TBD Thoughts on Coaches Yes! Eh. Or Heck NO!

With Topics Started talking about various individual coaching candidates I was curious where you all stood in general on coaching candidates. So I am asking you all to name a coach for three categories and explaining why.

Dream Coach: the coach you would pick if you could have anyone that is within the realm of possibility.

Eh: The coach you would be OK with. Not excited, but not upset. Kind of a wait and see kind of guy.

HELL NO: Self explanatory, basically the guy you would hate as the option, any coach over this guy is preferable in your mind.

I'll start off.

Dream Coach: Adam Gaze. The Bills Desperately need an Offense. He has shown the ability to have success with QBs who have different levels of skills. I think the D will be good with most D Coordinators, not to discredit Schwartz, but if he leaves I think a decent coordinator will keep this unit performing at a high level due to the talent on that side of the ball. So if we can find an offense we will make the playoffs IMO

Eh: Schwartz, Good D coordinator but he had a rough run in Detroit. Not confident he can develop an offense and the biggest knock against him is what Detroit has done this year. With a similar team Caldwell has taken the Lions to the Playoffs. Maybe Schwartz learns from previous positions and joins the rank of those who get a second chance and become great coaches but I am not sold.

HELL NO: Mike Shanahan. I think his achievements are greatly overrated due to the talent he had on his Superbowl teams. His tenure in DC was bad and he seemed to have really lost it. Idk, I just don't trust him as a coach. It would reek of desperation to me because he would expect a lot of power.

What say you? Flame on.

Dream: Rex Ryan. Would never be dull and he hates NE as much as we do.

Eh: Jim Schwartz- One winning season in Detroit. Great DC. Lousy HC.

Hell No: Adam Gase- Another "young offensive genius". I would be too if Peyton Manning were my QB.

I really don`t know who I want yet. People want Franky ,just because he was a Bill. Same people that think Freddy is a top notch rb. because he plays for the Bills. I think we need someone who has a fire to win and smarts. Frank seems a little soft for me. Even old Marv had a temper. Maybe give it to Schwartz and get a new O.C. This seems like the best fit for me.

Dream Coach: Dabo Swinney: Great offensive mind who played WR and coached on the offensive side of the ball before becoming a HC. Has also built, or made the right hires to build, a really good D. Great personality as well to handle our overwhelming media, and seems to be a guy players buy into. Oh yea, can use guys like Sammy and CJ (if back) effectively and in unique ways.

Eh: Schwartz and Reich both fall here for me. Good minds, specific specialty areas for each, the ability to comprehensively oversee a successful team, yet to be decided.

HELL NO: Hue Jackson...just NO.

Dream Coach: Hue Jackson. I want an offensive mind and Jackson did a good job in his previous Head Coaching opportunity going 8-8 under difficult circumstances in Oakland. He has impressed me with his work as OC in Cincinnati where he has rebalanced their offense by running the ball and I think getting the run game fixed will be vital for whoever comes in here and I liked what he did with a young Quarterback in Baltimore as the QB coach for Flacco's first 2 years where he really simplified the game for him and got his fundamentals tidied up. The other great thing about Jackson is he has coached on both sides of the ball and on special teams in the NFL so he is an all rounder and I think you are getting a true football mind.

Eh: Jim Schwartz. I feel like he is rising up by shortlist because he brings the advantage of continuity. I am worried that maybe he is one of those guys who is best as a Coordinator not a Head Coach and he lost his way in his final two years in Detroit but he did do a good job to take over an 0-16 team and make them a play-off team in 3 years and I feel like he would keep that toughness and resolve that Marrone has brought where we are "in" every game pretty much to the end.

HELL NO: Rex Ryan. This is a guy who wants to be Head Coach but wants nothing to do with the offense. His choice of OCs in New York has been terrible too and it would mean a big system overhaul for the one bit of our team we know is legit - the defense. I think Rex Ryan is a good football coach and his teams always play hard and always play for him - I just think he is a terrible fit for the Bills at this precise moment in time.

Edited by GunnerBill

Dream: Rex Ryan. Would never be dull and he hates NE as much as we do.

Eh: Jim Schwartz- One winning season in Detroit. Great DC. Lousy HC.

Hell No: Adam Gase- Another "young offensive genius". I would be too if Peyton Manning were my QB.

I would also be pretty OK with Rex. Can you imagine what would happen in Rex came here and St. Doug went to the Jets? That would make those games awfully juicy. Rex seems like a bit of a blowhard, but I think he is a good coach. He Is a great Defensive coach and I think is the kind of guy who only lets the Offense play to its talent. He never had much talent on that side of the Ball but the years they had decent talent (Santonio, Keller, Braylen, LT and good Oline) they were very competitive and got to 2 AFC championship teams. When I think about it, can I really imagine those teams going any further than that? I don't think so. With the talent level that is about all you could hope for.

With Topics Started talking about various individual coaching candidates I was curious where you all stood in general on coaching candidates. So I am asking you all to name a coach for three categories and explaining why.

Dream Coach: the coach you would pick if you could have anyone that is within the realm of possibility.

