If Marrone wants to keep Hackett I'm okay with it

TheFunPolice

So thinking that Marrone should be able to control who is on his staff is the same thing as wanting a president who blatantly and repeatedly abused his power to remain in office?

I am truly sad when I think of the state of education in this country.

That said, to those who want to keep Marrone but dictate who he hires/fires: so you think he is worth keeping, you trust him, but you want to tell him how to do his job?

That never works.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to talk him into replacing Hackett himself. But if he insisted I would say "okay, coach. It's your call. Also, your expectation this season is the playoffs, and that is what your evaluation will be based upon."

I want to see my HC look at the guy he hired to run his offense and go, "look it's been 2 years, you're just not getting the job done. I'm going to replace you".

IMO Hackett hasn't done anything to warrant a 3rd season running the offense of the Buffalo Bills.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So thinking that Marrone should be able to control who is on his staff is the same thing as wanting a president who blatantly and repeatedly abused his power to remain in office?

I am truly sad when I think of the state of education in this country.

That said, to those who want to keep Marrone but dictate who he hires/fires: so you think he is worth keeping, you trust him, but you want to tell him how to do his job?

That never works.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to talk him into replacing Hackett himself. But if he insisted I would say "okay, coach. It's your call. Also, your expectation this season is the playoffs, and that is what your evaluation will be based upon."

This thing is three steps from the politics board.

Step 1:Blue dress

Step 2: hanging chad

Step 3: weapons of mass destruction

Step 4: Obama

Any three of the four should do the trick.

P. S. Nixon > Obama; Nixon > GWB

Sorry- Not to brag, but I have a Master's Degree in American History.

I guess that settles it then!

Remember it's 5 pumps in the venti size, and 3 in the grande!

I'm just messing with you... I have a liberal arts degree so I need to know coffee shop ratios! lol

I get it: people hate Hackett. I don't like him either but if you are going to start dictating assistant coaches to a guy who is a freaking saint maybe you should just fire the HC

Marrone is going to keep him because it's Marrone's offense. Unless ordered to do so by management/ownership AND he doesn't quit over it, there is zero chance that Marrone will hire an innovative OC to run the offense. He will only want a guy who will run his offense, and he has that guy already.

Marrone is going to keep him because it's Marrone's offense. Unless ordered to do so by management/ownership AND he doesn't quit over it, there is zero chance that Marrone will hire an innovative OC to run the offense. He will only want a guy who will run his offense, and he has that guy already.

Exactly. If you want St. Doug you get St. Doug's team.

I personally want Hackett gone. But I would not force my head coach to fire assistants because that never works out.

You have to give the guy a chance to sink or swim on his merits if you are going to keep him around. Empower him and then hold him accountable if he doesn't get the team to the playoffs next season by firing him.

Exactly. If you want St. Doug you get St. Doug's team.

I personally want Hackett gone. But I would not force my head coach to fire assistants because that never works out.

You have to give the guy a chance to sink or swim on his merits if you are going to keep him around. Empower him and then hold him accountable if he doesn't get the team to the playoffs next season by firing him.

I pretty much agree with you but the end result is so obvious that I say we simply skip a step and fire him now.

I guess that settles it then!

Remember it's 5 pumps in the venti size, and 3 in the grande!

I'm just messing with you... I have a liberal arts degree so I need to know coffee shop ratios! lol

I get it: people hate Hackett. I don't like him either but if you are going to start dictating assistant coaches to a guy who is a freaking saint maybe you should just fire the HC

LOL. I don't hate Hackett, nor do I advocate firing Marrone either. I do think Marrone has to check his emotions at the door and recognize the issues that lay with the offense and, specifically, the OC position. And I hope that upper management and Pegula do not emulate the Wilson legacy of attempting to force the hand of the head coach when it comes to his assistants. It would establish an ugly precedent.

Ok so last year special teams were awful and everyone crying that Crossman shold be fired. Marrone stuck to his guns and kept Crossman.

One year later, special teams has shown great improvement and so has the teams record.

I think we shold let Marrone call the shots, even if that includes keeping Hackett. The team is headed in the right direction.

