Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulls***! I didn't manipulate any stats and I didn't downplay his SB wins. I simply pointed out that they occurred pre-turn of the century, which is true and that he's done next to nothing during the time that the Bills have missed the playoffs. That includes Denver, not just Washington. I also said in another post that I wouldn't stop following the team if they hired him...he's just far from my first choice and I think that the Bills can do far better under the Pegulas than they did under Ralph and that means no to Shanahan. I never said he was horrible, he's just not the coach to lead this team into the 21st century NFL, IMO. Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.

Well, Shanny had some pretty good Broncos teams built around his personnel choices and concepts after Elway retired:

2000 Brian Griese "era" - 11-5 wildcard team

2003-5, the Jake Plummer era: 3 straight playoff appearances, including the AFC Championship game in the last year.

All told, 2 losing seasons (a 6-10 and a 7-9) in 14 years with the Broncos. I'd say it was a remarkably successful run. He may not have scaled the same heights without Elway, and he may turn out to be passed his prime, but while we've tried former coordinators for good teams, we've tried recycled head coaches, and we've tried college coaches, we've not tried a Super Bowl winner before, so there's always that. And throughout that time far from legendary names like Ruben Droughns and Tatum Bell continued to chew up big yards on the ground

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Mike (Mr. Elway made me a big name) Shanahan would be a disastrous pick for HC. What's he done since Elway retired other than get fired? The was a total joke when he had overall control over Redskin decision making and personnel, Plus, his poor judgement may have ruined Griffin's career. There are so many things he did wrong with Griffin (and McNabb before him) that it's a joke. Anyone wants an enumeration I'd be glad to oblige. DON'T FALL FOR THE DENVER RECORD WHILE ELWAY WAS THE QUARTERBACK TERRY. This guy would be very detrimental to the Bills (and just about any other team).

What's he done since Elway retired other than get fired?

Make five playoff appearances to the Bills' zero. I don't really want Shanny, though. He'd need to stay out of the personnel side and keep the defensive staff intact for me to be OK with hiring him. Even then I wouldn't be all that gung-ho about it.

Edited by Heisenberg

While Shanahan is a viable prospect for the open Buffalo Bills head coaching job. He did get the Broncos to 13-3 with Jake Plummer at QB, and 11-5 with Bob Griese at QB. :sick:

Shanny only got two years with Jay Cutler at QB, and the owner got impatient.

If I recall correctly his downfall at the end was hiring schleps as DC's. Cutler in his 2nd year threw for 4471 yards, and that Denver team was 16th in points, #7 in yards on offense. However the defense that season was 30th ,29th.

I wouldn't mind a big name like Shanahan, as he knows talent on the offensive side. The line, the QB's, the RB's, the TE's. Pretty sure he would build a very good offense in no time.

One thing about Shanny that I like..... every place he has gone, he has been successful running the ball. One thing I do not like...he is older and may be slowing down(at 62, not sure about that), but maybe he just had some crap talent in Washington.

The way I see it, we have a world class Defense and very good ST(both are likely to remain for the next 2-4 years depending on defections/injuries etc). We are without a top 10 QB and are extremely unlikely to obtain one within the foreseeable future. What the Bills need is a HC who can produce offensively(and also be willing to leave the D & ST as is).

Shanahan has proven that he can regularly get production from his offenses above their actual abilities.

I think it fair to discount his early days as an NFL OC &/or HC as he had Elway for 11 seasons in Denver and coached a putrid Raiders team as his first HC gig.

For interest sake....

11 years OC/HC with Elway at Denver:

8 top 10 offenses(6 top 5)

8 top 10 passing offenses(2 top 5)

5 top 10 rushing offenses(4 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was his first season(1984) with a 22nd ranked offense.

After Elway however, Shanahan coached 10 more seasons at Denver, using predominantly 3 mediocre QBs(Griese, Plummer & Cutler). All 3 QBs had the best production of their careers under Shanahan.....with all 3 making the probowl.

10 years HC without Elway at Denver:

6 top 10 offenses(with another 11th ranked)(5 top 5)

4 top 10 passing offenses(2 top 5)

8 top 10 rushing offenses(5 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was 2001 with a 22nd ranked offense.

