Watkins in the backfield?

Bocephuz

I thought Mike McCarthy putting Randall Cobb in the backfield in the second half was a bold/effective move. I believe they handed off to him ( for a run up the middle) once, had him motion out for a screen pass .. and then motion out for a normal route.

This is the kind of progressive thinking I would love to see from Hackett and co.

Sammy Watkins seems like a perfect fit for this type of thing. He excels at YAC and is big enough to absorb the hits he would take from the backfield.

The only thing that would make me pause is the potential for him fumbling.

Obviously this would be a limited package. Maybe 3 or 4 snaps of him lining up in the backfield per half in this formation? What does everyone else think?

Edited by Bocephuz

I'm still not convinced he's fully healthy, and it's his first season so he's already fighting through the fatigue, and we have a horrid interior line. So I'd say it's a good idea, but not for this year. We'd just be exposing him to a clobbering if we put him back there right now.

I think we would definitely need to be careful about it and use it in a limited fashion. Just because he lines up in the backfield doesn't necessarily mean we hand it off to him every snap. I think the threat of it would certainly make defenses think twice.

I can't remember the exact point in the game, but it was late and the Bills were trying to drive. Sammy had the ball and was running for a critical 1st down and instead of plowing forward he just dove to the ground and I was almost positive he was short. I think it got called back for a penalty anyway but it reminded me of Orton's slide last week short of the first.

Did anyone else see that? If that kid isn't still hurt I'm really, really concerned with his avoidance of contact. Wasn't one of the things he was known for in college plowing over defenders? I've seen him go down to avoid contact all season.

I can't remember the exact point in the game, but it was late and the Bills were trying to drive. Sammy had the ball and was running for a critical 1st down and instead of plowing forward he just dove to the ground and I was almost positive he was short. I think it got called back for a penalty anyway but it reminded me of Orton's slide last week short of the first.

Did anyone else see that? If that kid isn't still hurt I'm really, really concerned with his avoidance of contact. Wasn't one of the things he was known for in college plowing over defenders? I've seen him go down to avoid contact all season.

I thought he was short too but in fact the yellow first down marker was off by a yard. They only needed to get to the 20 and not the 19 like the line indicated. It was weird because they left it there after the penalty too. He did indeed have the first down when he went down though.

I prefer when Lee Smith is in the backfield :).

It is definitely something that should be considered. Sammy's health at the moment is a concern though I would think. They don't want to expose him to too much of a pounding. I kind of imagined him being used like Cobb or Harvin.

#legendofleesmith

can you imagine him (sammy, not lee) and spiller both being able to play off each other in that kind of role?

#legendofleesmith

can you imagine him (sammy, not lee) and spiller both being able to play off each other in that kind of role?

That is exactly what we need IMO. Those 2 are our most talented skill players by quite a bit. It'd be nice to be able to get them the football with space and let them go to work.

He'll get wrecked out of the backfield. Use him as a situational receiver for now . Keep him healthy if possible. Trade him in 2015. He gets hurt too easily...and is no great shakes. Appears Sammy for Stevie = total wash. Sorry I'm just not seeing it in Sammy.

Watkins?

I'll settle for a fullback, 3 wide, and no TE. That's right. ..a full back. What a cutting edge concept!

Anything to keep Lee Smith and a line of 7 blockers we just slam into creating 7 in the box (often 8 bc the SS cheats bc we're predictable) off the field and to spread it out, force the D to decide to keep 3 LBS on the field or 2.

Is Summers alive?

Edited by Big Blitz

I thought Mike McCarthy putting Randall Cobb in the backfield in the second half was a bold/effective move. I believe they handed off to him ( for a run up the middle) once, had him motion out for a screen pass .. and then motion out for a normal route.

This is the kind of progressive thinking I would love to see from Hackett and co.

Sammy Watkins seems like a perfect fit for this type of thing. He excels at YAC and is big enough to absorb the hits he would take from the backfield.

The only thing that would make me pause is the potential for him fumbling.

Obviously this would be a limited package. Maybe 3 or 4 snaps of him lining up in the backfield per half in this formation? What does everyone else think?

Fourth and one against Cleveland he was lined up as tailback behind Dixon. Dixon went up the middle for no gain.

I think the same, he is not healthy and hasn't been since the preseason rib hits. I saw him in collage take those bubble screens and run through DB's. We haven't seen any of those. Let's hope that is the issue and next year the ne OC using him in a variety of ways.

There was a play last week when he was lined up in the backfield. They may have handed it to the up man, Boobie or someone, but he was definitely in the back of the QB for at least one play.

weve been getting little glimpses here and there the last month or so -- ive seen a lot more of the WRs coming over the top on fakes during running plays too, which is nice. i think speed and misdirection is where we win with this group, and the occasional bruising if the other team goes too small trying to keep up.