Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

1. Kiper's track record is about as good as GM's picking QBs in the sixth round. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

2. If there are no franchise QBs in this spring's draft, then the hit from trading our 1st rounder is not so bad. Right? I mean, if we were missing out on Andrew Luck from this move, then OK. But we're not. And we weren't going to be so bad with this defense to be contending for a top five pick this year anyway.

3. MM is a good prospect, better than Jameis. Could be really good, and will not be a bust. We would never be able to get him anyway. I think he's going to the Jets, and I'm not happy about that. With MM and Chris Ivory, and a new HC, the Jets could get turned around quick.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the point is that about 3% of those mid-late round guys pan out at QB. Maybe it's a little higher but nowhere near 10%. Yet everyone is outraged that their team is where 95% of the teams are. The point is that if it were easy everyone would have identified Romo or Brady instead of Kyle Boller & Giovanni Carmazzi.

Before the draft everyone on here will love Mariotta & Winston (like evey analyst in the world). 3 years later they will all say that they loved whichever (if any) mid to late round guy that pans out. So every team in the league will have passed on said player multiple times yet all of the posters on here knew it was a mistake. It's easy to recognize Romo & Brady in hindsight but at the time there were hundreds of collegiate prospects that scouts liked more.

+1

Keep holding the fort on making these kind of solid, reasoned arguments...there's so little of it left on TSW.

If Jameis Winston is not a successful, starting QB in the NFL, I'm done. That's it! I'm out!

Totally agree with you. It is rather astounding that Winston's talent doesn't classify him as a "franchise QB" to the likes of Mel Kiper. But then - Mel Kiper's opinion isn't worth a damn anyways. Completely disagree with those that think Mariotta is better than Winston - but we will soon have a great chance to compare them. Winston naysayers will soon get a dose of reality when he becomes a great QB - IF he doesn't turn pro in baseball first (which I would do in a heartbeat rather than get beat up physically in th NFL).

I would not draft Jameis. I do not think that he is nearly as good as he is made out to be. I also think that he has other issues. If there is not franchise QB (which we never would be able to get in the draft in any event), I would rather see what is out there in terms of free agents and continute to develop EJ.

EJ is not where he needs to be, but we know he is a good teammate, is never going to get in trouble, and I still think that he has room to grow.

I also think that there will be better QBs available in free agency than anything that Jameis would be able to give us in the near term.

I would not draft Jameis. I do not think that he is nearly as good as he is made out to be. I also think that he has other issues. If there is not franchise QB (which we never would be able to get in the draft in any event), I would rather see what is out there in terms of free agents and continute to develop EJ.

EJ is not where he needs to be, but we know he is a good teammate, is never going to get in trouble, and I still think that he has room to grow.

I also think that there will be better QBs available in free agency than anything that Jameis would be able to give us in the near term.

In wouldnt be too concerned if I were you. Barring a total collapse there's no way he's available anywhere near where we can make our first pick

Edited by JTSP

I agree with the sentiment that Mariota is the best guy since Luck. I don't watch as much CFB as you guys though... because to get it here in the UK you have to find a dodgy internet stream and the quality of those streams is variable. I do like Mariota though. Is he a slam dunk #1 overall Quarterback? Maybe not... but I think he will go first overall and I think he will have a good NFL career. Better tha Luck? Not for me but I do like him.

I'm intrigued by Connor Cook as well. I think he has said he isn't going to declare hasn't he? I kinda like him as much as I liked Bortles last year (when i thought Bortles was the best bet in an overrated class). I could get behind drafting Cook in 2016 in the 1st round if he is still there outside the top 10 (cos with this D I'm surprised if we are drafting top 10 next year).

I agree with the sentiment that Mariota is the best guy since Luck. I don't watch as much CFB as you guys though... because to get it here in the UK you have to find a dodgy internet stream and the quality of those streams is variable. I do like Mariota though. Is he a slam dunk #1 overall Quarterback? Maybe not... but I think he will go first overall and I think he will have a good NFL career. Better tha Luck? Not for me but I do like him.

I'm intrigued by Connor Cook as well. I think he has said he isn't going to declare hasn't he? I kinda like him as much as I liked Bortles last year (when i thought Bortles was the best bet in an overrated class). I could get behind drafting Cook in 2016 in the 1st round if he is still there outside the top 10 (cos with this D I'm surprised if we are drafting top 10 next year).

cook, so far, has said he is staying for his senior year. He should. He's my guy as well.

pro football is the worlds greatest game

its only weakness is that the QB position is so damn hard to play that literally years go by sometimes without a single elite quarterback emerging from the thousands of star athletes that play the position across the country.

you have to be the worst team in the NFL on the exact year prior to the rare occurence that a guy like Luck or Manning is draft eligible.

when it comes to consistent winning, everything else is meaningless unless you have the right qb.