Does Terry Pegula Have A Clear Strategic Plan?

I'm asking the question, not stating it as a fact or even an opinion. But right now, here is what we know:

Marrone chose to walk away and pocket some cash instead of working for Pegula.

Polian talked to Pegula about serving as a consultant, and said "no thank you" - again, all he was going to do was consult, and something turned him off about the situation.

Pat Lafontaine stormed out of the Sabres' organization because something about the management structure drove him mad.

Right now, there does not appear to have been any coherent plan in place for the beginning of the NFL offseason - Pegula's first as team owner. He's had several months to figure out what he wanted to do, yet it seems like he's in reactive mode to the events unfolding in front of him. Maybe there's a plan and we're not privy to it, I really don't know. But I'm starting to wonder if this guy knows how to run a sports franchise. Something about him seems to be radioactive.

Again, I'm just asking the question. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

marrone was advised by his agent to opt out. he tried to force an extension which failed.

polian was initially asked to consult only, that changed when marrone opted out and became a rebuild..

patty tried to get ted black fired and lost a power struggle.

brandon, nix and whaley are all capable of keeping the ship afloat.

pegula has signaled changes are coming.

patience grasshoper. it's all good.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

marrone was advised by his agent to opt out. he tried to force an extension which failed.

polian was initially asked to consult only, that changed when marrone opted out and became a rebuild..

patty tried to get ted black fired and lost a power struggle.

brandon, nix and whaley are all capable of keeping the ship afloat.

pegula has signaled changes are coming.

patience grasshoper. it's all good.

Oh damn Tuesday, you just got grasshoppered! :lol:

Pegula is simply looking for someone to help him evaluate the team/franchise and make a plan to move forward. He doesn't have the knowledge and hasn't been around the game long enough yet to make those decisions without some help. Marrone tried to force his hand and Pegs wouldn't be pushed around, good for him. I'm not so sure he is looking to get rid of Whaley yet, nor should he.

Hopefully he is too busy doing evaluations as part of the hiring process to have time to talk to the press.

Or perhaps he's enjoying some time off for the New Year and since there is really no story there's nothing to talk about? Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Hopefully he is too busy doing evaluations as part of the hiring process to have time to talk to the press.

Whaley's most likely at the Sugar Bowl, where the Bills are one of five teams with access to the players. He's probably been there all week to observe practices, which makes Marrone's coup attempt even more snarky...

I'm asking the question, not stating it as a fact or even an opinion. But right now, here is what we know:

Marrone chose to walk away and pocket some cash instead of working for Pegula.

Polian talked to Pegula about serving as a consultant, and said "no thank you" - again, all he was going to do was consult, and something turned him off about the situation.

Pat Lafontaine stormed out of the Sabres' organization because something about the management structure drove him mad.

Right now, there does not appear to have been any coherent plan in place for the beginning of the NFL offseason - Pegula's first as team owner. He's had several months to figure out what he wanted to do, yet it seems like he's in reactive mode to the events unfolding in front of him. Maybe there's a plan and we're not privy to it, I really don't know. But I'm starting to wonder if this guy knows how to run a sports franchise. Something about him seems to be radioactive.

Again, I'm just asking the question. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Without listening to each conversation, there's no way to tell.

I have to wonder if there may have been similarities in all 3. If you're Marrone, Polian or LaFontaine, did they all in some way ask/demand too much from the many who pays all the bills? If that happened, then I can see Terry digging in his heels and nicely telling them all to take a hike! No way to know that without hearing both sides, and I don't see that happening.

Whaley's most likely at the Sugar Bowl, where the Bills are one of five teams with access to the players. He's probably been there all week to observe practices, which makes Marrone's coup attempt even more snarky...

To be fair, he only had the three days to choose the opt out. It expired at midnight last night.

To be fair, he only had the three days to choose the opt out. It expired at midnight last night.

Yeah, the timing wasn't good given the bowl game schedules.

I wonder if he truly backed himself into a corner and was left hanging when his powerplay got shot down by Pegs. When Whaley got back in the office after the Sugar Bowl, It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall.

Wowee, what a couple of days.

Incompetent? Highly doubtful based on what has happened so far. Caught by surprise, absolutely

i agree with Sal Maiorana's take - this was all Marrone's insecurity, not Pegula's incompetence.

If the twitterspehere is correct, then both Marrone and Polian look like fools.

Appears that Pegula was ready to stay with status quo for a year and evaluate things. Marrone decides to pull a power play and got his butt handed back to him.

Polian's position is the most non-sensical. Orton was not the future QB, so bringing in another arm was a given and there is still the glaring need for the franchise QB. Orton's retirement does not change the priority for the football czar.

I also don't see what organizational mess that Marrone tipped Polian on? That he doesn't get along with Whaley? Wouldn't Polian's position be over Whaley's?

I agree that the way things worked out will be better for the Bills because they are dealing with a coaching move now that would have been necessary next year.

Incompetent? Highly doubtful based on what has happened so far. Caught by surprise, absolutely

i agree with Sal Maiorana's take - this was all Marrone's insecurity, not Pegula's incompetence.

Appears that Pegula was ready to stay with status quo for a year and evaluate things. Marrone decides to pull a power play and got his butt handed back to him.

Polian's position is the most non-sensical. Orton was not the future QB, so bringing in another arm was a given and there is still the glaring need for the franchise QB. Orton's retirement does not change the priority for the football czar.

I also don't see what organizational mess that Marrone tipped Polian on? That he doesn't get along with Whaley? Wouldn't Polian's position be over Whaley's?

I agree that the way things worked out will be better for the Bills because they are dealing with a coaching move now that would have been necessary next year.

Best take I've seen.

GO BILLS!!!

:thumbsup:

PS I wish people would use historical facts when they talk about the Sabres.

They had the best second half record in the league when Pegula bought the team, and conventional wisdom held that they were only a few players away. They then won the offseason derby, convincing many high profile vets to join the franchise. Unfortunately that backfired and it's after that, that Pegula decided to do a full rebuild.

Only an idiot or Bucky Gleason would call Pegula's reign over Sabres incompetent. There was always a plan, and quick pivots to update the plan.

Incompetent at running a fracking/gas business, No

Incompetent at running a sports franchise, possibly.

It's funny how it's never his fault though. So far he has had 2 employees abruptly leave, another well respected person tell him no thanks to helping

To your last point, using the proper context would improve the credibility of your opinion....

G

Great post. I think that Polian's comments were because he was trying to find a way to get out of the job, make the Bills and himself look blameless, and protect Marrone by not ratting him out.

Fantastic post....+111