Hacket has got to go. IMO he is the reason this team did not make the playoffs. They lost too many winnable games because of poor play calling and misuse of personnel on offense. Get a proven OC and this is a playoff team with no other changes.

I'm not a Hackett fan and would love to see him replaced.

But we all have to admit that he wasn't given a lot to work with. That OL made it very hard to establish a run or pass game. The lack of the confidence in the OL affected the play-calling as well as the decision-making of the QB.

We'd all maybe have a higher opinion of Hackett if he had been given a competent OL and an experienced QB who had been here through camp.

The offense needs a shake up. The talent on the offense needs an upgrade for sure, but the coaching on the offensive side needs an upgrade too. Marone might be willing to keep his offense but adding in another mind who likes to run a similar offense but can add additional concepts and better positional coaching might improve results.

I've come around full circle on Hackett. Not that he knows what he's doing (he doesn't) but he shouldn't take the blame for this offense. Some OP posted an article laying out the argument that this is Doug Marrone's offense. All Hackett is doing is implementing it. It's like blaming Curtis Modkins for Chan Gailey's offense. I think the best we can hope for is to bring in an offensive "consultant" (similar to Dick LeBeau in 2004) to bring some different ideas and a fresh perspective. That and a new offensive line coach.

People OK with Hackett staying=People who wanted Nixon to remain president

Nixon was actually a competent president. He just tape recorded his opponent (that he would have beat anyway). Hackett is not even competent.

Ok so last year special teams were awful and everyone crying that Crossman shold be fired. Marrone stuck to his guns and kept Crossman.

One year later, special teams has shown great improvement and so has the teams record.

I think we shold let Marrone call the shots, even if that includes keeping Hackett. The team is headed in the right direction.

But our offense still sucks, and its year 2.

You also have to know when to cut ties with something / someone that is not working. Hackett has his chance, two years with no improvement (and arguably a worse performance) is enough evidence for me. If he stays, I'll be far from thrilled.

When i can sit on my couch and predict the Bills next offensive play over 50% of the time, there is a serious problem.

***SARCASM ALERT***

When you say "predict the next play", do you mean "run" or "pass"? That's pretty impressive to get right half the time.

I'm not ok with it and here's why.

1. Hackett has proven he thinks he's smarter than other OC's in the league by trying to buck the trend and beat a team in the opposite fashion (ie passing against Houston when they can't stop the run), and giving up on the run against Oakland (another bad run D team)

2. Hackett does not make adjustments in game. He either isn't smart enough to do it, doesn't prepare for teams shutting down parts of his offense or is just plain stubborn and won't give up. This isn't a good thing.

3. Hackett does not have a grasp on game control, and overall just seems to be lost when he's out there. He isn't NFL ready yet.

Well said. Hackett is pathetic. So are Maronne and Whaley.

Right on. The only good thing that will come out of Hackett returning next season is that when the Bills offense fails again both Hackett and Maronne will get the axe.

Edited by Bills Realist

Well said. Hackett is pathetic. So are Maronne and Whaley.

That's great, what a valuable contribution you have made to the board!

I think what the OP is saying is that if u don't trust the coach to manage his OC, you should fire the coach not the OC. If u do trust the coach, shut up and see if it was a wise decision.

Look there were a lot of people on this board last year demanding crossman's head and saying that if he didn't Fire crossman Marrone should be fired.

Look how that turned out.

May be tougher to do with offense, but when u increase by 3 wins and were one game and a 3rd tiebreaker out of the playoffs with kyle Orton, and have the best record in a decade, and knew enough about coordinators to choose one that could improve a world class defense. Then I think you deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If there is no improvement next year, you boot the whole team unless Marrone offers to make changes.

No sense in keeping a coach who

Has been neutered of his ability to make coaching decisions. It's no longer his team and he will never take ownership of it.

This is why so many coaches walk when u ask them to fire their coordinators. It's not because of blind loyalty, it's because they think the coordinator is doing the right thing and that something else is the problem.

Anyways, add 3 more wins next year. 12-4, top the afc east, lose to the mother f ing wildcard pats in the playoffs after splitting the regular season.

Joy.... And Pain.