Bills deny Redskins request to interview Schwartz for DC

YoloinOhio

Or maybe we hold onto our offensive guys like Hackett once Marrone lands somewhere, for ransom, making Marrone give up a 2nd or 3rd to trade for the group of guys he wants... A 2nd for Hackett and Morris...

Going into the offseason, those who wanted Hackett and Marrone gone, could you imagine both having them gone, PLUS getting a high draft pick for them? Hah not likely but a cool idea.

I hope they keep every last one of them, and extend them another 2 years each, just to turn the screws on Marrone that NOW we will extend our defensive staff, now that he is gone, haha...

But the real point I wanted to get to is, if Marrone gets a HC job somewhere, TECHNICALLY we don't have to let ANY of our assistants go with him to his new job, but in doing so, do we start to look bad, by denying, say, a Pepper Johnson a chance at DC if Marrone offers it to him?

If we get in an offensive-minded HC, than I think Hackett might be a goner anyways, as they will want their own guy in here as the OC, so it's fairly likely Hackett reunites with Marrone at his new job... But will the defensive guys follow, too?

The interesting thing to consider is that a good chunk of this past season's coaching staff had Schwartz's fingerprints all over it by way of his days as the Lions' HC: Defensive assistants, ST, and QB coach among others were all some of his prior coaches. Makes me think he has a good chance at the HC spot for the sake of continuity (not that that's what I'm hoping for). If that happened, it would be interesting to see Schwartz as HC and one of the up and coming OCs in the league (Reich comes to mind) as an assistant HC/OC so as not to make it a straight up lateral move.

If I'm Schwartz, I don't want to go anywhere else to be a DC unless there is a strong dislike of the incoming HC. He's got the players here to get him more HC interviews (eventually if not this year.)

Yup. His best shot at a HC job this season would be much like Pettine's -- walking into a house fire as a third or fourth choice. Next year his odds would be better. And it could actually work in his favor either way. If the team is held back by the offense once again, but the D looks sharp, he can make a case for how he runs a great program on his side. If the team goes further and makes the playoffs, he's worked that particular kind of miracle. Win-win. With so much of the personnel coming back, plus Kiko and any other adjustments made, his position is strong in Buffalo.

A no brainer but still good to know someone actually tried but we're denied. Plus, it jumpstarts the idea that the Pegulas will up Schwartz's pay, which I guarantee they will do.

Don't you think the head coach is going to have some say about keeping Schwartz or are you guaranteeing you think the Pegula's are saying he's our DC so you have to accept that?

Don't you think the head coach is going to have some say about keeping Schwartz or are you guaranteeing you think the Pegula's are saying he's our DC so you have to accept that?

It depends. If it's a defensive minded coach, like Quinn, then the Pegulas are going to ask him what are his plans for the D as well as the OC. This would likely mean that Schwartz is out. Why pay a guy 4m to be a puppet for another guy's system, not to mention that Schwartz is not going to want to be here anymore. It would hurt his HC chances down the line.

I'm sure the Pegulas will entertain what each of these guys say. But it's pretty hard to imagine unless they were a defensive guy first that they would want to mess with the Bills defense. The idea that coaches want their own guys in there is only based on the fact they think they can do better. If there is nothing to improve on, why would any HC not want one of the best defenses in the league?

If Pepper Johnson for example is offered a promotion to DC we can't actually deny him permission. Although that could still work in our favour because would Doug be aware that Pepper yanked all his starters against the Bills? :D

Not true - coaches are either head, or assistant. Position to coordinator is not considered a promotion with regards to interview rules -- part of why we were lucky Schwartz was unemployed. Finding a DC that late would've been tough Edited by NoSaint

A no brainer but still good to know someone actually tried but we're denied. Plus, it jumpstarts the idea that the Pegulas will up Schwartz's pay, which I guarantee they will do.

and perhaps even make him assistant HC to eliminate any lateral moves, as they only job above that is HC.

It really is a good feeling to know the Pegula's might not have the greatest football acumen, but they are paying attention and getting some things right.

Edited by FeartheLosing

It depends. If it's a defensive minded coach, like Quinn, then the Pegulas are going to ask him what are his plans for the D as well as the OC. This would likely mean that Schwartz is out. Why pay a guy 4m to be a puppet for another guy's system, not to mention that Schwartz is not going to want to be here anymore. It would hurt his HC chances down the line.

I'm sure the Pegulas will entertain what each of these guys say. But it's pretty hard to imagine unless they were a defensive guy first that they would want to mess with the Bills defense. The idea that coaches want their own guys in there is only based on the fact they think they can do better. If there is nothing to improve on, why would any HC not want one of the best defenses in the league?

Ok so you at least agree that giving Schwartz a raise as you suggest is only after the new head coach agrees to have him as his DC?