Greg Roman for OC

BillsFanMike

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 49ers fans have displaced anger over that high priced QB that wants to run more then he should, and can't settle down to be a pocket QB. Granted the offense wasn't all that good this year, and I can only think Kaepernick was more the problem then anything else as he regressed trying to throw from the pocket. With Greg Roman as OC the 49ers ran the ball more then they threw it his entire time in SF, and that's with Alex Smith at QB. . He built a solid ground game with Frank Gore.

It was the curse of Stevie Johnson !!!

Honest question here:

Roman seems to have his core with a power run game, and has had a ton of success (2011-2013) by using a stout O-line, a good run game, and game managing QBs. Kaep is showing his flaws a few years in, and EJ was always seen as a shade under Kaep but...considering that EJ, while a flawed product, has had his entire experience as a pocket QB, and at worst is no worse than say Tannehill at his level of experience, do you think that Roman, given full power to chase the FA's he wants in the offseason and at least with a voice into the draft process, could make this an average (16th-12th in points scored) offense? Because, seriously, that's all the defense really needs.

Honest question here:

Roman seems to have his core with a power run game, and has had a ton of success (2011-2013) by using a stout O-line, a good run game, and game managing QBs. Kaep is showing his flaws a few years in, and EJ was always seen as a shade under Kaep but...considering that EJ, while a flawed product, has had his entire experience as a pocket QB, and at worst is no worse than say Tannehill at his level of experience, do you think that Roman, given full power to chase the FA's he wants in the offseason and at least with a voice into the draft process, could make this an average (16th-12th in points scored) offense? Because, seriously, that's all the defense really needs.

I can visualize EJ being more then good enough to run an offense as a game manager while limiting his pass attempts to around 25 per game. The bigger questions are if Whaley can find some quality talent for the line this off season, and can the new line coach work well enough with the younger players to get them better.

With a solid line that can effectively run block well enough to move the chains like the 49ers, or Ravens do every game. Then I can also see the Bills offense improving to around 15th or better. The Bills also need some better blocking TE's, and to have the WR's become better blockers. Think Hines Ward type blocking. The run game needs everyone on the field to be a good blocker, save the QB.

I can visualize EJ being more then good enough to run an offense as a game manager while limiting his pass attempts to around 25 per game. The bigger questions are if Whaley can find some quality talent for the line this off season, and can the new line coach work well enough with the younger players to get them better.

With a solid line that can effectively run block well enough to move the chains like the 49ers, or Ravens do every game. Then I can also see the Bills offense improving to around 15th or better. The Bills also need some better blocking TE's, and to have the WR's become better blockers. Think Hines Ward type blocking. The run game needs everyone on the field to be a good blocker, save the QB.

Watkins and Woods are already willing (and able) blockers. I'd like to see the Bills go after Julius Thomas as the "stud" free agent (as well as upgrading the interior line positions).

Watkins and Woods are already willing (and able) blockers. I'd like to see the Bills go after Julius Thomas as the "stud" free agent (as well as upgrading the interior line positions).

Honestly, I agree that line play, and getting new TE's is a must. Chris Williams was a Marrone hire band-aid. Chandler surprised me this year with some really clutch play, but the man really does stop within 2 yards of where he catches it.

If the decision is that the Bills cannot get a better immediate starter than Manuel, I would not at all be shocked if our entire FA period and draft is reeling in solid, immediate starter guards and Tight Ends.

I would love to have a receiving talent like Thomas but he is a terrible blocker so unless they are going to be at least 3 wide 100% of the time I can't see it.

Now with Greg Roman as OC does it make sense to look at Christian Ponder FA as a viable QB option to compete with EJ. Ponder can scramble, make most throw's of short to intermediate passes been in the league since 2011 and started his first year.

Then we use our 5th round pick on this kid out of South Alabama Brandon Bridge. Big, Fast, Strong Arm....though needs some time to develop.

I'm overall pretty happy with the hire - not sure we could've done better, honestly. Maybe Trestman? Then again, Trestman's offensive success in the CFL mostly revolved around having the greatest QB in CFL history, and his 2 years in Chicago were a mixed bag, so it's not like Trestman is a sure thing.

The thing that gives me maybe the most concern about Roman is this: I've seen a number of comments from Bills fans or reporters looking at SF's offense last year that basically said that most of the problems were due to the QB missing reads and/or missing open receivers. But according to many of the all-22 reviewers for the Bills, that was exactly our problem last year. I still have some hope for Manuel, but not a lot, and he certainly has missed his share of reads/receivers in his young career.