he was going to have a fit. I think I don't like anyone in the front office last year. It is an awkward spot the Bills are in but I think we need a whole new cast of characters. Hopefully Pegula is smart enough to find the right ones but I was none too encouraged in the Polian, AJ Smith idea.

I hat to say it but I agree with Marrone. After being handpicked by Brandon he was probably surprised that Brandon started supporting Whaley and went along with such a dumb trade. I don't like the way Marrone worked with people anyway. If he didn't get his own way he was going to have a fit. I think I don't like anyone in the front office last year. It is an awkward spot the Bills are in but I think we need a whole new cast of characters. Hopefully Pegula is smart enough to find the right ones but I was none too encouraged in the Polian, AJ Smith idea.

Revisionist history. Based on EJ's first year, all parties were of the opinion that EJ could develop into a good QB. He had a couple of rough outings, but he showed the ability to win some games on 4th quarter drives. Obviously, you still couldn't be sure. All indications were they wanted to get him some targets that "are open when they're not." They got Mike Williams with that in mind.

Marrone may not have been 100% behind trading up, but he certainly new Whaley wanted to. If he waited until the trade was consummated to show his displeasure, then he's even more of a dick than we think.