For his 4 seasons as HC in Washington he went through 3 QBs(4 if one includes Cousins)......again producing a probowl performance from(arguably) non-probowl level talent......and again building top a 10 offense.

4 years HC at Skins:

2 top 4 offenses(1 top 5)

1 top 4 passing offenses(0 top 5)

2 top 4 rushing offenses(2 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was 2010 with an 18th ranked offense.

When one looks at what he does offensively it is really quite astounding. In his 14 post-Elway seasons he has gotten 4 questionably talented QBs to the probowl......has had a top 5 offense 6 times.....has had a top 5 rushing offense 7 times.......in 27 years of being an OC/HC his worst offensive season was 22nd ranked in the league, with only 4 seasons ranked outside the top 20!!!!!

Has the game passed him by? Well.....it was only 3 seasons ago(2012) that he produced a top 5 offense with the #1 rushing offense.....and also put his rookie QB into the probowl..........and it was only 2 seasons ago(2013) that he produced a top 10 offense with a top 5 rushing offense.

Perhaps his overall HCing abilities are not fantastic.....but considering that we already have a great Defense and ST unit, I believe the offensive acumen that Shanahan brings to the table would easily see us as a solid playoff team.....and with luck, a SB contender.

Edited by Dibs

The way I see it, we have a world class Defense and very good ST(both are likely to remain for the next 2-4 years depending on defections/injuries etc). We are without a top 10 QB and are extremely unlikely to obtain one within the foreseeable future. What the Bills need is a HC who can produce offensively(and also be willing to leave the D & ST as is).

Shanahan has proven that he can regularly get production from his offenses above their actual abilities.

I think it fair to discount his early days as an NFL OC &/or HC as he had Elway for 11 seasons in Denver and coached a putrid Raiders team as his first HC gig.

For interest sake....

11 years OC/HC with Elway at Denver:

8 top 10 offenses(6 top 5)

8 top 10 passing offenses(2 top 5)

5 top 10 rushing offenses(4 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was his first season(1984) with a 22nd ranked offense.

After Elway however, Shanahan coached 10 more seasons at Denver, using predominantly 3 mediocre QBs(Griese, Plummer & Cutler). All 3 QBs had the best production of their careers under Shanahan.....with all 3 making the probowl.

10 years HC without Elway at Denver:

6 top 10 offenses(with another 11th ranked)(5 top 5)

4 top 10 passing offenses(2 top 5)

8 top 10 rushing offenses(5 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was 2001 with a 22nd ranked offense.

For his 4 seasons as HC in Washington he went through 3 QBs(4 if one includes Cousins)......again producing a probowl performance from(arguably) non-probowl level talent......and again building top a 10 offense.

4 years HC at Skins:

2 top 4 offenses(1 top 5)

1 top 4 passing offenses(0 top 5)

2 top 4 rushing offenses(2 top 5)

Lowest ranked year was 2010 with an 18th ranked offense.

When one looks at what he does offensively it is really quite astounding. In his 14 post-Elway seasons he has gotten 4 questionably talented QBs to the probowl......has had a top 5 offense 6 times.....has had a top 5 rushing offense 7 times.......in 27 years of being an OC/HC his worst offensive season was 22nd ranked in the league, with only 4 seasons ranked outside the top 20!!!!!

Has the game passed him by? Well.....it was only 3 seasons ago(2012) that he produced a top 5 offense with the #1 rushing offense.....and also put his rookie QB into the probowl..........and it was only 2 seasons ago(2013) that he produced a top 10 offense with a top 5 rushing offense.

Perhaps his overall HCing abilities are not fantastic.....but considering that we already have a great Defense and ST unit, I believe the offensive acumen that Shanahan brings to the table would easily see us as a solid playoff team.....and with luck, a SB contender.

Compelling stuff and hard to ignore. Always loved his running schemes; he really has a knack for getting defenses to defend sideline to sideline and wearing them out. I think his gig in DC was dysfunctional from the start. He's worth talking to at least.