Eh: The coach you would be OK with. Not excited, but not upset. Kind of a wait and see kind of guy.

HELL NO: Self explanatory, basically the guy you would hate as the option, any coach over this guy is preferable in your mind.

I'll start off.

Dream Coach: Adam Gaze. The Bills Desperately need an Offense. He has shown the ability to have success with QBs who have different levels of skills. I think the D will be good with most D Coordinators, not to discredit Schwartz, but if he leaves I think a decent coordinator will keep this unit performing at a high level due to the talent on that side of the ball. So if we can find an offense we will make the playoffs IMO

Eh: Schwartz, Good D coordinator but he had a rough run in Detroit. Not confident he can develop an offense and the biggest knock against him is what Detroit has done this year. With a similar team Caldwell has taken the Lions to the Playoffs. Maybe Schwartz learns from previous positions and joins the rank of those who get a second chance and become great coaches but I am not sold.

HELL NO: Mike Shanahan. I think his achievements are greatly overrated due to the talent he had on his Superbowl teams. His tenure in DC was bad and he seemed to have really lost it. Idk, I just don't trust him as a coach. It would reek of desperation to me because he would expect a lot of power.

What say you? Flame on.

I say: with the new board, I can't get quoting to work correctly!

Dream Coach: call me crazy, Gary Kubiak. He knows how to get to the playoffs with a stable of sub-par QB talents. His offense has always been good. His flaws were: too slow to change DC (and I think he learned from it) and stuck too long with Schaub, refused to believe his fall-off was real and permanent. Someone on the shoutbox claimed he only had 1 winning season with the Texans, that's wrong, he had 3, and only one losing season (first year, with Carr as QB) until the year when Schaub fell apart. This year he quietly improved the Ravens to a top 10 offense (8 on points) from being bottom-scrapers last year. Flacco steadied up as well and went from being a pick-meister last year to quietly having close to a career year this year. He's shown he's willing to give autonomy to an effective DC and focus on what he's good at (offense).

2nd choice: Todd Bowles. I just think he's a good coach, though he's more on defense. Wouldn't be sad about Hue Jackson, either.

Eh: Jim Schwartz. Our D was great and the players love him. Continuity would be good. The question marks: what happened in Detroit?

Frank Reich and Gase. Reich, has little experience even as OC and the SD offense was mediocre even with a good QB. I'm raw on picking a promising-looking guy who hasn't really earned his chops yet. I would like to see him evolve an offense that would really shine before trying to HC. Gase: Peyton Manning is the Chuck Norris of QB. Hard to judge the quality of an OC whose planning for what Manning can deliver.

Hell no: Rex Ryan. Just say no to Sexy Rexy. We don't need him on D and his O has been terrible.

Edited by Hopeful

Dream Coach: Darell Bevell (OC Seattle) - brilliant offensive mind, IMO. Could build an effective offensive scheme with any personnel. Worked with Favre in Minnesota and did wonders with Russell Wilson (scheme wise). Great quarterback teacher.

*honorable mention - Adam Gase, Gus Malzahn

Eh: Jim Schwartz - Continuity, and he could still bring in a creative offensive mind to help out that side of the ball. Has some fire to his personality and the players seems to leave it all on the field for him.

Hell to the No: Rex Tyan - Do I need to elaborate? Scumbag blow-hard.

Dream Coach: Darell Bevell (OC Seattle) - brilliant offensive mind, IMO. Could build an effective offensive scheme with any personnel. Worked with Favre in Minnesota and did wonders with Russell Wilson (scheme wise). Great quarterback teacher.

*honorable mention - Adam Gase, Gus Malzahn

Eh: Jim Schwartz - Continuity, and he could still bring in a creative offensive mind to help out that side of the ball. Has some fire to his personality and the players seems to leave it all on the field for him.

Hell to the No: Rex Tyan - Do I need to elaborate? Scumbag blow-hard.

Darell Bevell, I hadn't thought of him. Good call, if he wants to move on.

Apparently on Rex Ryan - you do need to elaborate for some folks :sick:

Dream Coach: I've gotta go with Kubiak. He's made offenses work with poor QBs and took Flacco from the grey area of long term starter to him being included in conversations of 'Elite'. With Schwartz in place, and an 20th or better offense, this team would be a force.

Eh: Schwartz. I like what he's done with the D and the players seem to really like him. Don't really know what happened in Detroit and how much laid at his feet.

Hell No: Gase. If you trust someone who has Manning at QB then you're asking for trouble. No one heard his name before manning.

Dream - Malzahn - I want to shake thing up on Offense in a BIG way...Would be better if Schwartz stayed on as DC though...

Eh - Schwartz...Gase with Schwartz staying as DC

No - Ryan (While I respect him...why bring in a HC who's strongest suit is the 3-4 when you have a 4-3 that is top 5 in the NFL?)...Reich (I don't think he's ready...nice story...HUGE risk)...

