Greg Roman for OC

BillsFanMike

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You come for the players and the game, but you stay for the post-game HC presser. Especially when that HC is a freakin nut job. Love it.

Ryan is about as entertaining of a coach as there is, but I'm proud to say I've never watched a head coach after game PC. Coach funny is not Louis CK funny.

How many coaches do this? Football is football. You need good coaching but if your players suck there is not much you can do.

Ah, here we go again, another person highlighting a specific part to tailor their own perception.

I'm not saying a coach nowadays will or even can... I didn't suggest as much either. My observation is simply that the way half of the fan base is banging on about Roman, you would expect just that. And in fact, in numerous threads I've seen the words "creative" and "innovative" attached to Roman. Now tell me, if someone isn't able redefine the game by even a slither then he or she is hardly "innovative" or completely out-right "creative".

I haven't even seen it. He's run first - which is good given our QB situation. When the run has to be abandoned? Yeah... I have seen absolute jack-squat from his offenses.

Ryan is about as entertaining of a coach as there is, but I'm proud to say I've never watched a head coach after game PC. Coach funny is not Louis CK funny.

That's like saying, "I would never sully my lips with a Chips Ahoy cookie because they aren't nearly as delicious as my mother's cookies." No, you just eat the Chips Ahoy cookies because they're sorta tasty.

And please, don't come back with the whole "if the players suck" scenario. San Fran' had plenty of talent on offense to throw the ball successfully and were completely underwhelming. On second thought, given the pieces they have had, it's disgusting how badly they threw the ball.
Still, he's a great hire and is definitely creative.

OP- very cool, well done!

-

Has it truly been confirmed that the Schwartz is locked in?

I read that it would be improbable for Ryan to part ways with Dennis Thurmann.

If Schwartz remained as DC, Thurmann would be secondary coach, no? Perhaps with token assistant HC tag? Bad news for Donnie Henderson. Bills would be wise to keep him around if possible. Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I was scouring Greg Roman's record and thought I'd share some tidbits I uncovered.

In his time as OC in SF

His teams where 50/50 pass/run, interestingly very consistent 2011-14; 50-49-47-53

RUNNING GAME: Y/Run 2011-4.1 19th, 2012-5.1 3rd, 2013-4.4 9th, 2014-4.6 4th

His teams have been strong teams running the ball, they had a good run blocking line and a mobile QB who helped the cause. The times I've seen the 49ers they seem to like to pound the ball between the tackles and run some option with the QB.

PASSING ATTACK: Using PFR ANY rating which includes everything (sacks, TDs, Int etc.)

ANY rate Y/Pass ATT

2014 24th 5.6

2013 7th 6.7

2012 6th 7.1

2011 12th 6.2

His teams have been pretty efficient passing the ball prior to this season. Top 12 3 of 4 yrs.

The niners passing game is interesting upon further examination. They throw rarely to the RB. Most of the passing game is to the WR targeting each one sometimes 125-150 a season. The TE is also a threat in his attack because he had Vernon Davis.

His QBs don't turn the ball over ranking 1st,4th,7th, 9th in INT %.

One very interesting point about the offense is they are usually near the bottom in Sack %. Ranking 29-30-30-31!!!! I thought this might mean it was more of a big play attack. Twice in the last 4 years they ranked 2nd and 7th in Yards/ Comp. However, this year that fell to 17th in the league, It was 22nd the year Alex Smith played regularly. In Comp% they ranked 24th and 25th the last 2 years. Again, with Smith and in Kaep first years they were 4th and 12th. Kind of a mixed bad for big plays.

SUMMARY: He likes to be balanced run vs pass, likes the play action passing game off of a power running attack. When they throw they have gotten some big plays, especially at TE. And, have been pretty efficient avoiding turnovers (usually one of the top teams in this regard).

Finally, In yards/ drive and points/drive his teams have been pretty good prior to this season where they ranked 19 and 24 respectively. In points/drive 2011-2013 12th,9th, 12th.

Hope this helps.

And please, don't come back with the whole "if the players suck" scenario. San Fran' had plenty of talent on offense to throw the ball successfully and were completely underwhelming. On second thought, given the pieces they have had, it's disgusting how badly they threw the ball.

Still, he's a great hire and is definitely creative.

I never said that

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2326213-greg-roman-to-bills-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

"He'll bring a run-heavy, ball-control philosophy to Buffalo and has been at his best in the past working with athletic quarterbacks who can run the read-option. The 49ers did utilize a wider variety of spread formations and attempted to throw the ball more this season, though the team finished 20th in yards per game and 25th in points per contest, suggesting to many that the shift in philosophy backfired.

However, that may not be entirely accurate. According to Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee, "One team source said he analyzed all the plays that the 49ers ran from the opponent’s 35-yard line and in and estimated the team wasted more than 100 points. The biggest culprit: Drops and missing open receivers."

It's hard to blame Roman for that."

Edited by Lurker