Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

Shanahan had final say on all football matters with the Redskins. Would he come to Buffalo and be willing to accept less?

Either accept less or GTFO. Shanny's not in any position to be making demands about control over personnel. He's not the hot commodity he was in 2010.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he supposedly interested in Buffalo now? is it because no one else in the league wants him?Google him and you will see he wanted the Michigin gig. that didn't turn out too well.

Cannot debate his record. But complete control ? I don't know about that. Wouldn't Brandon etc. still be a bit miffed the way he played the Bills a couple of years ago? His superbowl wins are 20 years ago the same time the Bills last won a playoff game. he a retread. let him go somewhere else because he is not at the top of anyone's list I am aware of. For good reason too.

I'd actually be ok with Shanahan. Especially if we were able to keep Schwartz around as DC. Shanny always has a solid run game (Morris was a stud with Shanny in Washington) and went to an AFC Championship with Jake Plummer.

His time in Washington is difficult to judge. He didn't want McNabb but Snyder brought him in anyway. He made the playoffs with RG3, who apparently isn't all that good. He clashed with Snyder in the end got fired, just like the last eight or so Washington coaches.

I think he could potentially have some success with EJ. Shanny's offense is a run oriented, play action offense. I think EJ has the skill set to succeed in that type of offense if developed correctly.

My sister just called from Denver.....she's listening to some sports radio hack who said that Shanahan and Cutler are coming to Buffalo. I know that's just a rumor, but I think I could deal with that. If Cutler has any sanity and ability left in him, he could rock the Ralph.

Does Skeletor live in Denver or the Bay Area?

Shannahan was a coach who had a very good run with zone blocking schemes and west coast passing concepts. Washington brought in RGIII and a whole new offensive philosophy. It didn't work obviously, but I think he was a pretty damn good coach for a long time. That said though, I just don't think we have the right offense for his schemes.

Good read on zone blocking and the need for smaller athletic OLmen(which we don't have):

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/25/5928877/alex-gibbs-seahawks-broncos-texans-nfl-zone-blocking

just curious.. if you don't want a future HOF coach, who would only come here to win the Super Bowl, what eactly are you 'hopeful' for?

Great name, BackinDaDay. I'm hopeful for the Future, not the Past, not someone who was great BackinDaDay.

Polian will deservedly be in the HOF for his work with 3 teams - in the past. In the recent past, his work with the Colts was less than stellar, and he gave too much authority to someone whose principal job qualification appeared to be nepotism, his son.

Shanahan will deservedly be in the HOF for his work with the Broncos. After Elway retired, they went what, 7 years without a playoff victory, one year in, 3 years out. So 10 of 11 years no playoffs since the famous B2B SB victories.

Then there's the dual stint as VP Ops and HC with the Redskins since 2010. Nuff said.

When the Steelers went to consecutive Superbowls someone famously said "better take those rings off and put them in the drawer, they won't help you this year"

Let me flip the question around.

Exactly what in the Redskins talent acquisition and track record over the last 4 years gives you confidence in his abilities to pull off both roles and in his choice of coordinators (his son, Kyle)? If we're weirded out by the trade-up for Watkins, does Shanahan get a pass on the RGIII deal?

What, in his record of the last 6-7 years, leads you to believe he could repeat his Denver glory years in St Louis, with no QB?

What, in his age (61) gives you confidence that he would have the fire and dedication and the sheer workday stamina needed to put together a winning program and give this organization continuity?

He was great once, just like Polian was great once. Please, can we quit with these "back to the future" guys?

PS for the guys who are "bomb your first HC gig, never again" Shanahan is a fine example of a guy who bombed his 1st HC gig then later had success, AFTER a stint under a great HC in SF.

Edited by Hopeful

I could be on board with this. Here are the pros:

1. Successful head coach, Redskins stint notwithstanding.

I live in the DC area, as many of us do in here, and it's a pretty widespread believe that nobody would have or will be successful under the guidance of Dan Snyder. He's reviled and takes "meddlesome owner" to a whole new level. Not that I think Shanny's great, but we certainly shouldn't judge him based on his time with the Skins.

Great name, BackinDaDay. I'm hopeful for the Future, not the Past, not someone who was great BackinDaDay.

Polian will deservedly be in the HOF for his work with 3 teams - in the past. In the recent past, his work with the Colts was less than stellar, and he gave too much authority to someone whose principal job qualification appeared to be nepotism, his son.

