Did Whaley Panic?

rfk

it is truly shameless bias. makes you wonder about "astroturf" obd planted posters here except that no one is on the pay clock Christmas day. regardless, it's the type complacency that perpetuates 15 non playoff seasons.

So, you are in the fire them all and start again camp. Not without merit, but, doing that means that the defense is wasted.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody has a crystal ball. If they did, Beckham would have been the number 1 or 1a pick with Khalil Mack. Brady would have been picked before the 6th. We'd take Gronkowski. Wilson. All of them.

You deal with what's in front of you. They were trying to move up to number 2 to get Watkins.

Question: How do you think Watkins would do with Brady throwing to him? 2000 yards? Watkins is a great player. Beckham is great too. Who knew?

CK was rated as high as 11th in the draft. I still think the reason he sucked this year is poor coaching. Our line has plenty of taken. Eric Wood was Pro Bowl calibre two years ago. Glenn was a rising star. Richardson was a unanimous All American. Henderson is Henderson. He's a rookie starter at RT. But that's because he was the best high school player in America 4 years ago. He's got world class talent. They couldn't mess that up. I think he could have played better.

The signing I did not like was Chris Williams. The guy was never very good wherever he played. He was a high draft choice who never panned out, and he didn't do much here before he was hurt.

Maybe they should bring in that 90 year old guy who used to coach the Rams offensive line.

Sully mentioned bringing back Bill Polian. Maybe it's time to do exactly that. How good was Bennett? We gave up a ton to get that guy. But it took the right defense for him to dominate. Maybe giving up what we did to get Sammy will pan out better when he's got the right QB and OL in place. It might be Manuel and the guys we have now plus Iupati and another guy

Nobody has a crystal ball. If they did, Beckham would have been the number 1 or 1a pick with Khalil Mack. Brady would have been picked before the 6th. We'd take Gronkowski. Wilson. All of them.

You deal with what's in front of you. They were trying to move up to number 2 to get Watkins.

Question: How do you think Watkins would do with Brady throwing to him? 2000 yards? Watkins is a great player. Beckham is great too. Who knew?

By this rationale, no GM can ever be held accountable for anything because "Who knew?" The are paid to know--in advance.

So, you are in the fire them all and start again camp. Not without merit, but, doing that means that the defense is wasted.

Isn't a wasted defense exactly what happened the last two years?

Whaley didn't panic at all. He swung for the fences. And the ball is still going back, back, back. It'll be a few years before we know if he hit it out of the park.

I'm not surprised that the hot-pocket segment of society doesn't appreciate that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

So we weren't getting a good QB either way in the 1st and any other position can be signed in FA. I still think Watkins > Beckham.

It makes no sense to me to compare what one did with one team/coach/QB and what the other did with completely different opponents and variables and then think differently. Watkins is 75 away from 1000 with no one able to throw him a catchable ball all year.I don't have any idea what Beckham or anyone else would have done with the errant passes.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Here is an interesting question: would Whaley have done the trade if Ralph hadn't died?

I doubt it.

That's a BS story invented by the media. Ralph passing had nothing to do with it.

By this rationale, no GM can ever be held accountable for anything because "Who knew?" The are paid to know--in advance.

Isn't a wasted defense exactly what happened the last two years?

No. They get evaluated for everything...the good and the bad. Right now you are venting after a bad loss.

Panic is not the right word IMO. He took Sammy because he was going all in for 2014. Misguided might be a better word. Misguided in his belief that EJ was ready to take advantage of Watkins' talent.

This is how I feel as well. Not panic, he probably really believed (might well still) that Manuel has what it takes to be a good NFL QB.

Whaley didn't panic at all. He swung for the fences. And the ball is still going back, back, back. It'll be a few years before we know if he hit it out of the park.

I'm not surprised that the hot-pocket segment of society doesn't appreciate that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

He did swing for the fences assuming he had a QB in place. Although I have felt all along that giving up the extra first for Watkins was foolish with such a good WR class, the real mistake (so far anyway) was EJ Manuel.

Edited by CodeMonkey

No he didn't panic on the Watkins selection, it was a good pick. He whiffed on the lineman with the exception of Henderson, but overall the draft wasn't bad. I'm looking for him to come back with an even better draft and a good free agent pickup or two to upgrade the offense even more. He absolutely MUST do something about that line no matter who the QB is. So what if we don't have a first round pick, just hit on the picks that we do have!

I do not think Whaley panicked as such. Farmer just out negotiated Whaley and Whaley overpaid.

I think Whaley could have gotten Sammy for less given the market set the previous year when Miami traded less to move up more slots. I will not ask Whaley to negotiate my next car purchase.

Having said the above, I still like Sammy and having him on the team. I cannot hold what Whaley did against Sammy.

I do not think Whaley panicked as such. Farmer just out negotiated Whaley and Whaley overpaid.

I think Whaley could have gotten Sammy for less given the market set the previous year when Miami traded less to move up more slots. I will not ask Whaley to negotiate my next car purchase.

Having said the above, I still like Sammy and having him on the team. I cannot hold what Whaley did against Sammy.

I can respect this but another way to look at it is Oakland got fleeced entirely by Miami, given the precedents set in prior years; the market corrected itself. You may not want Whaley with you when you buy that car, but I'll bet you'd LOVE to buy it from the Raiders, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

That's a BS story invented by the media. Ralph passing had nothing to do with it.

Makes sense though. The FO and coaching staff are playing for their jobs now. So, they go all in right now. If they felt like they had more job security (ie, no new owner on the way), I am not sure they are as aggressive with the Watkins move.

Makes sense though. The FO and coaching staff are playing for their jobs now. So, they go all in right now. If they felt like they had more job security (ie, no new owner on the way), I am not sure they are as aggressive with the Watkins move.

I never saw it that way. Yes, they went all in but not to "save" their jobs. Whaley did it because he thought Watkins made the Bills better. Too bad none of our QBs or O-line were worth a damn.

I am not in favor of the trade but I don't think the comparison to the previous draft is relevant. Every draft is different. In a draft where there is no consensus as to the top players, such as 2013, it is relatively cheap to move up. That was not the case in 2014, where there were thought to be 6 or so premium talents available. The RGIII draft is another good example--normally it would not cost nearly that much to move up from 6 to 2.