HELL NO Josh McDaniels

HELL NO Squared Josh McDaniels

HELL NO to the 1000 power Josh McDaniels

If the Bills hire that guy I'm Done! After 51 years I'm finally DONE, talk about a train wreak, why is he even on the list after what he did in Denver (I seriously have questions about everything just based on this hack being on our list)

Eh Frank Could live with him if He Hires a really good OC and keeps our d-staff.

Dream nothing from Adam Schefter List is my dream..... But I don't really Know much about Gase, or Bevell,

HELL NO Josh McDaniels

If the Bills hire that guy I'm Done! After 51 years I'm finally DONE, talk about a train wreak, why is he even on the list after what he did in Denver (I seriously have questions about everything just based on this hack being on our list)

Eh Frank Could live with him if He Hires a really good OC and keeps our d-staff.

Dream nothing from Adam Schefter List is my dream..... But I don't really Know much about Gase, or Bevell,

I don't quite get the McDaniels hate. I don't really want him but I don't see it as the end of the world if he was the choice. He ran some productive offenses in Denver with Tebow and Orton and has consistently helped the *Patriots adapt based on their offensive weapons which tells me he is a good offensive mind.

Sure he seemed like an egomaniac in Denver getting rid of Cutler and Marshall but the Cutler trade doesn't look nearly as bad as it once did and perhaps he has learned a thing or two from his train wreck in Denver. I would at least give him a chance.

All this discussion said, my gut tells me Schwartz is the most probable candidate. He is the most likely to heal the wounds of Marrone's "We are a Family"...until i throw a tantrum and flip the bird to the organization on my way out. That is going to hurt the locker room, how can it not? Which is also why I would be ok with Rexy because despite his other flaws he NEVER lost the locker room and I think I would be the kind of coach who could turn that rift into motivation. IMO

Dream- Bevell

Honorable-A.Briles

Eh- Hue Jackson

Hell no- McDaniels, Reich

Pegula didn't learn from the Lafontaine disaster if Reich is hired(assuming he has a say in it), not exactly the same thing I know but Reich could use some more experience and wouldn't be the best choice out there. Don't think he is a top 5 candidate this year. Maybe next.

McDaniels is just ugh no.

Can standing next to Brady make me look good too?

I don't quite get the McDaniels hate. I don't really want him but I don't see it as the end of the world if he was the choice. He ran some productive offenses in Denver with Tebow and Orton and has consistently helped the *Patriots adapt based on their offensive weapons which tells me he is a good offensive mind.

Sure he seemed like an egomaniac in Denver getting rid of Cutler and Marshall but the Cutler trade doesn't look nearly as bad as it once did and perhaps he has learned a thing or two from his train wreck in Denver. I would at least give him a chance.

All this discussion said, my gut tells me Schwartz is the most probable candidate. He is the most likely to heal the wounds of Marrone's "We are a Family"...until i throw a tantrum and flip the bird to the organization on my way out. That is going to hurt the locker room, how can it not? Which is also why I would be ok with Rexy because despite his other flaws he NEVER lost the locker room and I think I would be the kind of coach who could turn that rift into motivation. IMO

Record at Denver, had Cutler, Marshell and were building until he could not get along with the personal there, CAUGHT CHEATING (video taped 49ers walk though, Who does this sound like)

Do the number below look Productive....at all??

DEN 2009 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC West

DEN 2010 3 9 0 .250 4th in AFC West (Fired)

DEN Total 11 17 0 .393

Edited by gordong

I am not sure it is "hate" for McDaniels as much as it is a recognition that he was a monumental failure in two separate positions: HC with Denver and OC with the Rams. He was fired from the only two positions he has had outside of New England and has only had success with Brady...and the NE offense didn't skip a beat while McDaniels was gone...

I am not sure it is "hate" for McDaniels as much as it is a recognition that he was a monumental failure in two separate positions: HC with Denver and OC with the Rams. He was fired from the only two positions he has had outside of New England and has only had success with Brady...and the NE offense didn't skip a beat while McDaniels was gone...

Good point on the Rams. Forgot he was their OC after the Broncos debacle. To be honest one of the things from his tenure in Denver was when he played the hoodie with a clearly inferior team and won. Perhaps that one vivid memory clouds my opinion of him a touch.

Like I said before, he wouldn't be my preference, that said- I don't know if he would be any less of a risk than Schwartz.

Dream Coach: Dabo Swinney: Great offensive mind who played WR and coached on the offensive side of the ball before becoming a HC. Has also built, or made the right hires to build, a really good D. Great personality as well to handle our overwhelming media, and seems to be a guy players buy into. Oh yea, can use guys like Sammy and CJ (if back) effectively and in unique ways.

Dabo is really good at identifying qualified assistants and recruiting. I'm not sure that he, himself, is a offensive mastermind. As a Clemson fan, I respect the hell out of his strengths, but I'm not certain that he'd translate all that well to the NFL.

HELL NO Josh McDaniels

After 51 years, that's what would do it for you? Do you have any idea how many coaches have failed at their first head coaching job and then succeeded elsewhere? Bill Belichick? Marv Levy? I actually like the idea of McDaniels- certainly over Adam Gase.