Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even speculate right now about wtf will happen...but I will say I am kind of excited about this whole scenario. I thought Marrone did an adequate job, but how they used Sammy tells me we would have been frustrated through 2015.

Yes. This is sort of forcing Pegula's hand to make sweeping changes more quickly than I think he was prepared to otherwise do.

It will effectively accelerate the "rid OBD of that wretched losing stench" project by at least a year or 2.

- UPDATE -

This makes a whole more sense now.

I'm sure there is plenty of truth to Polian simply not wanting to take on a big project. But considering the amount of sources coming out saying Marrone had a big influence in Polian's decision, where there is smoke, there is fire. Tim Graham's new source has shed some light on what Marrone told Polian. Apparently, there were some in the Bills front office who are not a fan of Bill Polian. Perhaps they believed the game has passed him by. Who knows. But when Marrone left, he apparently told Polian of these comments and that played a distinct role in Polian's decision not to come back.
@ByTimGraham Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.
So for those asking, "how would a source find out what Marrone told Polian?". Well, because Polian then told Pegula...
Edited by PostRalphEra

Marrone might have done us another favor. I like Polian but we need to move forward not backward. Whaley is a young GM who understands the modern scouting and analytics. I would much rather the team allow Whaley to hire his own coach and build the team his way for the next 2-3 seasons and see the results.

- UPDATE -

I'm sure there is plenty of truth to Polian simply not wanting to take on a big project. But considering the amount of sources coming out saying Marrone had a big influence in Polian's decision, where there is smoke, there is fire. Tim Graham's new source has shed some light on what Marrone told Polian. Apparently, there were some in the Bills front office who are not a fan of Bill Polian. Perhaps they believed the game has passed him by. Who knows. But when Marrone left, he apparently told Polian of these comments and that played a distinct role in Polian's decision not to come back.
@ByTimGraham Power jockeys in Bills front office spoke ill of Polian in Marrone's presence. Marrone told Polian on way out. Polian told Pegula yesterday.
So for those asking, "how would a source find out what Marrone told Polian?". Well, because Polian then told Pegula...

I'm sure that's part of it, as well as his irascible nature. Both of which are valid concerns. He's been out of the league for 3 years now. Surely he would have been hired by someone else by now.

- UPDATE -

Still makes no sense. The folks that didn't like Polian are cannon fodder types now that Ralph's gone. They would have been shown the door within weeks of his return...

Everything in Polian's statement is logical, unlike the garbage Graham spewed. Are we supposed to believe that a coach 20 years younger than Polian and light years behind in football knowledge would be able to talk Polian out of a job if he wanted it. And further, that he would take Marrone's opinion as the sole voice and not, I don;t know the former Bills he was the GM for who can't get away from OBD? Jesus the media is a joke. Polian was clear that Pegula has been professional and treated him with respect and that his intent was to come in and advise and guide the team for a few years, not rebuild it. He said his age and family considerations made his interest really only for three years max. I tend to believe the actual words of respected people more than the unnamed sources who have the luxury of passing the media lines of sheet to spread rumor and ill-will. Man is the media creeping close to ambulance chasing lawyers and prostitutes as the least respected professions.

Yeah, the conversation went like this "Yeah Mr. Polian this is Coach Marrone." "Oh, you're leaving, thanks for the info, that changes things a great deal."

Benigni is an entrepreneur of character assassination by unnamed sources.

i think you have an agenda

Who are the " power jockies" TG is referring to? Littman and Overdorf? Aren't they are on their way out or did I dream that? I thought it was reported as such.

Edit: Yes it was

@ByTimGraham: Jeff Littman is gone. He stepped away when the sale to the Pegulas was approved. RT @njd529 is littman gone now?

So just Overdorf is still there? Why would Polian care what he has to say? Or are there other guys that are considered "power jockies?"

Who are the " power jockies" TG is referring to? Littman and Overdorf? Aren't they are on their way out or did I dream that? I thought it was reported as such. Edit: Yes it was

@ByTimGraham: Jeff Littman is gone. He stepped away when the sale to the Pegulas was approved. RT @njd529 is littman gone now?

So just Overdorf is still there? Why would Polian care what he has to say? Or are there other guys that are considered "power jockies?"

Only way it makes sense is if it was Whaley or Brandon and Pegula had plans to keep them (or whichever of them said it) even if Polian was brought on. Otherwise I don't get it either.

Highly unlikely that Polian would want anything to do with a chump like Brandon. That's the 'power jockie".

Russ joined the Bills in 1997, four years after Polian left, and didn't get an executive role until 2006. Doubtful that they've crossed paths much except maybe during Marv's short-term return.

But even then, so what, Brandon's a marketing guy and Bill's return would have been golden for spinning up the ticket sales machine. They would have got along fine, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

Russ joined the Bills in 1997, four years after Polian left, and didn't get an executive role until 2006. Doubtful that they've crossed paths much except maybe during Marv's short-term return.

But even then, so what, Brandon's a marketing guy and Bill's return would have been golden for spinning up the ticket sales machine. They would have got along fine, IMO...

Russ has been running the organization for some time, how do you think Polian would feel with Russ helping out on draft day trades?

With Polian returning and running the football side, who has the most power to lose?

Russ was/is one of Ralph's stooges, along with Littman. I'm sure JL has given him advice re: Polian.

Russ has been running the organization for some time, how do you think Polian would feel with Russ helping out on draft day trades?

With Polian returning and running the football side, who has the most power to lose?

Gotta disagree. Russ stepped in immediately after Marv left, when things were in shambles, but then 'fired himself' from player personnel as soon as Nix returned.

Polian never gave a shiit about the business side of the orgainization and would have no reason to dislike Brandon with the purse strings under Daddy Pegs being wide open...

Whaley would be the one to lose power. He's in charge of the football operation. He never crossed paths with Polian either.

The people in the building that are still there that would have interacted with Polian on a daily basis are Bud Carpenter, Scott Berchtold, Jim Overdorf, and Bill Munson (who has been marginalized). That's pretty much your list.