Shanahan will deservedly be in the HOF for his work with the Broncos. After Elway retired, they went what, 7 years without a playoff victory, one year in, 3 years out. So 10 of 11 years no playoffs since the famous B2B SB victories.

Then there's the dual stint as VP Ops and HC with the Redskins since 2010. Nuff said.

When the Steelers went to consecutive Superbowls someone famously said "better take those rings off and put them in the drawer, they won't help you this year"

Let me flip the question around.

Exactly what in the Redskins talent acquisition and track record over the last 4 years gives you confidence in his abilities to pull off both roles and in his choice of coordinators?

What, in his record since 2000, leads you to believe he could repeat his Denver glory years in St Louis, with no QB?

first off - great comeback! :thumbsup:

as far as why a Shanahan hire excites me.. he only wants to coach a team that he thinks can win the Super Bowl. the fact that he's considering the Bills as such a team, tells me he's been thinking about our roster, our current staff, our available cap space - and thinks he can work with all of the above to achieve a ring.

he wants, what i want. nothing less.

he's not coming back to 'see' if he can win in the NFL - he's done it.

the fact he's tried and failed elsewhere doesn't dissuade me from my belief that he's more qualified then those who've never tried.

first off - great comeback! :thumbsup:

as far as why a Shanahan hire excites me.. he only wants to coach a team that he thinks can win the Super Bowl. the fact that he's considering the Bills as such a team, tells me he's been thinking about our roster, our current staff, our available cap space - and thinks he can work with all of the above to achieve a ring.

he wants, what i want. nothing less.

he's not coming back to 'see' if he can win in the NFL - he's done it.

the fact he's tried and failed elsewhere doesn't dissuade me from my belief that he's more qualified then those who've never tried.

Shanahan is the classic "good news bad news" candidate for obvious reasons. I think he's just way too tightly wound up for my liking. I'd love it as far as an upgrade to Marrone, but I don't think it's in the teams best long term interest.

I'd like them to hire Dan Quinn or another young coach that you can go on a long 10 year ride with. Kind of like how the Steelers and Ravens did it. I think a Mike Shanahan team will always have a tightness to them because their coach looks so tensed up all the time. I'd rather have a "lets go have some fun playing football" atmosphere. I would really like the hire if Shanahan has learned that he needs to have a more relaxed and calmer approach to the game like Coughlin discovered right before the Giants went on to win two Superbowls.

Edited by 1billsfan

you're 1000% correct about what Shanahan and Gibbs accomplished, and the good news is - there are enough Gibbs disciples running around, that they alone, could crush ISIS!

but i don't get you're concern about the chemistry between the two coaches.. is there some bad history there?

I don't know of any history, just speculation that Shanahan might want more control over the D than Schwartz is comfortable with. I agree with you on the Gibbs disciples -- there's around 10 teams in the league running some form of their scheme today.

That said though, I just don't think we have the right offense for his schemes.

The scheme Chan ran for his 3 years here was very similar, and 4 of the 5 starting lineman we have on the roster performed well in it. I have no doubts in my mind that Wood and Glenn would excel in it, and it appears we may have to bring in a new guard or 2 anyways. Players like Henderson, Kujo and Chris Williams would be the unknowns.

Shanahan is the classic "good news bad news" candidate for obvious reasons. I think he's just way too tightly wound up for my liking. I'd love it as far as an upgrade to Marrone, but I don't think it's in the teams best long term interest.

I'd like them to hire Dan Quinn or another young coach that you can go on a long 10 year ride with. Kind of like how the Steelers and Ravens did it. I think a Mike Shanahan team will always have a tightness to them because their coach looks so tensed up all the time. I'd rather have a "lets go have some fun playing football" atmosphere. I would really like the hire if Shanahan has learned that he needs to have a more relaxed and calmer approach to the game like Coughlin discovered right before the Giants went on to win two Superbowls.

i agree to an extent about shanahan's "tightness" and any perceived baggage he may have.. but..i am quite sick of going after the "hot coordinator" du-jour.. last time we had success was wade, im sick of greggo, mularkey, .. i know chan and jauron did not fit that , but with the supposed talent on the team, give me an experienced coach at this point.. gase could be the second coming off?? i dont know chip kelly, but unless anyone spots urban meyer at the airport, ill take shanny..

I hope Shanny is not the answer. I want someone relatively young, progressive thinker, and someone who will mesh well with Whaley. Shanny is someone who is going to want control over things and I can forsee the same power struggle.

Marrone was a Brandon hire. So this time I hope final say comes from Whaley despite the inclusion of Pegula and Brandon in the process.