Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

Mel Keiper is an idiot but let's face it, that's hardly breaking news.

Winston has everything you would want in a QB minus the fact that he is personally immature. Hopefully he'll grow up and make better decisions. I think we tend to over do the stupid things.

The sexual allegations are troubling but unfortunately we have no idea what really took place.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zak (chicago)

Where will Russell Wilson go in the draft?

Mel Kiper (1:57 PM)

He's only about 5-10, 5-11. The height will really hurt him. He's an outstanding college QB. He did some great things at NC State. Did some great things at Wisconsin this year. He's like Seneca Wallace type. Maybe a 6-7 round pick. Serviceable backup.

Kipper and his hair are ridiculous. http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/41597/football-guru-mel-kiper

I would be curious to read Kiper's explanation for why Mariota is not a "franchise QB". IMO, Mariota is easily the best prospect since Luck and will be a better pro than Luck.

Better pro? Than luck? The guy who's been a probowl qb every year? Mariota probably won't even be the best qb in this draft.

I am always skeptical of people in a position like his. Fans listen to him and think he knows more about evaluating talent than people who do it for a living. Moments after every draft, fans are waiting for these so called experts draft grades. Clinging to the hope that their team did good. Football is a business, to some degree the teams have to appease the fans, during the draft, to sell season tickets. Do you really think Cleveland wanted to draft Johnny football in the first round? I guarantee you that people like Mel having JF so high on their draft board influenced Cleveland's decision. In the multi-billion dollar industry of the NFL, i would not put it past the agents to slide some money to these people to get their client higher up the draft board. Honestly, how did the Bills draft Aaron Maybin at #11? How did they draft James Hardy at #41? I just have no use for people like Mel.

Interesting take. The politics implied are: If you're contrarian and wrong you're an idiot. If you go with the status quo talking heads and you're wong it's just unlucky.

Yeah, I wish somebody could pull up a pre-draft evaluation of Brady.

it's incredible to me with all the money time and effort spent evaluating quarterbacks how mysterious the art of selecting good versus bad remains.

I think that describes EJ Manuel too, but the jury is still out on him.

EJ Manuel's and Marcus Mariota's college careers are not remotely comparable. Nice try, though.

Better pro? Than luck? The guy who's been a probowl qb every year? Mariota probably won't even be the best qb in this draft.

I guess we'll see, won't we?

Some on here love Mariota some love Winston.... a few in each camp think their guy is better than Luck. If I was the Buccs I'd take Marcus Mariota but I think they are going to take Winston..... frankly I think either would be a very good pick but not the guaranteed Franchise transformer that Luck was.

I've never understood this argument..

Is the point that fans got it wrong so they should lay off the GM for getting it wrong too?

I get the frustration with fans acting afterwards like they thought the choice was obvious but that does not excuse poor choices by the men paid millions to get it right.

This Sir, is a great post.

People like you and me are not likely to ace a draft let alone properly asses every quarterback. That said, for many years I have seen posters on this board post better draft selections than our inept management, especially Levy/Jauron.

When a guy like me think that Rob Johnson is a good qb and is wrong, no harm done.

When our management uses top ten picks on the likes of Whitner and Spiller, they harm the franchise.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This Sir, is a great post.

People like you and me are not likely to ace a draft let alone properly asses every quarterback. That said, for many years I have seen posters on this board post better draft selections than our inept management, especially Levy/Jauron.

When a guy like me think that Rob Johnson is a good qb and is wrong, no harm done.

When our management uses top ten picks on the likes of Whitner and Spiller, they harm the franchise.

Levy drafted maybe the best rb in the NFL.

Levy drafted maybe the best rb in the NFL.

He sure did. The problem was that there was little blocking and no quarterback. Oh, and the Bills lost football games.

It mattered little. The 2006 draft was just so awful that it set the team back quite a few years. Levy and Jauron were simply inept managers that nobody else wanted.