GO BILLS!!!

Shanahan turned down the Buffalo job once already, and it can't be very appealing considering the team has no #1 pick and no veteran QB. Still, money talks and BS walks. I also think Shanahan would do wonders for the team very quickly. The one big drawback to other teams is he would want near autonomy on player decisions, and he would probably get that for the offensive side in Buffalo as Whaley has issues on that side of the ball.

If hired by Buffalo there could be a trade made for Jay Cutler away from Chicago which would make things interesting. I don't see the Bills giving up much for Cutler as they are probably dying to get out from under his contract. Like I said earlier in this thread I like Mike Shanahan for the Bills HCing job, and he might be the only one who could actually give Bill Belichick a run for the division.

Also,

"Brandon has been the chief proponent of former Washington head coach Mike Shanahan, sources said, who the team is scheduling an interview with (Brandon has tried to land Shanahan in the past)."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24934972/bills-owner-still-wants-a-football-czar-after-polian-snub

I could be on board for a Shanahan hire. You also have to take in account the choices available... We all can safely say that we would like someone who has more of an offensive approach because we are quite satisfied with the defense in it's current state... there's a bunch of up and coming coordinators, then Shanny, Ryan, and you could throw Schwartz in there too. I sure as hell don't want Rex here. I could see Schwartz getting it, but I kinda want to see him stay as our DC. The new HC reporting directly to the owner might satisfy his power craving and if he could leave the Defense to Schwartz and focus on the offense... a re-establishment of the run game and a pick up of a QB, the Cutler suggestion comes to mind... I think that could definitely give us a good step forward for the next season

Well, he would solve the whole HC vs GM politics, because he would be both. Plus you get his son Kyle, who did a good job with RGIII. You may lose Schwartz, but maybe not. If you lose Schwatz, you get Haslett, who was good in DC until everyone got hurt on defense. Very aggressive DC.

I am in DC, and that team had it going before RGIII tore up the knee, then came back too soon, then their entire O Line fell apart. And having seen a lot of both guys, EJ is probably at least as capable as RGIII. Shanahans would be expensive,but hopefully that is no longer an issue. Go Pegs. You already blew $1B four, whats another 10 mil per year.

Mike (Mr. Elway made me a big name) Shanahan would be a disastrous pick for HC. What's he done since Elway retired other than get fired? The was a total joke when he had overall control over Redskin decision making and personnel, Plus, his poor judgement may have ruined Griffin's career. There are so many things he did wrong with Griffin (and McNabb before him) that it's a joke. Anyone wants an enumeration I'd be glad to oblige. DON'T FALL FOR THE DENVER RECORD WHILE ELWAY WAS THE QUARTERBACK TERRY. This guy would be very detrimental to the Bills (and just about any other team).

He sported a 42 - 22 with Jake Plummer as his QB. Won 9 games with rookie QB Cutler.

With Griffin went to the play offs in his first year in a dysfunctional franchise. Griffin's career was derailed when he was more worried about Subway's commercials, his RGIII logo rights and his comeback countdown after he blew his knee.

I'm not enamored with Shanahan, I think he doesn't have the energy anymore to be HC and should retire but to say the guy didn't do anything without a HOF QB is false to me.

Well, he would solve the whole HC vs GM politics, because he would be both. Plus you get his son Kyle, who did a good job with RGIII. You may lose Schwartz, but maybe not. If you lose Schwatz, you get Haslett, who was good in DC until everyone got hurt on defense. Very aggressive DC.

I am in DC, and that team had it going before RGIII tore up the knee, then came back too soon, then their entire O Line fell apart. And having seen a lot of both guys, EJ is probably at least as capable as RGIII. Shanahans would be expensive,but hopefully that is no longer an issue. Go Pegs. You already blew $1B four, whats another 10 mil per year.

Haslett is a moron. I can't believe people still worship him around here - he's a terrible coach.

He is too big a name for Buffalo. Brandon wants to be the power broker and will not hire a big name. The guys track record is pretty strong, if he wants the job, he would do great here. We could do a lot worse.

Brandon isn't in charge anymore