Head Coach candidate: Rex Ryan

YoloinOhio

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With current personell and re-signing Spikes and Searcy, the defense would look like:

Williams-Williams-Dareus

Bradham-Spikes-Brown-Alonso

Gilmore-McKelvin (Graham)

Williams-Searcy

Would most likely let Hughes walk. Mario may move to OLB position he left Houston because of and we'd need to find a true NT to replace Kyle. Also would need another DE fit or the 3-4 scheme to start. The linebackers look good for Rex but that's a lot of change on a unit that doesn't need it.

With current personell and re-signing Spikes and Searcy, the defense would look like:

Williams-Williams-Dareus

Bradham-Spikes-Brown-Alonso

Gilmore-McKelvin (Graham)

Williams-Searcy

Would most likely let Hughes walk. Mario may move to OLB position he left Houston because of and we'd need to find a true NT to replace Kyle. Also would need another DE fit or the 3-4 scheme to start. The linebackers look good for Rex but that's a lot of change on a unit that doesn't need it.

No way Alonso and bradhan are olb's in his scheme

I would hate Ryan as coach of the Bills. Very bad idea. He has shown no ability to build an offense or offensive staff. It would be a step backward for our defense as well. He is all bluster. I do not get the love for this guy.

No way Alonso and bradhan are olb's in his scheme

I was just using current personnel and said Mario would have to move to an OLB spot. I think Bradham could handle the other. Not sure how Kiko would fit but you'd have to make room for him. My point is there no reason to blow up this defense and that is almost assured with Rex.

Wouldnt it be something if we basically swapped coaches with the Jets ! No problem here with REX. Look no further than the way his team played after their season was done. The players never gave up on him. They played and gave it their all. Even poured gatorade on the SOB !! His players like and respect him. Uncertain if that was the case with Doug.

Give me Rex, and give me a competent OC and we'll be all set. Even if Schwartz splits, you still have a good defensive minded HC and a great roster. We'd be fine in that scenario.

Hell yea, give me some Rex.

I was just using current personnel and said Mario would have to move to an OLB spot. I think Bradham could handle the other. Not sure how Kiko would fit but you'd have to make room for him. My point is there no reason to blow up this defense and that is almost assured with Rex.

I agree. No reason to blow up the defense which would surely happen with Rex. It seems to me that if we are going to go with a HC who had some previous success and is a strong defensive guy, we already have him here in Scwartz. No reason for Ryan to be here.

You guys are over thinking things. Rex's D isnt much different than what we ran this year and last year.

and FWIW Rex has been quoted saying if he doesnt get a HC gig he is going to try ESPN.

Plus Rexy could get us into a position to actually beat the patriots straight up.

Edited by peterpan

I think you are all overplaying the 4-3 to 3-4 thing. Rex is widely regarded as a great D coach regardless of what people think of him as a head coach and you don't get that title without being willing to adapt some. Plus, his disciple Pettine was able to use our current pieces to good effect. I would have no worries handing this D to Rex, it would still be a great D (arguably better because I think he has a better resume as a D coordinator than Schwartz)

The questions with Ryan are his ability to coach the offense and develop talent.

If Rex comes in, there is almost no chance of Schwartz being retained.

Ryan's probably a better DC anyway. He's clearly a better head coach. He's had a fraction of the talent that Schwartz has had in Detroit and is 46-50 contrasted with 29-51 for Schwartz.

Ryan's also 28-20 the last three seasons too with two winning seasons despite having had Sanchez and Geno.

Schwartz has had Stafford which is head and shoulders above what Ryan had. Ryan's defenses have been much better too.

I'm curious why no one has noticed how vastly improved Detroit's defense has been since Schwartz's departure as head coach. Leaps and bounds over there, at least ranking wise.